Sign in to follow this  
marvin

The Beatles - The Next Generation

Very interesting.

IMHO...they could be nothing more than a tribute band. I think it is wonderful that each of the young men is pursuing their own career in music, but the Beatles is something that simply cannot be re-created. It was so much more than the 4 guys..it was timing..it was magic.

Now, if they market it as a tribute band there might be some interest. I think if they think they can compete with the memory and icon of their Dads, they will just be setting themselves up for disappointment.

Again..just MHO...great discussion idea Marvin.. cool Jean

marvin   

Very interesting.

IMHO...they could be nothing more than a tribute band. I think it is wonderful that each of the young men is pursuing their own career in music, but the Beatles is something that simply cannot be re-created. It was so much more than the 4 guys..it was timing..it was magic.

Now, if they market it as a tribute band there might be some interest. I think if they think they can compete with the memory and icon of their Dads, they will just be setting themselves up for disappointment.

Again..just MHO...great discussion idea Marvin.. cool Jean

Each of the boys (maybe not Zak) have released solo / original material. Hence the idea as I understand it, is not to be a Beatles covers/tribute band, but to be an 'original' band that just happens to have members with surnames of McCartney, Lennon, Harrison and Starr.

I understood that Marvin. I stand by my comments in the first paragraph. The Beatles happened the way they did precisely because they appeared at a very specific place and time in history; I just don't believe that it can be recreated by anyone.

I am familiar with all the solo efforts and have especially enjoyed what I heard from Julian Lennon. I am not trying to take anything anyway from them as individual musicians. It's admirable for them to "dream big." That's what being young is all about.

Jean

marvin   

The Beatles, their influence and music aside, I have no illusions that this "The Next Generation" could be great or even good. However, James M does seem to have those illusions. This is an idea that has been discussed for years, and if it actually happens, I think it would be interesting to see what they could come up with.

angelina   

Buhahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously? Would any of these guys get a recording contract without their lineage?

Sure WE all love The Beatles.......but the current record buying public....you know...the 13 to 24 yr olds just don't give a crap in large enough numbers about the Beatles...let alone their offspring. Julian Lennon (who I actually liked) is almost 49 years old. Really? I DO think a documentary on them would be interesting.....but this just seems way too forced!

BTW...Stella McCartney called and said "Gee I'm glad I chucked the piano and attended fashion school instead"!

marvin   

If anyone is interested, music by James, Dhani and Sean are readily available on YouTube, if you want a listen. Most of it is not my cup of tea. While I agree with John (Angelina) that these guys probably wouldn't get a sniff if not for their lineage, I'd still be curious to see what they could do as a group.

angelina   

Marvin...you know better than most (and I TRULY respect your musical acumen).....a group's synergy should be organic...not pre-fab (although I DID like The Monkees). I'd be interested to see what happens...but boy oh boy....I sense a "cringe-factor" coming. smile I guess maybe I am just fearful of The Beatles image being tarnished!

marvin   

I guess maybe I am just fearful of The Beatles image being tarnished!

John, I'm not clear as to how this would tarnish the Beatles' image? There has been the odd time when the offspring of a famous musician has actually also been good. AJ Croce (Jim's son), Teddy Thompson (Linda & Richard's son), Jacob Dylan (Bob's son), and of course Julian and Zak are some that come to mind. I have no problem with James, Dhani and Sean getting together and playing, but you're right -they better not call it "The Beatles" or anything connected to that name.

angelina   

I have a couple of points:

The only reason we even care about this group is because of its lineage. The offspring of legends certainly CAN be terrific as individuals...but as a group...hmmm I don't know. When the fab four met and formed they had a similar post-war Liverpudlian upbringing. This grouping just seems contrived and forced to me. I don't doubt that Zak is a good drummer given his experience and background. I also own some of Julian's music but I think we older folk are the target audience (Beatles fans). I imagine a backlash. I guess I choose to let the Beatles legacy stand on its own. Heck, I didn't even like "Free As A Bird" or "Real Love". But what the heck......I saw Prince before he had a hit...and I thought he sucked. BOY was I wrong! smile

MikeC   

Oh, definitely, they should dive into it. They should approach it as part work, and part fun. Having some humour will help as they tour.

They could make a pre-recorded DVD of each of them talking, before their concert, behind a curtain-

'It's you; Hey, It's you; Is it dark in here? Zak where are you? "I'm over here". Aren't you supposed to be playing the drums?

Hey, I think it's time to play. Who has the song list? Alright, we'll wing it, and play whatever comes to mind. Is anyone arguing yet?.. A One-Two-Three. (Pre-recorded screams from Beatles concerts), and then they begin.

I would like someone, or each of them, to say something humorous about their famous fathers in the concerts.

Joking around, or just play part of a theme.

Like Ringo does in Live DVD, from the Genesee concert hall. It was hot there, his band members told him, "Take it off"! And when he took off his jacket, it was to the theme of striptease music. (With laughs from the audience).

And more humour:

James of his father- Paul gave me just a little to get by. That's why I still have to work. And actually, the other band members write songs, too. We'll play some of their's. I don't mind. Smile and laugh, and tell the audience you're joking around before the joke.

Dhani: My father was great. Now, I get more selections to play in this band. And who's going to tell me otherwise? Hmmmm?

Zak: I almost didn't make it here. The band members told me to go amd buy platform shoes if I wanted to be taller. But they only had three-inch heels. They were so loud as I walked, I could have played a few songs with my feet.

Even Frank Sinatra Jr. still sings some of his famous

father's songs. He sings them, because the songs are so good.

Though he is not trying at all to be his father. That's impossible. He gives the songs themselves the respect that they desearve.

marvin   

No doubt that they're taking advantage of the 'gimmick' angle here, but I think each of those guys are talented, so as long as they don't call it "Beatles - something" (bad pun, I know), I'm ok with them trying it out and seeing what they can put together.

GMan   

It's a nice thought, but we all know that Beatle magic could never, ever be re-created again. That goes for any band or group of musicians that were or will be. The timing was right, they were the right band. It's as simple as that. We have the music to help us relive the passion and the joy. Let It Be. It will forever only be...John...Paul...George....and Ringo.

LC   

I hadn't seen this, but... I love it. I would be hugely curious to see what the sons of the Beatles came up with together.

There's no hint of "cover band" in the quotes; it would be four guys who have a unique heritage taking a crack at (from what I understand) making new music together. And heck, why not? There are no rules preventing it, as Larry David would say.

There's no doubt that we pass along certain traits and talents to our kids. I know from listening to a bit of Sean Lennon and James McCartney that they have a knack for melodies. I haven't heard anything from Dhani Harrison, except for his rhythm guitar throughout the awesome DVD Concert for George, or Zak, but man, it would be fun to hear what they'd come up with.

My other thoughts:

* My free advice would be: Don't call yourselves (as Marv started saying) "The Beatles: The Next Generation" or any name that uses or plays off the word "Beatles." They wouldn't need to be that obvious about it. They could pick some cool name that might reference the originals but without being so blatant — Plastic Soul? The Revolvers? Come Together? Nah... Better to have a totally original name.

* I'd love to see Julian involved. The poor guy — he's always gotten the short end of the stick: lack of attention from his dad, not sharing equally in the Lennon/Ono estate, harsh criticism from the music press because he has the audacity to sound and — horrors! — look like his father. I loved his Valotte album when it came out in the mid-1980s (Phil Ramone producing). After a couple of follow-ups that failed, he put out another strong album with my favorite of all of his songs, "Saltwater." (I got to interview him around that time; he struck me as really grounded and really smart.)

* I disagree with the thought that younger generations don't care about the Beatles. I know lots of teens and 20-somethings who LOVE them. In many cases, their introduction was the Beatles' "1" CD (their compilation of #1 hits), which sent kids digging further into the catalog to download all kinds of classics we know by heart.

LC   

IMHO, Sean instead of Julian = "Bad" Beatles.

Bernie

Meaning you rank Julian way ahead of Sean in terms of talent? Hmm. I hadn't thought about the two of them in that sense, probably because I don't know enough about Sean's music to make a judgment. I'm seen him play a couple of songs on TV that sounded good, but I've never been moved to buy his CD (though I probably will at some point).

I was thinking of a quintet, including Julian, rather than a Julian-instead-of-Sean thing. I just dunno why they'd want to leave anyone out. But... it is what it is. I'd listen.

marvin   

Agree with Bernie about Julian instead of Sean. That's just a personal taste. Julian's music is more appealing to my ears than Sean's, which to me has too much of Yoko's experimental leanings.

As far as Zak goes, he's a phenomenal drummer who has played with everyone.

Even if they were good, which, I don't think they would based off what I have previously heard from each of the three writers, they would be absolutely lancered in the press, especially for using the name. Paul McCartney puts out great albums and gets ripped because people still compare him to his work in The Beatles.

Let me know when "Sons of Klaatu" are formed........

MikeC   

Speaking of fashion Angelina, Stella has produced an Addidas activewear clothing, and I think shoes, also.

I hope Julian gets involved. Maybe they could use some of the photos that he has taken, to be shown on a screen onstage.

And I've seen the huge John Lennon Box set, with outtake songs, never heard before. It's about $110 dollars.

Good point, Blackhawkpat. They will be reviewed. If they play within their talents, it can be good. What kind of spirit or vibe that others get from their songs will be what the critics, I guess, will be listening to. What will stand out? Their harmonies?; The stories in their songs?; Their music?;

And. can they create some songs, with maybe a measure or two in each song, that will be unique to them? That someone will say, 'That was different there. Who else does that?'

One of The Beatles has generated alot of interest-

There's been the ongoing, and return of the "Just Imagine"-'The Legend returns. And you are there.' show on the weekends, now in L.A.. It's John Lennon portrayed by a talented artist, Tim Piper.

Here are the reviews. All by separate reviewers: Critics Choice!; Breakfast-with-The-Beatles' Approved![That's a weekly weekend radio show, every sunday mornings, on radio stations].

Remarkable!; Go!; We Say Hello! Masterful! AMAZING!; Uncanny!; Brilliant! Then the last review was just five stars! in a row, without words.

marvin   

Even if they were good, which, I don't think they would based off what I have previously heard from each of the three writers, they would be absolutely lancered in the press, especially for using the name. Paul McCartney puts out great albums and gets ripped because people still compare him to his work in The Beatles.

Let me know when "Sons of Klaatu" are formed........

Over the years, Paul has said many off-the-cuff statements which have caused people to raise eyebrows. Looks like his son James has the same way with words - saying that they would call this aggregation "The Beatles - the Next Generation." I think they should get together and see what they can come up with, but stay far away from any name connected to those other guys.

sllvnbil   

if anything,, they should have considered Julian. Sean Lennon has inherited Yoko's musical talent {zero!}!, certainly not John's!! To call it a Beatles related project {no pun intended} is all wrong in my book.