Sign in to follow this  
pauliemississippi

NASCAR Racing Fantasy League

Muzza   

Sheesh. I went to do my usual Friday morning (our time) thing and pick my team to find its closed on Thursday this time. Be nice if they sent me the email in plenty of time to warn me.

Not Happy. Never mind. I guess I just have to hope that last week's team does better this week.

LC   

Gang! Get your picks in by 2 a.m. June 2 (that's, like, two hours after midnight tonight!).

Marlene, your drivers are maxed out, so dump 'em and hire some new rides....

I still owe a catch-up report for here.... I missed the opp to brag about being in 1st place two weeks in a row. Now John has regained the lead, but I'm expecting a big push from the likes of Paulie, Suzanne, and Muzza, our most astute NASCARists. (Like that word?) (A little wimpy, but...)

Muzza   

Made my choices for this weekend. Seems I did OK last week so hoping I'm on the up and up.

Larry, do you have an update on where each of us is on our team??

Let's go racing..!!!

Muzza   

I'm hoping for an improvement this week although I've had a couple of top 5's and a couple of top 10's. I need some wins.

Picked my drivers so we'll see what happens after the weekend.

grin

Muzza   

Well...I've made my changes. Here's hoping I can get some improvement from my drivers. Maybe it's because I'm paying them in New Zealand dollars that makes them not drive so fast.

LC   

Well, the Prodigal Commissioner has returned. Family, work, and life in general have kept me from filing reports on Raspberries Racing Group fantasy league action, so... let's get to it.

We'll start with a long-overdue wrap-up of the Spring Segment. (There are three segments to the season: Spring, Summer, and Playoffs.)

SPRING SEGMENT RESULTS

The winner of our Spring season (Bonfanti drum roll):

The RickyBobbyBooyahs.

John's team lived up to its name by storming from behind to finish with 3,389 points. Final Spring Segment points:

1. John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 3,389 points

2. Paulie's Great Expectations: 3,298 points

3. LC's Long Hot Days: 3,277 points

4. Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 3,105 points

5. Marlene's Desperate Fools: 2,903 points

6. Muzza's Fast Kiwi's 2,899 points

7. Suzanne's Go All the Ways: 2,743 points

8. Lew's BundleAgainstCurrent: 2,723 points

Now, some of our owners missed a week or two, so it's telling to look at our weekly averages during the Spring Segment:

• Marlene: 290.2 points per week

• John: 282.4

• Paulie: 274.8

• LC: 273.1

• Lew: 272.3

• Pat: 258.8

• Suzanne: 249.3

• Muzza: 241.5

So... that was our first stab at this thing, and I thought it was great fun. The challenge is, it presents two weekly deadlines: to pick your 10-person driving team every week, one day before the qualifying race, and then to set your "active" lineup of drivers before the actual race. Sometimes, you just don't make the deadlines.

For example, Marlene used up all her starts by her drivers (we can use each driver no more than nine times all season), and didn't get her lineup fixed in time for each of the last two races. Missed deadlines meant zero points those last two weeks.

However, everyone got on the ball for the Summer segment, and it looks like we've had fully active teams.

SUMMER SEGMENT: IN PROGRESS

Muzza came out of the gate full speed ahead, winning the first week of the Summer session with 292 points. Right on his heels was Lew Bundles with 290.

After that hot start, Muzza has experienced a little engine failure, and his weekly point totals have dropped to 230, 232, 233, and a mere 102. However, Muzza knows this sport, so we're expecting to see him do some big-time climbing.

Meanwhile, yours truly has been more than a little lucky.... I keep forgetting to pick up new drivers, so I've been using my existing team. I guess it's a good thing that I miss those weekly deadlines: I've somehow won four weeks in a row! I don't know how I've done it, but after scoring just 229 points in the first Summer week, I've put up totals of 311, 348, 327, and 295. Whew!

This week, again, I forgot to clean up my roster, so I'm forced to use my same guys, but... who's complaining? My A drivers have been hot: Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth. So have my B drivers: Kasey Kahne, Marcos Ambrose, Clint Bowyer, and Martin Truex. Casey Mears and Aric Almirola have been doing okay for C spots, too.

Finishing right behind me in weeks 2 and 4 of this segment: Paulie Mississippi, who also started slow in the first week (226 points) before rebounding with 305, 266, 263, and 284. Paulie was riding Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart as his A guys early in the Summer Segment before switching to Kenseth and Denny Hamlin. He's also been leaning, effectively, on Clint Bowyer, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Juan Pablo Montoya, and classic ol' Mark Martin as B drivers.

Marlene spent much of the Spring Segment in 1st place, and while she's currently in 3rd place, she's been very consistent week to week, scoring 271, 299, 275, 258, and 271 points. Thus far, her summer rides have been Kenseth and Jimmie Johnson as A drivers; Truex, Bowyer, Kahne, and Paul Menard as B drivers; and David "Don't Call Me Ronald" Ragan and Bobby Labonte as C.

Lew Bundles was a contender in the Summer until last week, when he didn't get his roster fixed and took a zero. In the weeks prior to that, he was averaging around 250 per week: 290, 215, 256, 252. C'mon, Lew: Get back!

Suzanne's Go All the Way squad has been up and down; her point totals: 169, 198, 309, 280, 190. She had her two best weeks (309 and 280) with Jeff Gordon as her A driver but has been burned with sub-200 weeks when she had the usually reliable Kyle Busch and Jimmie Johnson in her A slot. Look for Suzanne's point totals to heat up as the summer does....

Meanwhile, we fear that Booyah John is still celebrating his Spring Segment win. His summer has been a sluggish one; just look at those point totals: 225, 246, 223, 271, 147. That last score was marred by a B driver, Greg Biffle, who had exhausted all of his Booyah starts. However, John has shown that he knows what Victory Lane is, so no one is counting him out.

Blackhawk Pat has had the toughest Summer segment of all, although it's really been the story of two bad weeks. His scores: 277, 147, 257, 250, 146.

On one hand, Pat has played some great hunches: he started Mark Martin in our first Summer week, and Martin finished 2nd. Yet he's also been burnt by some "Murphy's Law" fantasy fates; for example, in that 147-point week, he had two of the race's Top 10 finishers (Johnson and Montoya) on his bench. When he switched Johnson to his active A slot last week, JJ finished 36th. Meanwhile, Pat's backup driver, Kenseth, finished 3rd and led the race for 160 laps. Also last week, he had the race's 5th- and 7th-place drivers on the bench: Ryan Newman and Kasey Kahne. However, we know from baseball, hockey, football, and hoops that BH Pat will be in the mix before the season is done.

This week's race is Sunday, so... set your lineups. There's no race next week. The next one is Sunday, July 29. I'll post a pick-up reminder here and at Yahoo a few days before that one.

--Commissioner LC

LC   

Well, well, well... look who gets into the win column—the estimable Blackhawk Pat, who broke my four-week winning streak by putting up 296 points today. Actually, I wasn't close, with only 260 (though I did pick the race's winner, Kasey Kahne).

Pat had a weird week: no points from the Qualifying race, only 10 points from Laps Led Bonus, and he didn't have the Win or Place drivers. However, all four of his active drivers were in the Top 15, and that was enough: Clint Bowyer (3rd), Ryan Newman (10th), Matt Kenseth (13th), and Brian Vickers (15th).

Paulie finished with 294 points, just two behind Pat. Among Paulie's picks were the race winner, Kahne, and 3rd-place driver, Bowyer, plus Kenseth (13th). The place where he came up short was his C driver, David Ragan, who came in a distant 34th.

Actually, this was an overall tight week; only 53 points separated our eight contestants:

1) Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 296

2) Paulie's Great Expectations: 294

3) Muzza's Fast Kiwis: 277

4) John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 269

5) Marlene's Desperate Fools: 262

6) My Long Hot Days: 260

7) Lew's Bundles: 250

8) Suzanne's Go All the Ways: 243

Way to go, Group!

Well, well, well... look who gets into the win column—the estimable Blackhawk Pat, who broke my four-week winning streak by putting up 296 points today. Actually, I wasn't close, with only 260 (though I did pick the race's winner, Kasey Kahne).

Pat had a weird week: no points from the Qualifying race, only 10 points from Laps Led Bonus, and he didn't have the Win or Place drivers. However, all four of his active drivers were in the Top 15, and that was enough: Clint Bowyer (3rd), Ryan Newman (10th), Matt Kenseth (13th), and Brian Vickers (15th).

Paulie finished with 294 points, just two behind Pat. Among Paulie's picks were the race winner, Kahne, and 3rd-place driver, Bowyer, plus Kenseth (13th). The place where he came up short was his C driver, David Ragan, who came in a distant 34th.

Actually, this was an overall tight week; only 53 points separated our eight contestants:

1) Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 296

2) Paulie's Great Expectations: 294

3) Muzza's Fast Kiwis: 277

4) John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 269

5) Marlene's Desperate Fools: 262

6) My Long Hot Days: 260

7) Lew's Bundles: 250

8) Suzanne's Go All the Ways: 243

Way to go, Group!

If I understood what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!

LC   

Guys and girls, get your lineups set....

One thing that helps me sometimes is: Go to the NASCAR home page (off Yahoo Sports Home) and look at Race Results from 2011. See who did well last year at the track that's hosting the next race. A lot of times, drivers seem to have a pattern of doing well at certain tracks. Paulie, Muzza, and other experts -- correct me if I'm wrong!

Best,

LC

angelina   

That's funny LC........I actually do that and check the "expert" predictions. Then if all else fails I go with my favorite colors. LOL

LC   

Since my last report filed at EC.com, when we trumpeted BH Pat's amazing squeaker of a win over Paulie in Week 19, here's what's happened:

WEEK 20: John's Booyahs racing team scored 322, the only driver even close to the magical 300 mark. Behind him: Paulie (275), Suzanne and me (260), and Muzza (254). John's big pick was Jimmie Johnson at the Crown Royal/Curtiss Shaver 400 in Indianapolis. JJ won the race and also led for 99 laps, accounting for 110 points. John also had Ryan Newman (7th, for 78 points) and Martin Truex (8th, for 76 points). He even got 55 out of his C driver, Aric Almirola (19th).

WEEK 21: Paulie got his first summer win with 313 points, topping Muzza (295), Pat (285), John (284), and Marlene (258). Paulie nailed the 1st-place driver at the Pennsylvania 500: Jeff Gordon, who netted 100 points. Paulie also had the #2 driver, Kasey Kahne (99 points) and the 8th-place driver, Clinton Bowyer (76)

WEEK 22: John's racing team continues to show up his baseball squad, winning for the second time in two weeks. He scored 304 , besting Lew Bundles (298), me (284), and Paulie (238), and Muzza (234). The big dogs for John were Jimmie Johnson (3rd, 80 points), Clint Bowyer (4th, 84 points), and Ryan Newman 11th, 70 points). Aric Almirola got another huge week for John, netting 56 points by finishing 18th — which tells me I oughta pick up Almirola for my team ASAP!

So the once-healthy lead I built up in winning four straight Summer Segment races has dwindled to almost nothing. The standings:

1. LC's Long Hot Days: 2,326 points

2. Paulie's Great Expectations: 2,238

3. John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 2,147

4. Marlene's Desperate Fools: 2,103

5. Muzza's FastKiwi: 2,048

6. Lew's BundleAgainstCurrent: 2,037

7. Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 1,989

8. Suzanne's Go All the Ways: 1,907

There are four weeks left in the Summer Segment, so there's still time to make up some points, gang. Fix your lineups!

After the Summer Segment, we go right into the 10-week Playoff Segment. Nice, short season, huh folks?

:-)

LC   

Just have a few minutes to get up to speed here (no pun intended). So...

FIRST... pick up your drivers... and soon. The deadline is 5 a.m. E.S.T., just four hours from now. Well, probably too late for some of you (Muzza?) but hopefully you got your benches in order so you can have a full complement of active drivers (one A, two B, and one C driver). The race this weekend is Saturday, Aug. 25: the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee. Oh yeah!

SECOND... Wow! Blackhawk Pat apparently has been doing more than recording a new album (an excellent one, at that — I've heard some previews). He's also been boning up on NASCAR. Last weekend, he notched his second win in five weeks by scoring an astounding 339 points, second-highest total during our 13-week Summer Segment. BH Pat had Matt Kenseth as his A driver (he finished only 17th in the race but accounted for 69 fantasy points thanks to his Qualifying bonus, and Laps Led bonus.)

Better yet, "Piston Pat" had Greg Biffle and Martin Truex as B drivers, and they came in 1st and 10th, accounting for 100 points (Biffle) and 82 (Truex).

And then there was Pat's brilliant play of Sam Hornish as his C driver. Hornish was listed as NE, meaning "Not Entered in Race." But really he was, and he finished 12th and gave Pat 78 points. The perfect ploy, Pat. And don't lie — you knew exactly what you were doing.

Behind Pat's "Drivin' Arounds" entry last week were my "Long Hot Days" team with 304 points and Lew's "Bundles" team with 295 points. John ("RickyBobbyBooyahs") had 267, Paulie ("Great Expectations") had 236, and Muzza ("Fast Kiwi") had 203.

The two owners I root for the most, Marlene and Suzanne (sorry, boys; unlike y'all, they're a perfect combination of "sweet and hot") had the toughest weeks. Suzanne got let down by Jeff Gordon (21st), Kurt Busch (31st), and Jamie McMurray (39th) and finished with 151 points. But look at her bench: She likely would have had a 300-point week if she had started her reserves instead: Biffle (1st), Truex (10th), Jimmie Johnson (27th but 23 laps led), and Aric Almirola (20th). Marlene had run out of starts for her active drivers and didn't get her lineup fixed (that's the fantasy equivalent of running out of gas, or of stopping in to pit row only to find that your team had no tires left!). If Marlene had activated her bench drivers (especially Clint Bowyer, who finished 7th, and Truex), she would have pushed her well in the 200s.

So... get your rosters fixed up, folks, and watch a whole lot of race cars drive fast and turn left on Saturday.

The current standings show the team run by yours truly in (surprise) first place... for now. Paulie, John, and Muzza are drafting.... :-)

1. LC's Long Hot Days: 2,630 points

2. Paulie's Great Expectations: 2,474

3. John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 2,411

4. Muzza's FastKiwi: 2,250

5. Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 2,317

6. Lew's BundleAgainstCurrent: 2,329

7. Marlene's Desperate Fools: 2,103

8. Suzanne's Go All the Ways: 2,055

LC   

Reminder, NASCAR gang... Set your lineups before the race tonight (7:30 p.m. EST). Pat, I know you'll be glued to the TV for this one. :-) It's at Bristol (Tenn) Motor Speedway, with 43 drivers going at it. Among them is Danica Patrick; not sure if anyone is playing her this week. But I'm wishing I did....

LC, you know me, I cannot leave the tv when NASCAR is on! Me and my pal, Sam Hornish (ooops!) watch every week! This is apparently why my baseball team has plummeted, as the kids try and pull me away from the set! "If Ya Ain't First, YER LAST, baby!"

(Thanks for the kudos on the songs!)

LC   

Our buddy Muzza put it all together last weekend to win Week 24 of the Summer Segment in our Fantasy NASCAR league. His last win: a full 10 weeks ago! But Muzza got back on track at the Irwin Tools Night Race in Bristol, Tenn., on Sunday. All four of Muzza's drivers finished in the Top 10; in fact, he had the 3rd (Jeff Gordon), 4th (Brian Vickers), and 5th-place (Marco Ambrose) drivers, and also had the 10th-place driver (Paul Menard). Muzza's point total for the week: a hefty 344.

Suzanne, meanwhile, finished second in our league this week with 282 points. Jimmie Johnson was her stud driver; his 2nd-place showing gave Suzanne 98 points to go with 80 from Martin Truex (11th), 64 from Greg Biffle (19th), and 40 from Dave Blaney (26th).

A suddenly-NASCAR-conscious Blackhawk Pat came in third after having nailed his first victory one week earlier. Joey Logano (8th place, 96 points) and Kasey Kahne (9th, 84 points) led the way as Pat put up 276 points.

Our current cumulative-points standings for the Summer Segment:

1. LC's Long Hot Days (2,878 points)

2. Paulie's Great Expectations (2,700)

3. John's RickyBobbyBooyahs (2,623)

4. Muzza's FastKiwi (2,594)

5. Pat's Drivin' Arounds (2,593)

6. Lew's BundleAgainstCurrent (2,361)

7. Suzanne's Go All the Ways (2,337)

8. Marlene's Desperate Fools (2,106)

LC   

Race fans --- update you teams! You have until 5 am EST to add and drop players.

Marlene and Suzanne, where are you? You've been quiet... :updown:

LC   

FIRST... the Playoff segment begins this weekend. Get your roster set by 5 a.m. on 9/15 (Saturday -- so do it before you turn in on Friday). A lot of us are running out of starts for the top drivers, so keep an eye on that.

Second, congrats to Suzanne for ending the Summer segment with a win last weekend (the race was in Richmond, VA., my old stomping grounds). Suzanne beat the boys (and Marlene, who's MIA!) by piling up 268 points. She got lots of help from Denny Hamlin, who finished only 18th but led 202 laps of the race, accounting for 76 points for Suzanne. Greg Biffle (9th) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (14th, plus 67 laps led) accounted for 84 and 74 points, respectively. Suzanne also got 34 out of her "C" driver, Casey Mears. (The C drivers are TOUGH to pick, no? I keep leaning toward Danica Patrick, but... I'm not sure. Maybe this week....)

Finishing behind Suzanne: Blackhawk Pat, with 254 points. Pat has gone from a racing neophyte who floundered for a few weeks to, well, a racing neophyte who's suddenly scoring big. He won two of the last four races of the Summer segment and placed second and third in the other two.

My "Long Hot Days" team came in third, with John Booyah's team finishing fourth and Bundles fifth.

The final Summer segment totals (with full Season point totals in parenths):

1. LC's Long Hot Days: 3,389 (6,895)

2. John's RickyBobbyBooyahs: 3,152 (6,688)

3. Pat's Drivin' Arounds: 3,137 (6,388)

4. Paulie's Great Expectations: 3,088 (6,558)

5. Muzza's FastKiwis: 3,038 (6,128)

6. Lew's BundleAgainstCurrent: 2,876 (5,599)

7. Suzanne's Go All the Way: 2,842 (5,702)

8. Marlene's MIA Desperate Fools: 2,106 (she missed the last five races) (5,009)

This has been fun so far (easy for me to say — I got lucky and won four weeks in a row in the Summer segment). But even when I was floundering in the Spring session, I was getting a kick out of it. NASCAR is... cool.

Best,

LC

This has been a lot of fun Larry and thanks for getting it started for us. Pat has surprised me quite a bit for a guy that was never into NASCAR!! I have my roster in place so we will see what happens Saturday! Thanks for the update buddy. Cannot wait until next Feb when it all will get fired up again.