Sign in to follow this  
ira

Baseball VS. Football

ira   

Since Mickey vs. Roger in '61....baseball has been my passion.

But in the last few years...those 20 or so Football Sundays have been like holidays to me.

My perfect Sunday...up early....listen to "Breakfast With the Beatles" on Q104.3 in N.Y....cook stuff that'll be for dinner most of the week...gym...bagels with Mark...shop...run errands....then settlin' at 3:00 0r 4:00...for games highlights etc.

What's YOUR favorite national game...baseball...football..hockey basketball?

GMan   

Sorry My GMen are making you a bit ill, Brian. We did earn the right to be there, Ira, to answer your question. I love both sports equally. I have loved The Yankees since I was 7 years old...and Yep...it was Mickey who was my all time favorite sports idol. I became a Giants fan a few years later...with the advent of Tucker Fredrickson...who never turn out to be what was expected, for the simple fact that the kid was always hurt. It has been those sports....that sustained me as a child and made summers and winters a fun time of the year!! One more time, Brian. GO BIG BLUE!!!!! Although they will be wearing their "road" whites in The Super Bowl!! Their "Road Warrior" colors!

ira   

Tomorrow...I may have to catch a "Saved By The Bell" marathon on some cable channel to get me thru a Sunday without football. :yikes:

Hockey will always be my first love, going back to the late sixties, when the Blackhawks went from worst to first in one year by adding six rookies to their team, one of which was Hall of Fame goalie, Tony Esposito. In fact, when I made my confirmation in fifth grade, I picked "Anthony" as my name choice, however, truth be told, I wanted it to be "Stanislav", which horrified the priest (for Stan Mikita)! LOL Aside from sports moments I've experienced when my daughters were playing, which is in a whole different hemisphere for me, NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING was better than seeing my Blackhawks end their 49 year championship drought by winning the Stanley Cup in 2010.

I have had a forty plus year love affair with baseball, too, however, and while hockey will always be number one for it's combination of grace, skill, and toughness, I probably watch more baseball on television than hockey at this point in life. I am looking forward to the rebuilding of the Cubs with their new administration, but, hey, anybody can have a bad century, right?

Football is a distant third, but I do watch it often and root for the Bears, of course, but there isn't that anger or heart pain when the team loses like the Blackhawks.

While I love girls high school basketball, which I get to announce here in Chicago, I never watch the NBA or men's college ball. The hardest thing in the world was not yelling over the microphone to my own daughter playing, however, by not yelling "shoot" or "she's open"!!!!! LOL

RaspBen   

I agree with John except for me it's two man beach volleyball! North Avenue beach downtown Chicago. Love baseball , football, and hockey, but 2 man beach volleyball is one of those sports you can enjoy the athletic talent plus the athletic physique! cool

Monica

paulie answered this one for me...

"Baseball was my first love... and though I have gradually learned to "cheat" by enjoying a football game or fantasy league... I can never get "the summer game" out of my system... or heart..."

The debate of which game was better (APBA vs. Strat-O-Matic) had been going on for years. Pros and cons for each. I just always favored APBA because I thought the cards had more character. Just a glance at the card said so much.

I never liked APBA football much. APBA basketball was terrible. The golf game wasn't too bad but I seemed to easily get bored. Saddle Racing was actually very good. I never played bowling but have talked to a few that said it wasn't bad.

I actually owned Negamco but I can't remember much about it. They may have also been the makers of a basketball game that I thought was pretty good.

I played in an APBA draft leaugue for years. The first two years of the league, my team made it to the playoffs only to be beat by the same team each year. In the third year, we met again. The series went to the 5th and final game. I jumped out to a huge lead (can't remember exactly how huge, but it was huge) In the 3rd inning, with Runners on 1st and 3rd, Tim Foli came to the plate and I rolled the dice for a 23 result. A 23 with runners on 1st and 3rd results in a rainout. The league had never discussed how to handle rainouts in the post season. I wanted it to be handled like a true ML game and continue from that point but the league members voted to handle it like a regular season game and start over. Of course, I don't have to tell you who won when we played the game over. I was fuming.

marvin   

In summer, it's baseball, and in winter, it's hockey.

Played APBA baseball for about 15 years into the early 1990's. Haven't played since then.

I played my share of electric FB, we even attemted a league one year, it didn't last.

A FB game that preceded all we've mentioned was Pigskin, it was a simple deck of cards with results for any play you called prior to turning a card. There were alot of low scoring games with meager stats, but passed alot of time with it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12144/pigskin