Sign in to follow this  
marvin

Beach Boys sound-a-like: The Explorers Club

marvin   

A couple of years ago, a band out of South Carolina surfaced, and their admiration for the Beach Boys was pretty obvious. Not sure whether this band was discussed while I was away ;), however, they are The Explorers Club, and definitely worth a listen.

"Forever" was the single from their first album,

marvin   

This band is managed by former EC.com board member Marc Nathan and (not sure if currently or not) has worked with "Sunset Strip" producer Mark Linnett.

Linett worked on the new album, "Grand Hotel." Marc Nathan is a Twitter friend, and he's always offering up some wonderful news / tidbits on the Explorers Club. I believe that this is a band that should be receiving more support.

OK, I admit it... I totally forgot my user name here, so I hadn't come back in a while, and then I decided to try my name... HAHAHA. It worked.

And it was David WILD, not David FRICKE who tweeted that about the album being the album of the year (1968) ... and he LOVES it. I promise. We spoke on the phone the other day and he was RAVING.

Long time no see, EC-people. Hope you're all well, and will spring for this new album when it comes out on Valentines Day smile

MN

marvin   

OK, I admit it... I totally forgot my user name here, so I hadn't come back in a while, and then I decided to try my name... HAHAHA. It worked.

And it was David WILD, not David FRICKE who tweeted that about the album being the album of the year (1968) ... and he LOVES it. I promise. We spoke on the phone the other day and he was RAVING.

Long time no see, EC-people. Hope you're all well, and will spring for this new album when it comes out on Valentines Day smile

MN

Oops! Sorry about the "David" mix-up, Marc.

marvin   

Here are some thoughts on the new Explorers Club cd:

I received the new cd, Grand Hotel, on Thursday, and have listened to it 4x so far. The first thought that came to my mind was, what motivates a young band in 2012 to write music like this that harkens back to another era (another century)? While the previous album, Freedom Wind had an obvious tip of the hat to the Beach Boys, you had to wonder where the band would go from there. Would they release another BB’s-flavoured effort? No.

While Grand Hotel has some vocal harmonies that bring forth memories of the BB’s, along with a Pet Sounds instrumental feel, the album as a whole is a move in another direction. It really does play like a suite, and is reminiscent of the sounds of Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach, and a host of other light-music artists of the 1960’s. So have the band members been filling their time in between recording, listening to this style of music? Grand Hotel is just so very different from anything else out there, and so different from what I was expecting as their sophomore effort. This is all a way of saying that the album astounds me: everything from the retro artwork, the feel of the music, the instrumental textures, and the somewhat-subdued vocals. It is a wonderful work, maybe one that won’t win over everyone, but definitely a work that shows incredible artistry and musical progression.

I look forward to a show somewhere near me, and more music.

Marv:

Had the opportunity to see this band at an in-store meet and greet at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ. And I can tell you thet these guys are the real deal. They played a 40 minute set and were able to pull off the amazing arrangements and harmonies from the cd flawlessly live.

Do not miss the opportunity to catch these guys if they're playing in your area.

Rich

marvin   

Marv:

Had the opportunity to see this band at an in-store meet and greet at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ. And I can tell you thet these guys are the real deal. They played a 40 minute set and were able to pull off the amazing arrangements and harmonies from the cd flawlessly live.

Do not miss the opportunity to catch these guys if they're playing in your area.

Rich

Lucky you, Rich! I would love to see them, but I doubt that they'll be playing anywhere near Calgary frown I also have no doubt that they're the 'real deal.' Very talented group indeed.

By the way, Vintage Vinyl was probably my favourite record store haunt when we made our regular visits to Metuchen, NJ.