Sign in to follow this  
ira

Favre Frets

ira   

Ya gotta believe that It's killin' Brett Favre that he WAS replace-able...and I gotta believe that when all is said and done...Aaron Rodgers will go down as the greatest quarterback in Packers' history!

Good for him...He's a good man.

Laura   

Rodgers is playing out of his head, and today wasn't one of his best efforts. Favre was a great quarterback, but a different type of QB. Rodgers will be kicking himself today for his interception that led to a touchdown a few plays later, and some of the throws he didn't make. I don't think Brett let a few interceptions ruin his day-he had a short memory in that regard.

Laura   

Brett became very diva like towards the end of his career. He wasn't always the most upstanding type of person in his personal life. I think Brett's favorite person is Brett.

LC   

Ya gotta believe that It's killin' Brett Favre that he WAS replace-able...and I gotta believe that when all is said and done...Aaron Rodgers will go down as the greatest quarterback in Packers' history!

Good for him...He's a good man.

Never mind ESPN, Sports Illustrated, and the Milwaukee Sentinel — Ira's got the REAL scoop on Brett Favre right here at EC.com.

Or not....

All I can figure is, this must have been a slow news day in Ira-land. You must have been sitting there watching the Packers' win when you decided that Favre is all hot and bothered because Aaron Rodgers is playing so well. Sheesh... give the man a break.

Rodgers is awesome, and he's fun to watch. He also has an awesome team around him. Those receivers he has are the BEST unit Green Bay has ever fielded at that position — and that includes the Lombardi years and the Holmgren years. But trying to compare him to Favre is just a silly exercise. Besides, how can you overlook Bart Starr (five championships) when you talk about the best Packer QB ever?

The way Rodgers is playing (and the way Starr played) has no bearing on what Favre did for GB between 1991 and 2007. Favre gave tons of thrills to Packer fans, and I for one loved watching him play — win or lose — right until the end. He set every record in football; he also won a Super Bowl (and made it to another) and set a record with three MVP awards.

When the Packers decided to move ahead to the future after the heartbreaking 2007 playoff loss, it was a good decision, because Rodgers has been just about perfect after his first season as a starter (when he was 6-10). As weird as it was to see Favre playing for the Jets and then Vikings, he showed he still had it in 2008 and 2009. He'll be in the Hall of Fame in four years, and his place is secure as the most prolific NFL passer ever.

Oh yeah — he also won more games than any QB in history, and that record will stand a long, long time. (At least until Tebow gets 15 or so years under his belt.) And Favre's consecutive-games-played record (321 over 19 years!) may be the most amazing mark in all of sports.

So, Ira, why do "ya gotta believe it's KILLIN' Favre" that he was replaceable? News flash: we're all replaceable. And as much as you'd like to believe hearsay, I seriously doubt that Favre is such a diva that he thought he couldn't be replaced....

Now lay off the lame speculation and find something worthwhile to post — like maybe you can pick on Dan Marino for never winning a Super Bowl. Or Bill Buckner for muffing that grounder. Or Ernie Banks for never getting to a World Series. And I'll get busy on my next thread: about how you've gotta believe it's KILLIN' Bobby Vee that he's no longer a teen idol. Grrrrr.... mad (Can you tell that Favre-hater comments rile me up?)

You know, I knew we were gonna read an angry response from my pal LC, the second I got through the initial read.

Best QB in Packer history? Rodgers sure looks headed there stats wise, but those five championships Bart Starr won as a Packer, sure seem like a roadblock to that title for Aaron.

Favre has the stats that guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Rodgers are STILL chasing, so I'd have to say Brett and Bart are 1 and 1A and will be for a long, long time.

To me, the most impressive stat of Brett's is the 321 consecutive starts. With all the concussions and hits and dings that QB's face every play, THAT is simply amazing that he could pull that off. Given Rodgers concussion history in his young career, I'd be stunned if he even pulls half of that record off!

It takes alot for me to say that, as a lifelong Bears fan, I was a Favre hater for many years, but learned to respect the guy over the years.....umm, at least ON the field! (Sorry, LC, I had to, after that Ernie Banks remark! LOL)

All three are terrific QB's, but if I have to win one game, I go with Bart Starr. If I need to win that game on one PLAY, however, I go with Favre, who I saw pull games out of a hat, along with a few rabbits, I think, too many times for my liking.

Do you know that when the Packers traded for Favre, he actually failed the physical, as team doctors felt Favre had the same hip issue that ended Bo Jackson's career and the Packers GM had to overrule against their diagnosis, as they felt he would never play?

What do you think those guys are doing for a living now?

ira   

Whew.....Why so angry LC...It's been relatively calm here lately...It's sad to see someone attacking someone again...It's actually a wonderful era in Ira-land...and I wish you the same...chill out.

(BTW...Bobby Vee has NO ego...he knows that you have your day in the sun...and that you're lucky if you have that day...

Most of us are lucky if we are grateful for inner happiness while leading regular lives...many athletes DO find it hard to withdraw to private life...Brett's final days on the big stage were more than a little uncomfortable to watch...and WERE vividly on display here in NYC during his tenure with the Jets...I sorta kinda know what I'm talkin' about IMHO...)

angelina   

The game is completely different now than it was in the Favre and Starr years. Subtle rule changes over the decades have made it a QB-driven league (Geez I HATE that expression) with a focus on passing and protecting the marquee player (QB).

Stats in football really aren't as relevant as they are in other sports because of the huge changes in the way the game is officiated, field conditions and so on.

Starr winning 5 championships is incredible, Favre's consecutive QB start record will NEVER be broken...and yes Rodgers is incredibly exciting to watch. He clearly benefitted from sitting behind Favre for a few years regardless if Favre "mentored" him or not.

Quite frankly, as a Jet fan, the greatest Jet QB in history is a toss-up between....get ready now...here goes.....Ken O'Brien and Chad Pennington. Look at the stats....it's probably Ken O'Brien. Joe Namath isn't even in the top 7 statistically speaking. HOWEVER, do a poll around the country....Namath will get 80% of the vote...GUARANTEED (pun intended). So Football, more than any other team sport is the most difficult to pin one individual's worth versus another in differing eras.

Now I know if I want to tick LC off....I should go after Favre rather than Big Poppy! spinwink. (I've always known I could get under Ira's skin by flipping-off Bobby Vee ;))

Unrelated, but I just mentioned Bart Starr yeaterday. A pet peeve of mine is the frikken kneel down, as I watched Joe Flacco do it the rain in Cleveland, I asked anyone that would listen, can you imagine Bart Starr doing that?

LC   

You know, I knew we were gonna read an angry response from my pal LC, the second I got through the initial read.

Best QB in Packer history? Rodgers sure looks headed there stats wise, but those five championships Bart Starr won as a Packer, sure seem like a roadblock to that title for Aaron.

Favre has the stats that guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Rodgers are STILL chasing, so I'd have to say Brett and Bart are 1 and 1A and will be for a long, long time.

To me, the most impressive stat of Brett's is the 321 consecutive starts. With all the concussions and hits and dings that QB's face every play, THAT is simply amazing that he could pull that off. Given Rodgers concussion history in his young career, I'd be stunned if he even pulls half of that record off!

It takes alot for me to say that, as a lifelong Bears fan, I was a Favre hater for many years, but learned to respect the guy over the years.....umm, at least ON the field! (Sorry, LC, I had to, after that Ernie Banks remark! LOL)

All three are terrific QB's, but if I have to win one game, I go with Bart Starr. If I need to win that game on one PLAY, however, I go with Favre, who I saw pull games out of a hat, along with a few rabbits, I think, too many times for my liking.

Do you know that when the Packers traded for Favre, he actually failed the physical, as team doctors felt Favre had the same hip issue that ended Bo Jackson's career and the Packers GM had to overrule against their diagnosis, as they felt he would never play?

What do you think those guys are doing for a living now?

Pat, I love your line about going with Starr for a big game and going with Favre for a big play. Well said. And I don't mean to denigrate Rodgers in any way. He won't come near Favre's stats, but I bet he'll win more Super Bowls (although after Marino got to one in his second season, albeit a losing one, people figured he'd be there every year).

Speaking of which... my Banks comment was just the opposite. I hate when people knock him for not being in a World Series (it's a team sport!). Same with Marino. And look at how Buckner's career is defined by one play, rather than 2,700 hits. The Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about him was awesome — Larry David obviously feels the same way.

You have to look at the whole body of work. And with Favre, it's pretty impressive. Haters like to point to the INTs, but look at this: http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/brett-favre-and-the-interception-myth/

Favre threw more than 10,000 passes in his career, so his INTs amount to just 3.3 percent of his attempts. Compare that to the likes of Baugh (6.8 percent), Namath (5.8 percent), Griese (5.0 percent), Unitas (4.9 percent), and even Starr (4.4 percent), along with 16 other HALL OF FAME quarterbacks who threw a higher percentage of interception.

Ira, I wasn't taking shots at you personally — just at your Favre-hater commentary. But you understand that when you toss out an opinion like you did, not everyone will agree with it, right?

PS: You're forgetting that Favre in NY was looking pretty darned good for three-quarters of the season. The Jets were a shocking 8-3 (a huge turnaround after their 4-14 season in 2007), and Favre was having a great statistical season. Remember how people were talking about a "subway Super Bowl," and how Favre was in the MVP conversation? But, as you know, he suffered a torn biceps injury that the Jets kept quiet (it would require off-season surgery). In hindsight, the Jets should have shut him down, but... they didn't, and they struggled through the last five games. And Favre's following season with the Vikings was magical, right up until that last pass: he had his best statistical season, beat the Packers twice, won the NFC North with a 13-3 record, and had the Vikings on a path to the Super Bowl right up until that last regrettable pass.

Comparing Starr to Favre to Rodgers is like comparing Ruth To Aaron to Bonds... different eras, different rules, different styles of play for the league... One has to wonder though, the years Rodgers sat... were they beneficial as he got to watch, or will they cost him the chance for even better career stats? Granted, he has less wear and tear at his age... but, time waits for no man...

Speaking of "Kneel-Downs", Mood... I hate them too... I don't care if you're up or down by 30... play the damn game until time expires. I hate the idea that you can drag your feet to let the clock expire. Make me the commish and the first thing I do is stop the clock after each play and restart it when the ball is hiked. Might make for a 5 hour game, but the fans won't care... laugh

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network tweets:

"A source familiar with a certain QB in Mississippi told ESPNChicago.com that that QB would listen if the Bears made a pitch."

I thought I just saw LC in Chicago shopping for a blue and orange shirt! LOL

James   

Brett became very diva like towards the end of his career. He wasn't always the most upstanding type of person in his personal life. I think Brett's favorite person is Brett.

Perfect post, right on.

James

Billy   

Pretty funny about those reports saying Brett would listen to Chicago about coming back this season....think if the Bears didn't play Christmas night in Lambeau he would be offering his services? Come to think of it, I'd like to see Brett try to play with the offensive line the Bears have --- he'd be thinking twice. Ted Thompson looks pretty good about now, huh Brett?

ira   

Thanks for the explanation LC...I Do appreciate it....

BTW...I took GMan and my brother David to see "Lombardi" on Broadway last year for their Chanukah/Christmas presents...Great play I hope you have a chance to see it.

Hey LC...I think you'll like this...

LC   

Billy, your post is exactly the kind of bandwagon thing that gets people calling Favre a "diva." He didn't call the Bears. The Bears didn't call him. The Bears' coach said he's happy with the group of QBs they've got. End of story.

The reason this speculation started is because of an "unnamed source close to Favre" said that if the Bears called him, he'd listen. Who was the source? How close to Favre is the source? How can anyone take this stuff seriously?

There's a big difference between journalism and blog-osphering (with all of those opinions floating around). It sure helps to know what you're reading... and to always "consider the source." If Favre himself said it, or his wife or agent said it, I'd believe it. Everything else is just speculation, doggone it.

All that said, I LOVE the idea of seeing Favre play for the Bears! Except without Matt Forte around, it wouldn't be as simple as handing off 30 times and throwing six or seven screen passes. And yes, that Bears O-line would have Favre killed (as the 2010 Vikings offensive line almost did!). But it ain't gonna happen, and it shouldn't happen. We're 13 weeks into the season, and Favre is retired for good.

PS: Ira, I can't help it: I really enjoyed watching Favre play all those years, and I'll always appreciate what he did for a franchise that was sucking wind for two decades. Yes, Mike Holmgren had a huge hand in it — but he left pretty quickly.

Man, I'd love to have seen what might have happened if Holmgren had stuck around for another seven or eight seasons. I bet Favre would have at least another ring or two....

PS: Pat, Seriously, what do you think of the Bears' QB situation now?

PS: Pat, Seriously, what do you think of the Bears' QB situation now?

The sad part is that even if the Donovan McNabb or Brett Favre speculation rumors are true (or even if they wanted Bart Starr, for that matter) Caleb Hanie would have to start this week against Denver. There simply isn't enough time for ANYONE to learn the playbook that quickly and if they did get a veteran like that, Hanie's already lack of confidence would be absolutely shattered, seeing a McNabb or Favre on the sidelines, knowing they would be in there the following week.

The frustration of it all, is that the blame lies clearly on GM Jerry Angelo for not only ignoring the pathetic offensive line situation, while nineteen million under the cap, but also not signing a veteran QB as third stringer at the start of the season in case something like this happened to Cutler. The backups are Hanie, who had never started a game and rookie Nathan Enderle, who has not even taken a snap in practice all year to lead a 7-3 team (now 7-5) into the playoffs. IF they had inked a guy like Mark Bulger or Jake Delhomme in training camp, they would have learned the complicated Mike Martz playbook, but they went on the cheap!

Now, with star running back Matt Forte also out 2-6 weeks, they have two rookies who could only muster three points against the Chiefs, who have twice given up over forty points this year. KC had 13 sacks in eleven games, but got SEVEN against the Bears woeful offensive line! Offensive coordinator Mike Martz refuses to adapt his system to his quarterback, instead of the other way around, and needs to be gone soon! This system is what beat up Jay Cutler in the first place and literally almost killed him last year! It worked for Kurt Warner and Jon Kitna, years ago, but not here.

The team to me that should have signed Favre, and you and I have discussed this on the phone LC, was Indianapolis, when Peyton Manning went down at the start of the season. They might not be 12-0, but they certainly wouldn't be 0-12 with Favre tossing to Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Tamme, Clark, etc....he'd have been a great stop gap for a year while Manning was down and they wouldn't be in this "what do we do with Peyton now" status they are in, who is owed a $28 million dollar deal to stay or the PR nightmare of cutting the face of the franchise loose.

Billy   

Sorry LC, I don't think my post gets people jumping on the Favre is a diva bandwagon. I think Brett did a pretty good job of that on his own. Look, that little story was all over the sports news here today, and I am thinking, you've got to be kidding me. Kind of foolish to think a 42 year old could come out of retirement, especially after the year he had last year, and try to put a team in the playoffs. Pretty ironic it would be the Bears, just makes me laugh. Stay retired and in 5 years or so he can go into the Hall of Fame as a Packer.

I heard the same rumors (on ESPN Radio actually) when Matt Leinart went down... just the sort of "Ya' think they'll call Brett Favre?" comment to which the football guy laughed, "Ya' never know, I would." or something like that...

I should have mentioned earlier, but... when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe Brett was lending his name and face to a line of guitar parts now... cool

darlene   

Everyone is replaceable, or at least almost everyone. But what quality the replacement produces is another matter. Sometimes, though, the replacement that doesn't come with drama is more appreciated...even if the quality doesn't hold a candle to the original.

:)--D