Sign in to follow this  
Dave from Equinox

Vitamin D

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

Dave, for thousands of years, Humans were out in the sun and skin cancer was not a problem. We have frightened the human race into hiding from the sun and using sunblocks as a way to prevent skin cancer. This has had the deleterious effect of halting the normal process of synthesizing natural Vit. D under our skin, causing a deficiency that is near-epidemic in scope. The result is the advance of a host of health problems which were nearly unheard of 60 to 100 years ago. I and my wife have been taking 3,000 units a day for several years. We also do not use any type of sunblock. We are not sun worshippers, we simply use good common sense. Thanks for posting.

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

John, some studies suggest that the heavy use of sunscreens, with their concentrated chemical agents, may actually increase the susceptibility to skin disorders.

Jackie   

Your doctor can order a blood test for your vitamin D levels.

My brother was on over 20,000iu for awhile to increase his levels and then reduced to 1000iu a day once his levels were acceptable. We here in the Midwest are usually lacking in the winter...

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

Fortunately, alot more MD's are realizing the importance of the proper levels of this vital nutrient.

It's funny how "medical" advice changes through the years... I remember how not too long ago people were advised to give up coffee... especially as they got older...

Today, in an article by Kerri-Ann Jennings, M.S., R.D., Associate Nutrition Editor at "EatingWell Magazine"... there is a list of the top five reasons NOT to stop drinking coffee!

1. Drinkers of 1 - 3 cups per day have a lower risk of stroke, due to the antioxidants in coffee

2. It also diverts diabetes, due to the antioxidants again... boosting your cells sensitivity to insulin...

3. Your liver loves it... again, the antioxidants... and though the research is limited, there is a lower incidence of cirrhosis of the liver... as well as a 43% reduction in cancer risk for every 2 cups you drink per day (again, limited research, but still... )

4. Drinking between 1 and 5 cups a day... yes, a broad range, but it is shown to reduce chances of dimentia and Alzheimers disease... (and how many of the elderly who now have that were taken off coffee by their doctors over the past decade or two? :yikes: )

5. It helps reduce headaches... and not just caffeine withdrawl headaches... but migraines... and studies show that 200mg of caffeine, or the amount in a 16 oz. cup of fresh coffee, provides relief from headaches... perhaps because caffeine boosts the activity of brain cells (quickie-quiz, Alzheimers and dimentia are related to which body organ? :yikes: )

So... when/if your quack doctor suggest you stop drinking coffee... you might want a second opinion... or maybe just tell him to go to hell... cool

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

Rob - since you mentioned sunscreens:

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

I try to get 3K to 6K of D3 per day. A "bug" went through our department over the last few weeks - most of the students and faculty got it, I didn't.

wink

Excellent article, Dave. Everyone here that uses sunblocks regularly should read it. In addition to your Vit. D3 supplement, I STRONGLY recommend one packet per day of Emergen-C (Vit. C powder....multi-mineral ascorbate, non-acidic). We humans are one of the few animals on Earth that do not synthesize our own Vit. C in our bodies. Many people suffer sub-clinical Vit. C deficiency and their doctors don't know it. You don't need full-blown scurvy( very rare in civilized countries today) to benefit from Vit. C supplementation. Being a water-soluble co-enzyme, we do not store Vit.C in our bodies, and we lose it in the urine. So a daily dose is essential. The best supplement I find is Emergen-C by Alacer Labs of Foothill Ranch, CA.

angelina   

Just finished washing down my supplements with my Emergen-C cocktail ( along with a bit of chondroitin, glucosamine and MSM for good measure).

I could pick Rob's brain all day on vitamins and supplements.

Guest Rachan   
Guest Rachan

Wow...

I just had a bowl of cookie crisp cereal....

Thanks for making me feel like a complete loser....:)

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

I could pick Rob's brain all day on vitamins and supplements.

Sure, and once you get me to reveal the Peter North Secret Formula, you'll cast me aside! hahahahahaha

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

I guess I have a one-track mind! You figure it out, John. You're the psychologist! Peter is a great subject to discuss!! blush

James   

You guys lost me (that's not hard to do!..).

:-)

Anyway, keep posting Rob and John and anyone else who has knowledge about this stuff. I love to learn about nutrition/health stuff from you guys. It's a great benefit of this site!..I trust you guys and you're both smart.

P.S. Though sometimes I questions Fresh's judgment. I do.

Yo see, the other day I posted something about peeing outdoors, and Fresh thought my peeing outdoors would result in a cobra sighting.

Huh? A cobra?

Nah. More likely a boa constrictor.

:-)