Sign in to follow this  
raspathens

Worlds Collide - Tomorrow Night

My wife's ancestral home is Barnesville, Georgia. Her father was raised in an antebellum home which we still visit every Christmas. Barnesville, about an hour south of Atlanta has so much inherent history and character that just being there is at times dreamlike, especially on a summer evening.

Tomorrow night, Frank Sinatra Jr., along with famed conductor Terry Woodson and his 20 piece band will make an unscheduled stop in Barnsville to do a benefit concert for the Lamar County school system's Fine Arts program. It's billed "Sinatra sings Sinatra". Of course, Anne and I adjusted our schedules and got primo seats!

Armed with a CD of Eric's Desperate Fools cut, I will be watching for an opportunity and otherwise lurking in the shadows hoping for a chance to suggest to Mr. Woodson (or Mr. Sinatra) that this is a perfect song for Mr. Sinatra.

Even if I am rebuffed with a "scram punk" or the CD finds it way back at me at high velocity, I will still have experienced one of the great moments in my life for having shared the same piece of earth with a Sinatra!

Wish me luck.

The show was great and highlighted by "Summer Wind" and "Fly Me to the Moon". Sinatra's voice was a bit higher than his dad's but there was no lack of power. The band was first rate and he is a great performer in his own right.

Sinatra could not have been more gracious and friendly at the meet and greet. He spoke to us twice in an unhurried and thoughtful way. I had the CD in my pocket and just knew that it would not have been appropriate to attempt to hand him something there, so I did not. Afterward, we hung around in the dark parking lot as the musicians were loading their gear into vans. There didn't seem to be anyone that I could leave it with and frankly, by that time, I had lost my nerve. As I took a step or two toward our car, I said "let's go" to Anne. She took the CD out of my hand and said, "no, we need to leave it here somehow because it's important to you".

As I stood there in the dark, she marched the CD over to one of the vans and asked, to no one in particular, "can someone give this to Mr. Sinatra?" Some guy said, "give it to him yourself". Sinatra, who was loading his OWN luggage turned around. Anne said "my husband thinks this Eric Carmen song would be perfect for you." He held the CD up to the street light to read the artist and title and said "he really thinks so?" She said "yes, just perfect". He looked at it for about five seconds more. He then said "well thank you so much" and "it's getting cold so you need to wrap that scarf better." He looked down at it again as if it actually meant something to him, thanked her a third time, and then got on the van with it in his hand.

I don't know if he was just being nice or might actually listen to it - at this point, it doesn't really matter. Sinatra Jr. got into a van holding Desperate Fools in his hand. I can move on now.

For those of you who don't know, Tommy Morgan, who also played bass harmonica on the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and harmonica on a plethora of other famous works, performed on Desperate Fools. Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney comment on the use of the bass harmonica.....

LC   

Sinatra could not have been more gracious and friendly at the meet and greet. He spoke to us twice in an unhurried and thoughtful way. I had the CD in my pocket and just knew that it would not have been appropriate to attempt to hand him something there, so I did not. Afterward, we hung around in the dark parking lot as the musicians were loading their gear into vans. There didn't seem to be anyone that I could leave it with and frankly, by that time, I had lost my nerve. As I took a step or two toward our car, I said "let's go" to Anne. She took the CD out of my hand and said, "no, we need to leave it here somehow because it's important to you".

As I stood there in the dark, she marched the CD over to one of the vans and asked, to no one in particular, "can someone give this to Mr. Sinatra?" Some guy said, "give it to him yourself". Sinatra, who was loading his OWN luggage turned around. Anne said "my husband thinks this Eric Carmen song would be perfect for you." He held the CD up to the street light to read the artist and title and said "he really thinks so?" She said "yes, just perfect". He looked at it for about five seconds more. He then said "well thank you so much" and "it's getting cold so you need to wrap the scarf better." He looked down at it again as if it actually meant something to him, thanked her a third time, and then got on the van with it in his hand.

I don't know if he was just being nice or might actually listen to it - at this point, it doesn't really matter. Sinatra Jr. got into a van holding Desperate Fools in his hand. I can move on now.

Hey, that is an awesome story! You picked the perfect song to get into his hands, and I love your perseverance (and your wife's!). Way to go!