Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Foolin' Myself

tokyo_press-02.jpg

This rare and unpublished photo of Eric was taken in Tokyo when he traveled to that country in November 1979 to perform as a special guest of the Yamaha World Popular Song Festival. Eric received such an outpouring of fan support that he returned the next year to give a series of sold-out performances in support of his Tonight You're Mine album.

Earlier that year, Eric was invited by the country of Japan to enter the prestigious Song Festival. Each invited artist is requested to submit a new composition in the contest, and Eric chose a tune he just completed writing titled "Foolin' Myself."

The winner of the Festival that year was a song named "Sitting On The Edge of the Ocean," written by Ronnie Scott & Steve Wolfe. It was performed at the competition by Bonnie Tyler.

Eric's song was performed by a singer named Paul Nicholas. In 1976, he embarked on a short-lived but high profile pop career, with three Top 20 hits in the UK Singles Chart: "Reggae Like It Used To Be," "Dancing With The Captain" and "Grandma's Party." "Heaven on the 7th Floor" hit #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 List.

While I'm sure Paul did a fine job with Eric's stirring ballad from Tonight You're Mine, I can't help but wonder how much better Eric might have done had he been able to perform the song himself. Eric's song made it to the Finals, but didn't win a prize. I'm guessing that part of the rules of the competition are that songwriters enter songs and other singers sing them. Crazy when you consider that Eric was actually there in the Arena that night to perform his own set of songs.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy 2011!

Bernie

• Like 1

Wow!!!!Berbie!Bernie!!Bernie!!!

I'm so excited!!!I'm overjoyed!!!

This is it!

This is it when I fall in love with Eric exactly!!!

Thank you Bernie!!! :wub:

Bernie,did you get some order(TONIGHT)from Japan?

It's my freind's!!!

I want to to post it again.

Quote:
Maybe you know that Eric was invited to Yamaha World Popular Song Festival held in Japan as a guest star in 1979.

I want to inform them of the meaning of this music festival.

First of all, Japan has done the seclusion policy for 200 years from the 1600's. When the country was opened to the international society in the 1800's, the main country that had learnt the basis of the country making was Germany. Many were learnt from the culture of Germany including music.

Moreover, the Japanese was intercepted from the culture of the enemy country to the World War II inside by the government. Enemy country means that….United States, Britain, and a lot of other countries.

It was limited to Germany and Italy, etc. that were the allies that the culture had been permitted to be enjoyed.

The music of the foreign country that was able to hear it in intercepted various music and inside and Japan was only an opera and a classical music. Germany and Italy.

After the war, the Japanese feels special familiarity in classics and the opera by the great remainder.

Yamaha Co., Ltd. that holds the music festival is producing companys of musical instruments established in 1887. However, it was changed by the factory that manufactured weapons by the government while fighting. It is how much painful for the factory that is sure to manufacture musical instruments that play love peacefully or it is easy to imagine it.

Yamaha Co., Ltd. held the music festival through time. Eric was invited to Yamaha World Popular Song Festival as a guest star.

That music festival is the one having aspired both enjoyments of the excess of the national anthem, politics, and the religion, and the exchanges of people all over the world by music. It is a music festival that expressed sincere pleasure to no obstruction of my favorite music to what, and becoming the age that can be freely enjoyed. Having been invited to the music festival as a guest is Eric Carmen.

It was held aspiring both enjoyments of the excess of the national anthem, politics, and the religion, and the exchanges of people all over the world by music of that music festival.

It is that music festival to have expressed sincere pleasure to no obstruction of my favorite music to what, and becoming the age that can be freely enjoyed.

Having been invited to the music festival as a guest is Eric Carmen!!!!

I understand the reason why Eric keeps being loved in Japan now well.

Attainments of classics on back ground of your music. I thought that it is one of the reasons why it attracts the Japanese.

And, great feelings of Eric put in the music !!!!!!

For Eric praised in that music festival, I think that there is a mission.

I think the pleasure with freedom to have been chosen as a messenger who tells it to the world through music.

Therefore, I am requesting it to make you the song.

It's my earnest longing.

ANDREA   

Bernie...,you are definetely an Angel, have touched my heart very deep inside from such a very long distance...today you and Eric of course, have both cured my aching soul.

ANDREA   
Kirk said:

Eric missed a couple of buttons

:)

I LOVE when Eric misses a couple of buttons! Fortunately, it seems Eric had been missing a cuple of them....frecuently

The photo is just Sublime too! Deep Eyes, deep hairy chest...awesome and lovely :wub:

ANDREA   

Bernie...ohhhh....Bernie...

Have a wonderful birthday and a great 2011,

With all of my heart :heartpump:, again,...the song...(just to compare versions :D)

elle4ec   
Kirk said:

Prepare the smelling salts- Eric missed a couple of buttons

Incredible music may be why I'm here, Kirk, but pictures like the one at the beginning of this thread :heartpump::wub: :

...make a girl never want to leave!

When I was in the studio, doing the string session for "Fooling Myself", I remember the concert master asked me how I wanted the 25 or 30 string players to play that middle section. I told him "Just like Rachmaninoff wrote it."

Haha

e

Tony Cartmill said:

...And then she finally remembered where put her damn inhaler!...

Great...thanks for the input Tony. Now I'm laughing so hard...I have to catch my breath! ;)

ANDREA   
WendyWorld said:

Great...thanks for the input Tony. Now I'm laughing so hard...I have to catch my breath!

:lol:

...Lyrics...dedicated to Eric/Wendy, and why not Tony!

"YAMAHA WORLD POPULAR SONG FESTIVAL" is the song contest. The artists who invited all over the world, they competed in the festival.

Eric was not the competitor!! Eric was invited as "special guest star."

The spectator of the festival enjoyed Eric's performance at time while the winner was elected.

Eric performed with full orchestra!!!!

He performed

1.MARATHON MAN

2.NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN

3.SHE DID IT

4.ALL BY MYSELF

How wonderful "NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN" and "ALL BY MYSELF" that had been performed with the orchestra were!

There was certainly Rachmaninoff there with Eric.

I often enjoying the private record of "YAMAHA WORLD POPULAR SONG FESTIVAL."

It is really amazing!!!!!beautiful!!!!

I think that is one of his best performance!!!

I want to show you who loved Eric Carmen, I'm so sorry but I don't know how to do!

I wonder that "Foolin' Myself" participated in the competition section. why???

Usually special guest star's song is not nominated to the competition section IMHO.

Eric did not sing "Foolin' Myself" in the music festival. However, I heard it on the radio many times every day at that time. As for the song with the deepest memories, it is up to "Foolin' Myself " though the most favorite song for me is "Boats Against The Current".

I should correct the set list.

He performed on YAMAHA WORLD POPULAR SONG FESTIVAL

1.MARATHON MAN

2.NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN

3.SHE DID IT

4.ALL BY MYSELF

5.BOATS AGAINST THE CURRENT

6.THAT'S ROCKN' ROLL

1979.Nov.10 NIPPON-BUDOKAN

Kirk   

Hello, Aventurine. Bernie has the set list for this concert in his most excellent book, Marathon Man. Here it is:

Marathon Man

Never Gonna Fall In Love Again

Boats Against The Current

She Did It

All By Myself

That's Rock and Roll

Twist And Shout

You Need Some Lovin'

hossy   

Hello Kirk,

Eric never performed "You need some lovin'" in YAMAHA world popular song festival.

"Twist & Shout" is encore.

It is next year that Eric performed "You need some lovin'" in JAPAN.