Sign in to follow this  
pauliemississippi

Is Farve Done?

LC   

Paulie - I'm guessing, like Larry, that Brett is through for good. The Redskins wouldn't be an option - McNabb's already been thrown under the bus, primarily because he's too old to apparently react quickly enough to run Shanahan Jr's offense.

If Rex Grossman is Shanahan Jr's "answer," then... I think QBs will be in short supply next year!

darlene   

Craig, He's on-again-off-again-Finnegan. He retires, he comes back, he can't decide half the time what he's going to do. Then he's injured. Then he comes back. Maybe I'm missing something but he seems so INDECISIVE!

:)--D

No kidding, that is where they really messed up... the Eagles took the chance that there would be negative publicity, but they played it smart... made him a small part last year and then, toward the end of the season... made their decision... There was talk of DC making a pitch for Vick before Philly stepped in... You gotta know they're regretting that failure... Them and about half a dozen other teams, don't you think? Like Oakland, the haven for "bad-boys"... even Cincinatti... another NFL Halfway House... shocked

JohnO   

I seriously doubt that Vick would have flourished under Shanahan, had Snyder & co. decided to take a chance and sign him. Hell, McNabb improvised way too much to suit either Shanahan (Senior and Junior), which Andy Reid encouraged him to do during his 11 years in Philly. Vick and Reid, IMO, are a fortuitous match/combination. Reid gives his QBs enough space to make big plays on their own when they need to do so, and Vick has always been an incredible athlete as far as making plays.

Also, Vick wound up with a much, much better supporting cast in Philly than he would have had in DC in every category - offensive line, runners/receivers, defense, and special teams. Under Mike S.'s 3-4 defensive scheme this year, the Redskins are dead last (32nd) in the league as far as yardage given up, after finishing in the Top 10-15 defensively over the past several years, even when they weren't winning......(making me wonder if Albert Haynesworth knew something that the rest of the world didn't!)

Larry - Grossman certainly isn't the answer for Washington, IMO, but he looked good enough this past Sunday to impress the Redskins management. (It was a tradeoff - 4 TD passes, but 3 turnovers). Rex G. will wind up being way too inconsistent (and turnovers will likely kill him) to suit Shanahan Sr., I suspect.....and they'll have to look for a new starting QB over the upcoming off-season yet again. What's really puzzled me about McNabb in DC is - after playing against him for 11 years, didn't they know what they were getting? Year after year, Donovan would usually play brilliantly against Washington one game a year, winning it, and toss away the second one to the Skins through mistakes. What we're hearing now is - the 2 Shanahans really didn't want him in the first place - it was Dan Snyder's idea. Shanahan Jr. apparently has felt all along that his offense is too complicated for an older QB set in his ways to learn effectively. There are claims that McNabb was too slow out of the huddle; he practiced in a lazy manner; etc., etc. A weird situation.....but not unusual for the Redskins at all under Snyder.....

missm   

All of the talk about Brett Farve and I wonder are any of his "fans" concerned about his long term health..Watch this and think about whether he should still play

We all saw that last hit Brett took and I, for one, was sickened and concerned at the way he hit the ground. arrgh

JohnO   

LC posted - "In the interest of full disclosure, my posts slowed way down in part because of one particular "bulletin board bully" who started getting to me --- too many disrespectful posts that insulted other members (some of whom left the site for good). And because he posts on a huge percentage of the threads, it was hard to avoid him..."

Larry - my sentiments exactly. Also - if there's one thing that everyone on this board SHOULD have in common, it's an interest in and a love of Eric's music. IMO, way too many posters here were leaving due to the reasons you mention above. And are we REALLY trying to drive away Eric fans from this board??? After all, it is his board, or it's supposed to be - it doesn't belong to you or me or any one particular poster or group of posters. Way too much negativity....

Kirk   

BeatleJay? Hi Jay...how's Lisa? Now I know I'm in the EC.com time machine. Next thing you know, I'll look in the mirror and have big hair!

John makes a strong point... all of us (theoretically) have joined up here because we love Eric Carmen, either the man, the music, or both... This is a site that was founded as a place for those who shared that bond to have a place to call their very own... and a place for the history of Eric (including, of course Raspberries) to be shared and discussed... and as time went on we sort of ran out of things to say... nothing new was going on, there were basically four Raspberries albums and five Eric albums and a few odd-singles/covers... So logically we began to discuss other things, having been joined in our common bond, we found that many of us shared other bonds as well... some of those were musical, some were sports, some were movie or tv related... some were real life similarities... we became a family all our own, and like a "Smith" or "Jones" family, we began to have different branches on our "Eric Carmen" family tree... and regretably there have been one or two "family feuds" so to speak... For a time we had the excitement of "Winter Dreams"... and then the reunion and the tour... and now with all of those items history, we are back to sort of hanging out on this streetcorner that is EricCarmen.com... chatting with our friends... our brothers and sisters and cousins and nieces and nephews as it were... sharing our personal hopes and dreams and likes and dislikes while we wait and hope for the dream that is "something new from Eric Carmen"... something we can support and attend and talk excitedly about again... Meanwhile we have forged friendships and developed into our own sort of family... some of us meet at Facebook or MySpace or other sites... but most of us still tend to share the space here as well... Sure, we've lost some to death, some to illness, and some to just ill-will... and that is just like a family too...

Ok, I know I'm rambling... the wife just asked if I was finally working on a book... LOL

But it is nice to know that old friends can pop back into our lives... and that the blood of the "EricCarmen.com Family" is thicker than water... laugh

LC   

MissM...

Well... it's not just Favre we have to worry about. It's every QB. If anything, I've seen a few cases here and there where Favre was spared the full brunt of a hit where a lineman might have otherwise laid out a QB. (Not that he hasn't been brutalized, too; we saw it in New Orleans in January and in most of the games this year.) On the other hand, I've read players' interviews where they talk about wanting to be the one to end a high-profile streak. Look out, Peyton Manning!

There's a point where players should be protected from themselves, and they indeed are, usually as related to head injuries (e.g., Aaron Rodgers' mandated sit-down in a huge game for Green Bay last week).

With Favre, there was never an injury so serious that doctors ordered him to sit. But early in his career, the NFL wasn't as thorough when it came to concussions as it is now. That's a good development for football --- prevent head injuries in every case.

Let's face it: playing QB in the NFL is a very high-risk job, because 30 or 40 times per game, he's throwing a football, and he's fully prone to getting hit in all parts of each throw --- the set-up, the step, the follow-through. Some analysts think QBs are over-protected by NFL rules, while others think that rules can go even further. I think all rules that now protect QBs (like the slide rule, and late hits, and "in the grasp" whistles) are great, and would have no problem with even tougher rules.

The most amazing thing about Brett Favre is that he answered the bell every week for 19 years. That, my friend, is a feat unmatched in any sport. Do I want to see him keep tempting fate and playing, risking himself for injury? Like I said, every QB on every team runs that risk. You just don't know when the next spearing linebacker will come flying at your helmet.

And make no mistake: the injury he got on Monday night (the concussion) was totally unrelated to his other injuries from this year or last (fractured ankle, back, shoulder, biceps). If his offensive tackle had actually blocked for him on that one play, who's to say he wouldn't have played the entire 60 minutes with no new or aggravated injuries? It was just something that happened in the line of duty, as it could for any QB.

missm   

LC...

I fully understand it is not only Bret Favre about whom we should have concern. The Monday night concussion is something I fear will happen more and more frequently as he continues to play. I have the same concern for all QBs in the NFL. To me they are more than players on whom I bet (and win) money in hopes of having a positive outcome.

These are men with families and I didn't think about that until I watched the real sports clips when they first aired. IMHO for Brett or any other QB to continue to play, I feel there should be much, much tougher rules!!

I, too, am amazed that Bret has answered the bell every week for 19 years. I just don't want to see him end up like the men in the clips... crying

LC   

Well, you're right about that, and it's not just head injuries. A lot of ex-players end up with crippling injuries (especially legs, back, and arms) that affect their quality of life forever. I remember reading Jerome Bettis quotes about how at the end of his career, he could barely climb out of bed on Monday mornings, but by Sunday, he'd be ready for another battering.

Favre himself admits that he knows he'll pay later for his determination to keep playing and competing for as long as he has. He's a warrior and I admire that, but as a fan, I'm totally cool with him walking away now. He should spare his body any more crazy hits, and just go off to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

(Not that I wouldn't be psyched to see him play again next year, but... realistically, I'd say there's a .0000000001 percent chance of him coming back in 2011.)

LC   

LC posted - "In the interest of full disclosure, my posts slowed way down in part because of one particular "bulletin board bully" who started getting to me --- too many disrespectful posts that insulted other members (some of whom left the site for good). And because he posts on a huge percentage of the threads, it was hard to avoid him..."

Larry - my sentiments exactly. Also - if there's one thing that everyone on this board SHOULD have in common, it's an interest in and a love of Eric's music. IMO, way too many posters here were leaving due to the reasons you mention above. And are we REALLY trying to drive away Eric fans from this board??? After all, it is his board, or it's supposed to be - it doesn't belong to you or me or any one particular poster or group of posters. Way too much negativity....

I'm totally on the same page with you, JohnO. There's a way to disagree in a respectful way, and most here can do that. But all it takes is one or two to start giving an entire message board the "wrong atmosphere" or vibe. It was getting like that for me. But like I said, the "Ignore This User" function has refreshed things for me. Kudos again to Bernie. (And I'm certain there are other cool tools here awaiting me....)

Nice to get back in touch with; thanks for reaching out on Nov. 30! Nice to see Lew and BeatleJay back here again.

missm   
LC I hear ya!! As much as I loved THE BUS, I was okay with him leaving!! Yes, I just went all girly and gushed about MY BABY JEROME "ROMEY ROME" BETTIS!! Sorry, I could not help it...I tried to no avail...

LC   

Bettis was awesome. He's a Hall of Fame nominee this year (announcements are just before the Super Bowl) but may not get in, believe it or not. There's a limit of five "modern-day" nominees every year, which I think is a little silly, especially when it's a star-studded class.

Bettis has as competition this year Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Roger Craig, Deion Sanders, Terrell Davis, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Shannon Sharpe, and Andre Reed, not to mention nine defensive stars and offensive linemen who will merit attention (including Richard Dent and Chris Doleman). So Bettis isn't a shoo-in this year, though he'll ultimately get in. Heck, he's the fifth-leading rusher all-time! (IMHO, Sanders, Faulk, Martin, Carter, and Bettis deserve to go in now. The others... will have to wait.)

missm   
LC you are a wealth of NFL info!! I will keep my fingers crossed for my "Romey Rome" to get in. The last time I paid attention to the NFL Hall of Fame was regarding Michael Ervin!

I still wouldn't be surprised if he plays against the Eagles this Sunday night...I'm hoping, I'd love to see him live and they are expecting some snow on Sunday night, so he'll be in his "element"

MikeC   

He will have a check-up tomorrow or saturday, I heard today.

It will be his 299th game, if he plays.

Concussions are higher this year than last year.

I think it's 7% higher. Last year, about 24-25%. This year about 31%.

missm   

Not really a good idea, Rob. Don't you know she'd wait a couple of years and then you'd be embroiled in some sort of scandal!! Just think Bret Favre!!