Sign in to follow this  
ira

Smoking

ira   

I like to think of myself as someone who doesn't criticize people who are still doin' somethin' I was doin' metaphorically until 15 minutes ago.

I'm 59....When I was a teen...most of us tried to overcome our initial nausea and ACTUALLY made an effort to enjoy smoking.

And I became a Valedictorian...I always smoked more than ANY of my peer groups from ages 16 to 42.

Anyhoo...I'm in my 18th year of not smoking.

The first phase for me of quittin' was like bein' on a diet...I was conscious of what I was doin' without.

The second phase...which took a long time..was when not smoking became natural to me...and it FINALLY had NO appeal.

The last phase...and this took an even longer time...was when seeing someone smoke...especially someone middle-aged...finally looked stupid to me.

And although I'll never say never...I kinda finally feel that "I'm Done".

Share your smoking stories...we can all benefit.

I never smoked but I did have lots of peer pressure when I was in high school (which I resisted.) I feel very sorry for those that can't break the habit, but it might help to know that after you quit, the damage is reversible. (Your lungs can get cleaned up and return back to a healthy state again, I have read.)

ira   

I'm glad you guys were among those for whom it was never a real temptation.

I REALLY struggled...but for the first time...in the last 10 or so years...I feel like it's NOT even a possibility...Thank God and Rock And Roll cool!!

Never did it myself but I had a room mate in the 60's who was determined to smoke even though she came home "sick as a dog" and green as a pippin. It sounds so stupid now but it was part of being popular then. The only thing that I knew to do when someone was sick was to offer them jewish penicillin (chicken soup). I can still remember the look on her face when I offered to get some for her. I think eventually she just gave up trying to smoke.

Belle

elle4ec   
I've never smoked (other than a few "experiments" as a teenager). Growing up, I hated being around smoke. I vowed to never date a man who smoked. As I grew up, that vow was broken several times. I understand what a tough addiction it is to break. Still, I'll admit, I am bothered by the smoke and the odor. And, I do find it unattractive when I see someone else smoking. As a nurse, I've seen the toll years of smoking can have on a body. Ira, you should be proud of your accomplishment on being a non-smoker for so many years!

I've only ever had 1 cigarette in my life. My girl friend and I thought we'd be "grown up" one night coming home from Girl Guides (like Girl Scouts). We must have been all of 11.

I had all these arguments lined up for when I got home and if was "found out".

So I got home and told my mum..."Well I had my 1st cigarette tonight mum" all the while waiting for "Battle to Commence"...you know what she said...."Fine I don't care"

I have never touched a cigarette to this day. The moment it wasn't "forbidden" it lost all it's attraction!!

If on the other hand she'd jumped up and down and said..."thou shall not.." I'd probably have carried on doing it!!!

Ironically both my parents and siblings smoke

ira   

I'm actually amazed at not seeing more posts from people "40-to-60" years of age who dominate this site that have..or still do...struggle with smoking.

C'mon...Share your successes...struggles and failures.

It's just between you and me. wink

Guest RACHAN   
Guest RACHAN

Hey!

I started smoking when I was 15 because I was small,looked younger then my age & thought it made me look older & cool.

My freinds could do that occasional cigarette thing but once I started I was a smoker.Both of my parents smoked & kind of had a "huh..how about that" type of reaction to my starting..no big deal.

My big revelation was a combo deal. I met my husband in 1992 (ugh...long ago) & he had two very young,exceptionally perfect little boys that I fell hugely in love with & didn't want to set a "bad example" for (although I continued to smoke secretly) & then I got strep throat.Strep sealed the deal. It was like pouring acid down my throat & it helped me get past the physical addiction. It was really really hard but worth it. I quit on july 17th 1994.My husband had one of the cigarettes from my last pack framed & it sits by our mantlepiece(which no longer has a functioning fireplace...but that's another story)

I was a real b**** because of the withdrawal until about...3 weeks ago..but SO worth the effort.(Just kidding)It was really difficult but with time became easier with a boatload of tootsie pops.

smile

ira   

Thanks RACHAN for sharing your story.

We addicts LIKED what we were doing...and to deny that it gave us pleasure...is to deny the truth.

Oh BTW...I see you're a Philadelphian...

I lived there for 3 wonderful years..

It's taken me years to "kick" Cheese Steaks" and eat healthy.

But it's been worth it...I'm now beautiful and I have been cast as the next "James Bond". grin

Guest RACHAN   
Guest RACHAN

Oh my gosh...small world. You're the new James Bond & I am singing the theme song....ther's nothing but good once you give up smoking...

ira   

RACHAN...I was fortunate to live in Philly in 1980 when Dallas Green..Mike Schmidt...Steve Carlton etal won the World Series.

Circumstances brought me back to the New York Metropolitan area..BUT never have I enjoyed my life more than when I lived in Philly.

Even today...if there's a concert I wanna catch...I'll check if it's playin' at the Keswick in Glenside Pa. ...and trek there from Edison New Jersy where I now live.

Oh BTW...Just last June...me and my son Jake caugt Weird Al at the Keswick.

"DY-NO-MITE"!!

Guest RACHAN   
Guest RACHAN

I am sitting on the edge of my seat watching the Phillies right now. they are down by 1 in the 6th....I am biting my nails. This team has such heart. (& balls...which is a Philly thing)

marlene   

I'm a Respiratory Therapist...... 'nuff said ! wink

Seriously, MANY congratulations, Ira and RACHAN on your success in quitting !! cool

(ps, I tried to smoke when I was a teenager..but couldn't ever get past the nausea and dizziness..)

ira   

As I said before Marlene...it took years till smoking finally began to look stupid to me...This is one reason I think I can say that I'm ready to follow the "Temptations" advice to...

"Keep on walkin'...Don't look back".

ira   

I'm pretty sure that the days of "Smoking Is Cool" was a JOINT Venture of a less educated world...and alotta Not So Nice Stuff brought to you by Philip Morris and friends.

Laura   

Ira- I smoked from the time I was 17 till I was 32. I smoked 1-2 packs/day. I used to love smoking. And I was skinny then too.

In 1990, I decided to quit smoking (my father smoked for 50 years and starting to develop breathing problems). I quit along with my fiance (now hubby). He went back to smoking and took a few more years to quit, but I stayed off the smokes. My father is still going at age 83 (still having chronic obstructive asthma). I have been smoke free for 20 years (next month). I still have moments when I miss it but mostly I don't.

Guest RACHAN   
Guest RACHAN

That one after dinner was a doozie to give up...

I live down the street from our local high school & I am stunned by the number of (young) kids that are lighting up.Mostly girls.I think it may be a weight thing..who knows.

I also wonder where they are getting the money for cigarettes...

When I started you didn't need to provide I.D. & I think they were about a dollar a pack. My mom gave me a dollar for lunch money & I would buy cigarettes, give a couple to my freinds & they would share their lunch with me.(I CRINGE when I think of my daughter entering middle school)

From what I see on store windows cigarettes are horribly exspensive now...I would think(hope) that would be a deterrent.

It's hard when your young...you feel so vibrant & healthy & the long term never enters your mind

ira   

Laura...Crossing over to a whole new lifestyle...whether it's eating well...or not smoking...is incredibly hard.

It's leaving all those things that were comforting...even if they were bad for you....and trying to enjoy the long-term rewards of livin' healthy.

But I gotta tell you...If you can do it...It's the best!

I love tobacco. I like smoking opium or crack more than tobacco but they were beginning to interfere with my jogging.

I dont know why everyone gets so righteous about cigarettes? Didnt anyone stop to think that none of us would be here if it wasnt for a bunch of smokers? Look at the statistics for the number of men and women who smoked in 1950. Let alone 1850. Some of our greatest Americans were heavy smokers. Sure, its a lousy habit and a potential killer but if people want to smoke in places where they dont interefere with others through the smoke, go for it. Smoke on. Smoke on the water.

ira   

I can't even pretend to know if you guys are tounge in cheek...but no matter...It took me a long time to come to this realization...that livin' good is the best revenge.

I've never smoked a cigarette---my parents told me not to, so I didn't. Yes, I was one of "those."

Never smoked a joint. I used to tell my friends that I didn't want to burn in hell. Don't know why I thought that I would, but they used to respond with---"Shut up Wendy and pass it on then."

I did smoke a cigar for the first time in June with my brother's best friend while visiting San Antonio, TX. I felt strangely naughty as I never did anything like that when I was young. I suppose at 48...I can smoke a "stogie" if I want. grin I haven't done it since.

angelina   

I love tobacco. I like smoking opium or crack more than tobacco but they were beginning to interfere with my jogging.

I dont know why everyone gets so righteous about cigarettes? Didnt anyone stop to think that none of us would be here if it wasnt for a bunch of smokers? Look at the statistics for the number of men and women who smoked in 1950. Let alone 1850. Some of our greatest Americans were heavy smokers. Sure, its a lousy habit and a potential killer but if people want to smoke in places where they dont interefere with others through the smoke, go for it. Smoke on. Smoke on the water.

Smoking would have been one of my healthier vices back in the day! eye