Sign in to follow this  
ira

"Cyber-Bullying"

"What the hell is wrong with people?"

Exactly. I've seen bullying in school. There's bullying in the workplace. Heck, there's bullying here at EricCarmen.com! I guess if you get your kicks out of antagonizing and belittling other people you have absolutely no regard for their feelings or well-being. If you did, you'd never exhibit such abhorrent behavior in the first place.

Bernie

missm   

Ira, this story is horrific!! The only fitting punishment for his tormentors would be to be placed in General Population in prison!! That is assuming they will not plead guilty, the trial goes to a jury and then....well ya know. It's just too bad that they cannot also be charged with a "hate crime". All in all I sincerely hope they will not be offered any sort of a plea deal!!

This is the kind of story that breaks my heart. crying

James   

This is a pretty terrible one..

Like the one in the papers locally here now where 2 females, jealous of another female, employed some kids to throw acid in her face. The acid ate her flesh I guess about 100%...they've done skin grafts for months now. She's alive but looks like a monster. She's testifying in the trial against her attackers and I guess when she took the stand most of the jurors reacted with different forms of horror. Can you believe having to live like that? It's not looking bad that's so much the problem, but it's how people react to her. That lady is suffering.

Anyway, privacy is a big thing. The guy in Ira's video was abused about as bad as it can get. But where does it stop? Where is it OK to invade someone's privacy?

Most here seemed to think the invasion of Mel Gibson's privacy was ok. It wasn't. Just because you think someone is an asshole doesn't give you the right to invade his privacy. We make excuses all the time why it's ok to know private stuff about people, when IMHO it's none of our business. Our excuses range from he's a politician and should know politics is a tough playing field. Or she's a celebrity, she's making millions, she ought to be able to take a little invasion of privacy. Or he's an anti-Semite so he deserves what's coming to him. Or she CHOSE to be in the public eye, thus she's fair game for the gossip columns. Etc. Etc Etc. These are all B.S. excuses. These people are human beings.

Invading someone's privacy is wrong. And it's a bigger issue now because of all the technology.

Think about it. Our acceptance of the invasion of Mel's privacy, and our acceptance of the invasion of many others' privacy lays the groundwork for something like what happened to that kid in Ira's video. Once you start accepting invading privacy like Mel Gibson's privacy was invaded, it's not such a far jump to do what those 2 did to the kid in Ira's video.

What happened here grew out of our soil - the soil of 2010 American cultural norms.

WE paved the way for what happened to that kid.

IMHO..

James

ira   

It turns out this kid hadn't told his parents that he was gay so this was traumatic on EVERY level.

It turns out ALL the players in this sad story were Freshmen...They'd been at Rutgers all of 1 month...and this putz Ravi...had to skewer his new and "different" roommate just as he was away from home and tryin' to make his way in the world for the first time ever.

It turns out that these two insensitive bullies were friends from a "clique" in high school from the wealthy "Princeton/Plainsboro N.J." area..(BTW...the area where "House" on FOX takes place)..and I can't prove it...but I'm sure they were just as cruel to "uncool" people in high school and were tryin' to assert themselves at Rutgers and continue their high school practice of hurting the "uncool" kids who were "different".

It turns out that this poor kid drove an hour north and killed himself near his home in Ridgewood New Jersey...The shame that he must have felt because of these two thoughtless narcissists!

darlene   

This is a terrible tragedy. Tyler Clementi was a gifted violinist from Ridgewood, NJ High School and had only been a freshman at Rutgers for 3 weeks.

I played in the Rutgers Orchestra and, but for a juxtaposition in time, would have known and played in the orchestra with this talented young man. It brings home to me how this could have happened to any of my friends there. Such a senseless, rotten waste of humanity.

No matter where those two were from, they lacked human decency.

And they most likely would have been the first to complain if someone taped them without their knowledge, let alone put it on a twitter feed.

Had they known what the consequences their actions would have, they might not have done this, but, then again, given their callousness, they might have. We can't really know, but they weren't using the brains they were supposedly given, like the teenagers up for murder in the case of Phoebe, who committed suicide after being bullied.

Now they will have to live with the consequences of their actions.

:(--D

What a rotten thing to do to anyone. Could those insensitive clods have imagined this result? I would like to find out their feelings about this situation in about ten years. Will they be repentent or deny responsibility for their inhuman behavior. We are supposed to be supportive of our fellow humans but I suspect they were never taught that.

I was bullied by a girl in Jr. High but oddly it didn't bother me even though I was quite shy. It seemed like such a waste of her time, it was puzzling to me.

I saw her about thirty years later and she was a sad person, obviously miserable and under the influence of something, legal or not. She said she bullied me because she was jealous. Of what I don't know. I was not popular or stood out in any way that I can figure.

Strange.

Maybe one of our resident psychologists could clue me in.

Belle

missm   

Unfortunately, cyber-bullying is not limited to kids. There was a story that some of you might recall in which an adult woman pretended to be a teenaged boy. A relationship was started with a teenaged girl and when it was very rudely terminated by the alledged teenaged boy, the girl hanged herself.

I was bullied in elementary school and it was then that I learned a great lesson about bullies. They are pathetic, insecure and jealous. As a 4th grader after having spent many lunchtimes being chased all over the school by bully-girl and her little gang, I eventually agreed to fight her (at my school all fights took place in a vacant lot beside the school). Yes, she cleaned my clock (she was in 6th grade)and I also learned not to ever let anyone get the drop on you. I have never been a bully, but have gone through life knowing this...IF YOU START IT, I WILL FINISH IT.

Evidently stories of bullyng strike a nerve with me!

Kirk   

I want Miriam on my team..."and now, climbing into the ring at 6'2 and 160, on the side of all the is good and righteous, the divine missm :)"