Sign in to follow this  
ira

The 36 Righteous People

ira   

Y'all know that I had a quasi-religious Jewish upbringing full of contradictions and "Shoulds" and certainly not enough joy.

Unlike Eric...I don't quite believe religions separate people.yet ritual does NOT work for me.

Yet in some ways I am obviously culturally VERY Jewishly identified and embrace some of the Biblical teachings of how to behave toward eachother.

I've ALWAYS been somewhat cynical about the world...BUT have ALWAYS coveted good friends and GOOD family members.

Orthodox Jews believe that in every generation there are "Lamed Vuv Tzadikim"...36 Righteous People.

I don't know if I quite believe that either...But I know that in my lifetime...there have been a finite number of very special people.

How's 'bout sharin' some posts about people who've been very special in your lives!

James   

What a great topic.

I've got to think about this one. I may come back and write on it later. In the meantime, I look forward to the responses.

Great thread Ira!..

James

ira   

Thanks James...

To paraphrase Sally Fields at the Oscars...

"James..I like you..I really like you".

missm   

What an interesting topic, my dearest Ira!! One of (there have been about 20)most Righteous people I have ever had the pleasure of being influenced by was my 10th grade communications teacher, James Hanson. He taught me (and the entire class)to speak for ourselves and not to "generalize". In other words, if it is your opinion being offered don't say "some people/most people" blah, blah. Say "I think or I know" and to stand by our convictions. He taught us to question authority and to always be open minded enough to consider opinions that differed from our own.

Ira, I have found that in the course of my life there have been many, many righteous people for one reason or another. Of course one of the most Righteous Persons in my life right now is...YOU... for reasons well known to you. Thanks, pallie. I LOVE YOU AND YOU KNOW YOU ROCK!!

I think this is a wonderful topic. smile

This is something I wrote for my father, and I read it at his funeral in March. My father was the most moral and ethical man I've ever known, yet still so funloving and hilarious. He taught me so much of what life should be, including everything I wrote in this little piece. I miss him so much. I'm sorry it's long, but the best way I can think of to honor him is to share what he inspired in me.

The night my father died, I couldn't sleep. I kept saying, "Come back, Daddy," even though I knew he couldn't. But I also knew that if he could have, he would have, even if it meant being in pain again. That's the kind of man my father was. He would do anything to help someone who needed it, friend, family, stranger. And he'd do it with a smile and a joke.

And then I had a thought - maybe he hasn't really gone, not in the ways that matter the most.Because he existed, we have memories of him, and those memories will always be with us. Maybe they'll come at odd moments and surprise us, or maybe we'll purposefully call them up. Whichever way, they're here. He's here.

Then I begged him again to come back, because memories don't seem enough.

It's his physical presence that we're missing right now; his smile, laugh, hugs, handshakes, his conversation and sometimes odd sense of humor. We're missing knowing that we can see him whenever we want to. And those things have gone. We'll never get them back.

But the best parts of him, the parts he gave to us from inside him, aren't gone. They exist, only inside of us instead of him. His love and loyalty, his dedication and generosity, all the care and concern he's shown to us, his strength; those things are in our hearts and memories. Those are the things we'll remember the most even when the sound of his voice starts to dim and the clarity of his face slowly fades. Death can only take the body; it can't take what made my dad the wonderful man he was. That's a truth.

Of course, there's a difference between knowing a truth and believing a truth. Right now, I know that truth. I don't really believe it. Maybe none of you do, either. At some point, probably at different times for each of us, we'll come to believe it, and it will bring us comfort. And I believe that each time one of us reaches that point, Dad will be up there shaking his head and sying, "About time." That, too, is the kind of man my father was. He wants us to go on, to live, to love and enjoy life. And when we do, he'll be relieved.

We were all so blessed to have this man in our lives, especially my sister and me. To have a father who was so loving and involved in our lives, who truly valued our happiness above his own, is something we'll remember and cherish the rest of our lives.

Dad thought he was invincible, and in a way, he was right. Because death can't beat him, not as long as we remember and love him. So let's do that, remember and love him, with less sadness and more joy as time goes by. He'd do the same for us. I truly believe that.

So thank you, Daddy, for staying with me, even though your body was tired and had to go. You're at peace, and we will be, too.

I hardly got through this. You just described my Daddy. I read this to my mom and we both cried.

Thank you for you beautiful post!

I hope to add to Ira's post at another time.

ira   

A little Man-Love here.

In the coupla years I've known GMan...who I met thru THIS site...he has proven to be a man who...

1-NEVER stands on ceremony.

2-Would do ANYTHING for a friend.

3-Raised fed and raises and feeds his sons like a loving yet stern lion.

That's IT!...He's in my "36 Tzadikim...Righteos People Hall Of Fame".

BTW...The 2010 Commitee (composed of me)...voted him in unanimously.

angelina   

heather...thank you.....that was PERFECT.

As a father of two daughters..I hope I can have half the impact on my kids as your dad had on you!

awesome!

ira   

Ya know as I get older I also get more cynical about celebrities...Are they REALLY nice or is it P.R?

But I always thought George Burns came off as one of the righteous people of HIS generation.

To his dying days as an icon of like 100 years old he would say that he would've been nothing without Gracie.

I don't know confused...I always thought he was kinda a talented guy in his own right.

heather...thank you.....that was PERFECT.

As a father of two daughters..I hope I can have half the impact on my kids as your dad had on you!

awesome!

Aw, thanks! smile

I'm sure your daughters feel about you the same way I feel about mine.

::sigh:: Daddies and little girls...there's something really special about it.

ira   

Heather...Welcome Welcome Welcome to EC.Com.

Hey everyone...Y'all said..."What a Nice Thread"...I know "you'se ain't shy"...How about some sharing about people who moved you in your lives. heartpump