Sign in to follow this  
Wendy-Ann

Another graduation, my niece. (video too)

(Even though this has a video, I placed it here as the video is the gift I will be giving to my niece.)

I was chosen to be my niece's Godmother before her birth and fulfill that roll even today as she attends Mass with me every week.

I held her at her baptism, then moved to London, and didn’t see her again until a surprised visit home---2 years later. I walked up to my brother’s house, my sis in law, Sue, answered the door and shouted: “WENDY!†My then 6 year old niece and 4 year old nephew ran to the door screaming: “TETA!!!!!!!!!!!!†(Aunt in Lithuanian) Then---over toddled a little 2 year old. And she held her arms in the air and in a “Cindy Lou Who†voice she whispered: "Teta." Her first word in Lithuanian. Upon seeing this, my sis in law said that Katharyn never goes to ANYBODY. It was then that we bonded forever.

I was lucky to be at her class plays and supervised her birthday parties, picked her up from school when she was sick and helped her with her homework. We would have late night slumber parties and movie night 2 to 3 times a month. “Teta...pleeeeeeaaaaasssseee come over and watch a movie with me!†How could I say no?

I was the one who taught her how to drive, and I even dropped her off on her first day of HS. And I was the first person to see her in her cap and gown. (In fact she had no idea when I was asking her to pose, that I was taking photos for this video-gift.)

Katharyn Elizabeth Isabella is an “old soul†with wisdom beyond her years. She has always stuck up for the under dog and spoke up when she felt something was wrong, and questioned everything. Include me a few times, but I put an end to that! Haha

She is indeed the daughter I never had, and is one of the loves of my life. She graduates from the same HS I did, 30 years and 12 days later. June 23, 2010.

PS: I first heard the song in this video on the show “The Mother’s In Law†when I was 5, and I have never forgotten it. All of the photos are mine except the first 7. And yes, I cried when I began to put this together. A LOT! I watched as her life unfolded in front of me...

Please note that in picture # 7 she is dressed in her Lithuanian costume. Yes, we indoctrinate early in this family! wink

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0keibN1Ac

angelina   

What an absolute treasure of a gift for anyone who views this! Your niece is a beautiful young woman and she is lucky to have a teta like you in her life.

These kids grow way too fast! Thanks for the heart-tug!

angelina   

I turned that off after 10 seconds...when I said music never gets me choked up...I forgot about that song...I CAN'T listen to it!

It's always the tough guys who have the biggest hearts....especially if it comes to their girls. I hear ya' bro!

Later on in wendy's piece...her niece is actually heading out the front door. Really touching!!!!

missm   

Wendy, what a beautiful gift for Katharyn!! She is so blessed to have you for her Aunt. The love the two of you share is evident in all of the photos!! Congratulations on graduating, Katharyn!!!

darlene   

Wendy, What an absolutely touching tribute to Katharyn! Congratulations, Katharyn! You are SO lucky to have Teta Wendy!

And she is SO lucky to have you.

I cried viewing this. My sister gave me two nieces, Dawn Marie and Allison Elaine. Dawn is a registered nurse and a Mom now, of Nicholas, who is a teenager! My niece Allison, her younger sister, was one of the passengers killed in a car crash in 1983. She was just 15.

I had the kind of relationship with her that Wendy has with Katharyn. Allison and I bonded immediately when I came home from college and saw her for the first time.

It's eerie because she never called me "Aunt Darlene." She always called me simply, "Aunt," the way Katharyn calls you "Teta." One day, I asked her why she never used my name. She said, "Because you are THE Aunt. Like Sherlock Holmes called Irene Adler THE Woman. You are the best and ONLY one in the whole world." That absolutely floored me.

I'm glad you have such a special relationship with Katharyn and that you so appreciate it. I will always treasure and cherish mine with Allison. Thank you SO very much for your video. It was truly a gift to me as well!

:)--Love, Darlene

I figured Wendy would do that...anyone smart enough to use this song was going to utilize that visual. I'll watch it tomorrow...I don't feel like getting sad tonight!

How absolutely beautiful, Wendy. Beautiful song, video, niece and Teta. And such a wonderful present to her.

Congratulations to Katharyn!

You've inspired me to do something....not sure what yet...for my nine-year old niece. I don't see her often, but think of her all the time, and she should definitely know that.

Thanks so much for sharing!

elle4ec   

What a lovely way to honor your niece on her achievement, Wendy! I have a niece I share a special bond with, who also graduated from High School this year. Please send Katharyn my congratulations!

ira   

Mazel Tov Wendy...and to your lovely neice.."B'Hatzlacha"...May you find..(and you will) success in all you do.

Bee-yoo-tee-ful Wendy.