Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

WMMS: The Buzzard

wmms-01.jpg

wmms-02.jpg

wmms-03.jpg

David Spero was one of the original disc jockeys at now legendary Cleveland radio station WMMS. At that time, radio was free-form, meaning that the DJs could play music of their own choosing, which meant David (seen in the top photo with Eric) played Eric Carmen.

"We were playing the music we loved to hear," Spero said. "It was unorganized chaos that worked. There were no rules, nothing to pattern ourselves after. What we did was kind of cool. The fact that it turned into a huge commercial success was despite everything we did."

These three previously unpublished photos were taken on November 19, 1979 during a local swing through Cleveland radio stations while Eric was publicizing the release of his third solo album, "Change of Heart."

Bernie

• Like 1

Kirk   

Makes you yearn for the 'good 'ol days', doesn't it? Looks like Eric is wearing Burwen headphones- my personal choice from that era. Nice!

How can anyone be soooo cuuute? Hubba Hubba!

BTW my exhusband and son started in radio as top 40 discjockeyes. They are both into technical engineering in TV now. My son works at 20th Century Fox Television Network and loves his work.(Yes, I am bragging. He is my only chick and turned out quite well.)

PaulMaul   
Kirk said:

Did you notice it has a pull tab? The girls used to make necklaces out of those things

I remember pull tabs, but I don't remember them being on the bottom of the can....

Kirk   

Cans back then were not one piece aluminum as they have been for the last few decades. The can bodies were light steel, and the end caps were aluminum. It was not totally uncommon to have the can 'flipped' during the manufacturing process and end up with the pull tab on the wrong end of the can.

angelina   

Looks like a Dunhill cigarette or something of that ilk. Even though I never smoked cigarettes I LOVE seeing photos like this where people smoke at their desks at work or at the radio console, etc.... Too cool!

missm   
PaulMaul said:

How come the Pepsi can looks like it's upside down?

Once I finished oohing and ahhing over Eric, I asked myself the same question!! That question and what brand of cigarette was he smoking. Dunhill?

elle4ec   
PaulMaul said:

How come the Pepsi can looks like it's upside down?

If I were a Pepsi can, and Eric :heartpump: "pulled my pull tab" :blush: , and then put his lips :P on me...

I'd probably look like I was turned upside down :spin:, too ...

Kirk   

Eric, you were probably loving the sound of your record through those headphones...I remember you like electrostatics.

They don't make 'em like these anymore.

ANDREA   

As always, thank you Bernie for so wonderful pics and story!

The 1st pic: Sweetness! Eric's smile...resembles his beautiful son on this photo, looks like Clayton so much! :)

What a sexy way to smoke.

ERIC I'M DEEPLY IN LOVE! :wub:

Everything back then was "Thou shalt not....!"

I'm a firm believer in "Thou shall...." Nothing is off limits if it brings people pleasure. I don't believe in "sin." Like Nitszche, I believe sin was something that priests created to keep themselves in power. They took every natural human impulse, and made it a sin. Without "sin", who would need priests?

Sex is bad, gluttony is bad, envy is bad, sloth is bad......

I love sex, I love great food, I can't help but envy my neighbor who has a beautiful wife and a big house, I like to sleep in on Sunday.....For all these natural desires, I now need the redemption of a priest.

Why would God create us, and then saddle us with a plethora of natural instincts that were in direct opposition to what he wanted?

I think the priests saw that they could make us feel guilty about every natural urge, and used that to their advantage for power and control.

Just my two cents.

e

elle4ec   
Eric Carmen said:

You're givin' me a case of the "vapors"!

Mr. Carmen, if I'm invited to join your harem :wub: , I think I have just the thing to cure your case of the "vapors"...

...Of course, I'm speaking from a medical standpoint ;)...

I just hope your age limit isn't 19 :angry: !