Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cartmill

"...Forever Tonight" Story?

Now that you have some time, E.C., do you have the background of the best cover of your song since Reno/Wilson, when Cetera and the "Wings" chick put you back on the charts for a moment with the great "IWTFT"? How did Cetera hear the demo? Did you talk to him about the vision of the recording, and their killer harmony?

I don't know the story how that song ended up in their hands but it does work well as a duo.

I DO know that their version has watered down lyrics to remove any hint of sexual innuendo, and I just assumed Cetera rewrote them as he was becoming an increasingly spirtual person.

Eric did you or Pitchford rewrite the lyrics for them, or did Cetera, and if so, did he have get permission?

I tried before to get the "Inside Story" from Eric on this one but all I got was crickets and tumbleweeds...I hope he has the time now because I might start crying like a "second moon" if I don't get some answers! :(

elle4ec   
Tony Cartmill said:

I tried before to get the "Inside Story" from Eric on this one but all I got was crickets and tumbleweeds...I hope he has the time now because I might start crying like a "second moon" if I don't get some answers! :(

Tony, Tony, Tony,...Mama always told me, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"!

In fact, warm honey always seems to work for me ;)...

Eric, Honey... would you "Bee" so sweet as to expound on this subject? I'd like to know your "Inside Story" :wub: too...

Ok, God knows, I don't want Tony on a rampage!

Peter re-worked the lyric and did, indeed, take out any innuendo that Andy Goldmark and I worked so hard to tastefully insert. Having said that, I've always been a fan of Peter's voice and I like a lot of his songs, both solo and with Chicago. As a matter of fact, I only started to like Chicago when Peter's influence (Beatles, Beach Boys) manifested itself in their music. Before that, they were just "Blood, Sweat and Tears from the midwest" to me. I didn't love the early stuff. It was Peter's influence and David Foster's production that made me a Chicago fan.

Andy and I had nothing to do with the re-write, and kind of chuckled about it, as the whole basic premise of the song was about prolonging sex. Ha!

Thanks EC, but:

Tony Cartmill said:

How did Cetera hear the demo? Did you talk to him about the vision of the recording, and their killer harmony?

or does that harmony just write itself from your great chorus melody?

Any conversations with Peter, or thanks from him?

Regarding Peter's influence on Chicago, Eric, I suspect you liked the change of direction with If You Leave Me Now? I do, love that song, french horn opening, could be an EC song. I think their biggest hit. (sorry memory not serving, I thought erroneously that was Pitchford, not Goldmark)

I'm surprised Peter Cetera didn't rewrite the title.

David Foster is a musical genius, alumni with my folks at UW here in Seattle, Q went to high school here too at Garfield, my Dads high school, course so did Jimi, Heart went to my high school.. all before Seattle grunge.

elle4ec   
Seattle Steve said:

Regarding Peter's influence on Chicago, Eric, I suspect you liked the change of direction with If You Leave Me Now? I do, love that song, french horn opening, could be an EC song. I think their biggest hit. (sorry memory not serving, I thought erroneously that was Pitchford, not Goldmark)

I agree, Steve, I love "If You Leave Me Now", and Peter's voice.

"Chicago" was definitely at their peak, and produced their finest works, when Peter was with them.

"Chicago" was the very first live concert I ever attended. It was 1976, I was 13, and "If You Leave Me Now" was their current hit.

...You can just imagine how a 13 year-old girl like myself felt when I heard Peter's voice :heartpump: on that song during the performance!

It was definitely the highlight of the evening for me.

It's funny you should mention how "If You Leave Me Now" could have been an Eric Carmen song...Since I became a fan of Eric's music, I've thought on more than one occasion how the song reminded me of Eric's music, and how great Eric's voice :wub: would have sounded on that song, also.

angelina   

I've seen Chicago in various incarnations about 10 times in the past 33 years. In fact last month I saw tehm at the Naples Philharmonic. They were in EXCELLENT voice. I saw Cetera a few years back when he toured with a chamber orchestra. He was fantastic reworking some of Chicago's classics (he didn't unfortunately perform "Forever Tonight" ).

I could EASILY see ec working his magic in a similar manner. Put ec up front one, black suit and shirt, flowing locks, mic stand in front, chamber orchestra et al...doing his "thang"! Maybe even rework some of the rockers and emotionally take control of the room with the ballads! Booyah!

elle4ec   

Booyah indeed, John! Sounds like just the thing for Eric!

And, thanks Eric, :) for "bee"ing so sweet and giving us a little of the "Inside Story" on this!

Of course, Tony has questions, and still more questions on this topic!

...I hope Eric doesn't feel like strangling :D him again...

Hey howdy folks! Chicago was certainly blessed, to have three wonderful singers right out of the starting gate. With Robert Lamm, Terry Kath and Peter Cetera. I love the material they compiled together, only wish it could have lasted longer.Although Robert was my favorite, Peter was quite probably the best at conveying the attitude and meaning of a song he was singing. They all were gifted at this, but I feel Peter was exceptional at it. I think a shining example would be in my opinion the nostalgic song Old Days. Cheers! highwayangel