Sign in to follow this  
ira

Eric's Chart History

ira   

I thought you might find this interesting...All of Eric's charted successes as a Raspberry...as Eric solo...as a writer recorded by others.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for chart info.

Maybe this has been done already..If so..I swear I didn't know :yikes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Carmen

Kirk   

I like the entry in the beginning...very serious:

"Not to be confused with Eric Cartman". haha

elle4ec   

Thanks, Ira! The bottom of the page states it was recently updated. I've not seen this exact page before. Great to see the comparative info here!

ira   

Yes elle...I've always enjoyed stats..in baseball...music.. etc.

Sometimes I STILL marvel at computers...that I can be thinkin' aboout ANYTHING and find it...It wasn't always that way in our lifetimes!

Les R.   

"Marathon Man," the third single released from Boats Against the Current, "bubbled under" the Billboard Hot 100, reaching #101. Does anyone know of any other EC or Raspberries songs that almost charted but didn't quite make it??

Marathon Man is one of my favorite songs. It' so inspiring, and is vastly underrated. The arrangement has gusto, to go along with Eric's great vocal delivery with gusto! The lyrics alone are very motivating.

angelina   

Sometimes I STILL marvel at computers...

Ira...I marvel at the thermos...yes the thermos. I put cold liquid in it....it stays cold....i put hot liquid in it...it stays hot. How does it know the difference? winkgrin

"Marathon Man," the third single released from Boats Against the Current, "bubbled under" the Billboard Hot 100, reaching #101. Does anyone know of any other EC or Raspberries songs that almost charted but didn't quite make it??

As for "Raspberries" I know ('cause I've seen one in the plastic) Party's Over was issued as a single... after Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)... many years ago there was a small stack of them in a huge 45 bin in a small used record store in Goose Creek, SC... I have often wished I'd have snatched them up, but I didn't... I think there was a second-single from "Tonight You're Mine" there as well, but I'm not sure which one it was... frown

GMan   

Yes elle...I've always enjoyed stats..in baseball...music.. etc.

Sometimes I STILL marvel at computers...that I can be thinkin' aboout ANYTHING and find it...It wasn't always that way in our lifetimes!

Yes Ira....but stats NEVER tell the whole story! grin

ira   

GMan...I absolutely agree...The Supremes...for example...may have had more hits than Eric...But Eric's hits drove in more runs as far as I'm concerned.

Billy   

Pretty sure All For Love was the third single released off Tonight You're Mine --- forgot what was on the B side.

"All For Love" was released with "Tonight You're Mine" on the flips side. EC.com has a pretty extensive discography under the MUSIC tab above.

Bernie

Les R.   

YW MissM! I am indeed the creator of several Wikipedia pages in EC's honor (under my Wiki alias of JGabbard). However, I can take credit only for these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Eric_Carmen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Did_It

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_All_the_Way_(Raspberries_song)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_Rock_'n'_Roll

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_Deanie

(Sorry only 2 of those links work -- Parentheses and punctuation cause a glitch.)

missm   

Les, I would welcome you to the board but since you have been a member since '07, I will just say that I am sincerely happy to read your posts. I read you wikipedia contributions about Eric while I waited for my membership to be processed.

Les R.   

It should be noted that the Cash Box chart (CB) was MUCH kinder to EC (& the Raspberries) than was Billboard's Hot 100 chart (BB):

ALL BY MYSELF -- #2 on BB, but #1 on CB. I'll always have a little grudge against BB for that one!

NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN -- #11 on BB, but #9 on CB.

SHE DID IT -- #23 on BB, #15 on CB. Those of you who know what my favorite EC song is can just guess what I think about this!

BABY, I NEED YOUR LOVIN' -- #62 on BB, #60 on CB.

HUNGRY EYES -- #4 on BB, #3 on CB.

Same goes for most of the Raspberries's big hits:

GO ALL THE WAY -- Reached #5 on BB, but #4 on CB.

I WANNA BE WITH YOU -- #16 on BB, but hit the Top 10 in CB! (#10) So on CB, EC has 2 more Top 10 hits to his credit!

LET'S PRETEND -- Definitely the biggest discrepancy of all: While it charted only at #35 in BB with 7 weeks in the Top 40, it fared quite differently in CB. There it reached #18, and held that position for 2 weeks! Not only that, Let's Pretend spent the same number of weeks in CB's Top 40 as did Go All the Way -- 12 weeks!

TONIGHT -- Another major difference: #69 on BB, but made Top 40 in CB! (#37)

I'M A ROCKER -- #94 on BB, but #75 CB.

Two EC songs actually tied (COH & ITWL), and a few others did chart just slightly lower on CB. The only significant exception was Overnight Sensation (#18 on BB, #24 on CB). But I hope you'll agree that all EC fans should consider Cash Box to be the more accurate source for charting information!!

Kirk   

Now all you have to do is throw in the chart positions from Record World, and you'll have the Holy Trinity from that era!

Most people know All By Myself reached #2 on the weekly Billboard, but some don't know what songs kept it from #1

The week of March 6, 1976 ABM first reached #2 with the Miracles "Love Machine" at their only week at #1. ABM stayed at #2 for three weeks, so what happened when Love Machine dropped to #3 the following week? Frankies "Oh What a Night" leaped from #3 to #1 and kept Eric out of the top spot for the next 2 weeks.

Les R.   

That is great to know! BB does not make their old weekly charts so freely available, but by looking at the CB chart I figured it went something like that. ABM's run on Cash Box went 4-3-2-1-5, instead of 3 weeks at #2. Other great songs of 1976 that hit #1 on Cash Box but not Billboard include:

Dream Weaver - Gary Wright (BB #3)

Lonely Night - Captain & Tennille (BB #3)

Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale (BB #2)

Lowdown - Box Scaggs (BB #3)

What impresses me the most, is just how well NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN did as the follow up release to All BY Myself. It is a daunting challenge to score that well after a MEGA hit like that Music history is generally not that kind in most cases. Most artists have found this to be true.