Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Any Requests?

eric_requests-01.jpg

Imagine standing in Eric's living room in front of his Yamaha grand piano. He sits down at the keyboard, runs his hands across the ivory keys, turns to you and asks, "Any requests?" What would yours be?

This previously unpublished photo of Eric was taken in 2000. Eric had just released WInter Dreams and was heading out for a promotional appearance tour of Japan.

As for my request? "Boats Against The Current" would be right up there at the top. But because I've already heard Eric play it live a few times live in concert, I'd probably have to go with "She Remembered."

Bernie

angelina   

Two great choices Bernie. To that I'd add "Foolin' Myself" just to hear the Rachmaninoff-influenced solo.

This is a cool photo!!!!

ANDREA   

I'd add "Foolin' Myself" too...it's very special to me, and sounding on that piano, well, that would be sublime!

What an awesome photo, Bernie! Eric looks like a prince :heartpump:

dianed   

Very nice pic, Bernie !!

My request??? Hmmm...That's a toughie ! I would want to hear everything....the entire list...from A to Z !! And I wouldn't stop begging until I heard it all !! :lol:

elle4ec   
Raspbernie said:

Imagine standing in Eric's living room in front of his Yamaha grand piano. He sits down at the keyboard, runs his hands across the ivory keys, turns to you and asks, "Any requests?" What would yours be?

Imagine...The key word here, right Bernie? Oh my goodness! Most of you know by now what a vivid imagination I have...So, if I were to imagine myself in Eric's living room in front of the grand piano, here's how my fantasy would begin...

First of all, I would feel like the luckiest girl in the world after Eric had just given me a private tour of his lovely home, and we'd made our way back to the living room, and to the piano. After Eric is seated and turns to me and asks, "Any requests?", I'd respond, "Of course!". I'd continue by saying, "But, my first request is not for a song, I'd like to ask if I may join you on the piano bench?"

Eric would respond, "By all means", and I would take my place on the bench beside him. My heart would be beating so fast, and voice shaking, I would inquire, as I look into those eyes and make my first request..."Would you be so kind and play "Boats Against The Current" for me? You must know by now it's my favorite, and how much the song means to me. But, Oh Eric, this is such a difficult choice! I love your music so much, especially your ballads. And, sitting here beside you at the piano, is truly a dream come true."

As Eric smiles and nods and begins playing, I'd watch those hands on the keyboard begin to make their magic, and I'd hear those oh so familiar notes of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"... only now those notes would take on a beauty all their own, a beauty only Eric could create with his voice, and his music, and one song...one song that would be the start of a most extraordinarily beautiful beginning to a truly unforgettable evening.

I'd listen dreamily as Eric continued to play, never wanting the moment to end. And as Eric finishes the song, he'd turn to me, and I'd look into his eyes and tearily say, "Thank you, Eric, you'll never know how much this means to me."

To which Eric would turn to me and reply, "You know, Elle, we don't have to stop at one song..." and would smile that winning smile. I'd return the smile, and my trembling hand would brush away a stray lock of that glorious hair off of his cheek, and I would answer, "No, Mr. Carmen, I suppose we don't...I suppose we don't..."

Whew! Thanks Bernie! I'll try to slowly, reluctantly bring myself back to reality now.

Imagine...As you can see it's not difficult for me to do, Bernie! ;)

...It's where my best dreams are made... :heartpump:

Raspbernie said:

This is easy for me.

There is only one song. ONE...that I'd want to hear and I'd die happy.

I have heard it only once, live...and that was in Cleveland. And if you look at the photo below, half of my blush is missing because...I wiped it away with my tears as I listened to ... that ... ONE ... song. You don't have to be a genius to know which one I mean.

However, I would not like to think, I will never hear that song, ever...again...

elle4ec said:

Imagine...The key word here, right Bernie? Oh my goodness! Most of you know by now what a vivid imagination I have...So, if I were to imagine myself in Eric's living room in front of the grand piano, here's how my fantasy would begin...

I enjoyed your post, elle!

elle4ec   
WendyWorld said:

I enjoyed your post, elle!

Thanks, Wendy!

Just another example of Elle in her dream :heartpump: world...

You know I always enjoy your posts, too!

missm   

Thank you, Bernie, thank you!!! This is such a spectacular photo of Eric!!! It is one of the most beautiful I have seen!!! Thank you, again!!

ECatw   

A second request?

"A Temporary Hero" -- beautiful song!

Bernie, it seems that song is no longer available on your "Boats" blog site. Is there anyway it can be posted here in the "Multimedia/Demos" section? It would be another treasure to have here on this site.

I always wanted to hear Eric's take on Wally's Send A Ship. From the first time I heard it I heard Eric singing it with a slightly different arrangement. It would be another Carmen/Bryson classic. Or Bryson/Carmen classic.

WOW! Elle..... ummm.... that made me blush just reading it. But somehow that seems to be all of the ladies here their hearts desire.... 

Ahem... now.... the song I would love to hear...."I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine". Second request: "All for Love".

Please and Thank you..... :)

I would have my obvious requests, but more importantly, I would like the vibe of a half dozen stools or more, and drink coasters around the grand, and the banter. EC is such a wonderful storyteller, I would like to hear the behind the music stuff, alternate lyrics he wrestled with, and melodies that are floating around his head too. Figuring that Bernie would be on one of those stools, we'd probably hear the most incredible acoustic version of Boats ever.

My point is, that what does Eric noodle with on the piano today? I doubt he's playing the singles every day, what intrigues Eric? Eric...?

Seattle Steve said:

I would have my obvious requests, but more importantly, I would like the vibe of a half dozen stools or more, and drink coasters around the grand, and the banter.

Ahhh...reminds me of a great, GREAT, night after Raspberries played their New Year's Eve show at the House of Blues in Cleveland. We all went back to the hotel and closed the bar that night. There was a piano, and lots of people were playing—Billy, Paul, Jennifer...and after much coaxing, Eric got behind the keys and played everything from Small Faces to Beatles. What an awesome treat! At one point as Eric was taking requests, a bartender within earshot said, "Do you know anything by Billy Joel?"

:lol: