Sign in to follow this  
Tiggsherby

Billy, Paul & Jennifer

I think that Billy, Paul and Jennifer were an integral part of the band during the reunion tour....in my mind, they were "Raspberries" as much as Eric, Dave, Wally and Jim.

I'm not so sure we gave them as much credit as they deserved for being a part of our Raspberrie experience. So, here's a toast to "The Overdubs" for making a great band.....even greater!!!

James   

I wouldn't go as far as you did Tiggs (saying they were Raspberries as much as the original 4), but I agree with your gist - I liked them all a bunch.

If those 3 formed a band together, I'd for sure pay to see them play. Those 2 guys can really play guitar. Jennifer Lee is stunning, and can sing really great (she sings a small solo part on "Top Down Summer").

And all 3 seem likeable as heck.

Kirk   

If it seemed like they fit right in (and they did!) it could be because Paul, Billy and Jennifer were Eric's band for the R&R HOF show in 2000. By the time the 'berries reunited it was like putting on your favorite pair of comfy slippers :)

Kirk said:

If it seemed like they fit right in (and they did!) it could be because Paul, Billy and Jennifer were Eric's band for the R&R HOF show in 2000. By the time the 'berries reunited it was like putting on your favorite pair of comfy slippers :)

I love, love, love, love Jennifer's voice and told her so when I met her. What a voice!

darlene   

Those three have it all in every respect: talent, stage presence and consummate professionalism. I loved their performances. And they're fantastic people as well. Their audiences love them because they just exude their talent, so they're all doing very well.

I miss them.

:)--D

Reid C.   

Maybe it is the time that has passed or perhaps the fact that I have been fortunate enough to see the Raspberries plus Overdubs repeatedly, but there seems to be a great connection of talent and personalities, better than I recall seeing with the sidemen the 'berries played with in the past. Again, time may be dimming my recollections of concerts past, but there can be no denying, the Overdubs are great at providing that studio sound and now, are a treasured part of the Raspberries experience. Thanks so much, Jennifer, Billy, and Paul.

Jennifer does a mighty good live duet with Eric on Almost Paradise. Billy can play a mean Desperate Fools harmonica, and is up there with Wally covering Lennon's No Reply. I think Jennifer had a little solo on the live I'm a Rocker too that was good.

I think Jennifer was on I Don't Know What I Want. Speaking of that CD everyone was spotlighted except Jim. I don't remember him with a solo although All of his drumming is a highlight!

Winter sucks!

As a measure of the overdubs' talent, just consider where else we have seen them in show business lately! I wouldn't say they are the Raspberries, but they have the "raspberry touch" which always helped fill the room with the sound that we never thought we would hear live again.

Billy, Paul and Jennifer were an integral part of the reunion shows. The addition of these three superbly talented singers and musicians allowed us to make our songs sound much more like the records.

At the Carnegie Hall show in 1973, we incorporated two extra players, who played mellotrons and sax.

It's not at all unusual for a group ( especially a "vocal intensive" group ) to use additional people onstage.

We had so much material to learn in such a short period of time, I thought Billy, Paul and Jennifer would help take the strain off of everyone. They are all quick studies and I loved their vocal blend after hiring them for my show at The Rock Hall.

Billy Sullivan is one the best guitarists I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He's an awesome singer and a great all-around musician. Any band would be thrilled to have him.

Paul Sidoti is also and terrific guitarist ( as Taylor Swift will testify ) and plays good solid keyboards and is a fine singer as well. Paul is like a ray of sunshine when he walks into the room. I'm so proud of him I can't tell you.

Jennifer Lee is, quite simply, one of the finest female rock singers I have ever heard. She's incredibly versatile, beautiful, and possibly the funniest person on God's green earth. She's also a very good pianist.

It was truly a pleasure to work with all three of them. They are all pros, and they were all very consistent, night after night, nailing those harmonies, keyboard and guitar parts.

They brought a new dimension to what the band could accomplish live.

I miss working with each and every one of them.

e

• Like 2

Eric, unless you can pull off the symphony angle, that might be your solo band (ala Circus) trouble is those talents are a bad kept secret, and I suspect they are too busy on their own right to pull together for a few months.

The little my wife and I have met them, (they have no clue who we are which actually makes it more significant)they were guenuine humble, nice, and engaging people on top of their obvious talents.

Cool. Eric's got good musical radar.

angelina   

Gus Dudgeon Bio titled "Over Budget and Over Medicated"

:lol::lol:

I feel bad, that was VERY mean, funny...but mean. I didn't know the guy so I really shouldn't be so snarky... I actually LOVED his work with Elton

R.I.P. Gus

...of course I didn't delete the post ...did I?

Elton got to show up in the studio to find Bernie Taupin with a huge binder full of words, Eric had to spend months with even the lyrical syncopation of songs like "Love is All that Matters" The quadruple threat is rare.

Back when I was working with Gus, and he was getting extremely annoyed with me trying to give him input about things like guitar sounds, he told me that Elton just came in and played the piano and sang and then left the rest to him.

I thought that sounded preposterous and I didn't believe him at the time. I've since read articles that basically said that's how it happened. I still find it hard to believe Elton had so little input on all those brilliant records, but it certainly would explain why Gus and I weren't getting along in the studio! I had every note of the arrangements done and had rehearsed the band for three months before we walked into the studio in London. I suppose he might have been a bit 'bored' with an artist who had done all the homework and knew how he wanted everything to sound.

Don H   

I recently had the chance to see Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits in concert...and was so pleasantly surprised to see Billy Sullivan in the band.

Got to say hi and thank him for being such a wonderful part of The Raspberries experience the second time around.

Still remember those soundchecks and the wonderful harmonies in The Highline Theater in New York City...(what a great memory)...Let's do it again Eric!

I find this hard to believe also since the documentary on the making of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road showed a comprehensive band trying to work through some fairly sophisticated pop/rock arrangements. The sound and arrangements of that album are fairly consistent with Dont Shoot Me, and not far off from Honkey Chateau and Caribou certainly, which was also documented to be a band effort in Colorado. Im wondering if this is really an allusion to the first album, Tumbleweed etc period.

ec quotes: "I miss working with each and every one of them."

to which the house replies: "well if u miss them so much, why don't ya (marry them? no..) put on some more 'berries shows!!" ;-)

we all know it ain't as easy as it sounds, but life could be worse not having die-hard fans like the 3k or so of us who packed the downtown cleveland theatre not so long ago; hell, we'd do it again, i'd wager!