Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Wally's Guitars: Part 2

JohnO   

"I don't know about now, but, when it began, Fender Custom Shop made great instruments."

Very true....10-12 years ago, you could pick up practically any Fender Custom Shop strat or tele, and it just felt right....like an old friend. Nowadays, you need to try out quite a few to find a magical one that both plays and sounds great. Their best axes now are their Masterbuilt ones (by one senior luthier/builder), which cost way, way too damn much!

this is my dream guitar..i love 12 strings,but that one is the ultimate..before i leave this world,i want one just to play if only once!!! and leave it to my girls..by the way ernie,what's the scoop on the broken necks?? just curious..lol,chris

Crg2   

True-The Fender Custom Shop is overpriced. They need to make sure that their everyday, "player" guitars are more playable "out-of-the-box," too.

LC   

In our second installment, we feature Wally's Rickenbacker 360 12-string Mapleglo circa late-'60s guitar. Used most prominently on every Raspberries song that dripped with sweeter-than-sweet 12-string honey—like their second hit, "I Wanna Be With You" as well as "Let's Pretend"—a similar model (a 370/12 with 3 pick-ups instead of 2) was played by Roger McGuinn of the Byrds on nearly all of their recordings from 1966-1971! It's so great that Wally still has all of his original guitars. How he managed to hang onto them will be covered in our next installment. Until then, continue your drooling.

laugh

Well, if the Flying V gets a [bump], the Rick deserves one, too. Wal-LY! Wal-LY! Wal-LY!