Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Disneyland

disneyland-01.jpg

In December 1972, Raspberries performed a little known short set of tunes at Anaheim's Disneyland. I wish I had a photo of the boys in the Disneyland bandstand, but the pic of another band performing there in 1972 should give you some idea of what it might have looked like.

The show was noteworthy for another reason, Eric had a sore throat and therefore didn't sing any of the songs for this series of shows. So twice a day, Dave and Wally traded lead vocals during the band's set. And although we don't have any photos of the band performing, we do have an ULTRA-RARE audience recording. So, check out this never-before-heard rendition of Chuck Berry's "Roll Over Beethoven!"

ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN - RASPBERRIES LIVE AT DISNEYLAND

Bernie

• Like 1

Kirk   

Thanks for the 'Blast to the Past' Bernie! Having just seen the Raspberries (twice) at Disneyland during the last part of '72, it might have been a little naive to think it would just go on and on. Ah, the hope and innocence of youth!

Reid C.   

This was the beginning of the "shadowy" relationship Kirk and I have had since 1972. Always seem to be at the same Raspberries or EC events and never knew each other. We finally got to put the pieces together in '07 at the Grove show. Who knew we would be turning up at the same venues thirty-five years later, eh Kirk? :D

Reid

Kirk   

Eric,

Not being a guitar player, I confess to not noticing what guitar you were playing :mellow:

I'll tell you what I DO remember about those shows:

You guys closed both of the shows I saw with "Dancing In The Streets" (something I hadn't heard the Raspberries do before).

You referring to Wally's double-neck guitar as "The Monster".

I also remember you singing (or at least mouthing the words). Did you have a sore throat the whole week?

That was pretty cool. Thanks Kirk. I hope we're not being naive thinking it will go on and on. Ah, the hope and innocence of... being whatever it is I am now.

Those orange jumpsuits are stylin!

classic!! how in the bejeezus did that audio ever survive??... gotta admit i woulda liked to have heard EC rip-snort thru those vox...

wonder where the Cement, Gravel, & Rock Co. are now? musta been a cheezy house band @ DW..

LC   

Such a clever head for the ad: "We've picked the Raspberries for you." 

Don't know how I missed this one during the board's heyday, but... I did. Nice find—both the print ad and the "Roll Over Beethoven" audio clip.

Kirk   

LC, I had saved that ad from '72 and shared it with Bernie to use on the site.  I also have the reply to the letter I sent them in '73 asking if they were getting Raspberries back to play again.  I'll see if I can dredge that up and add it to this post...

Raspberries Disneyland letter.jpg

• Like 1