Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

The Cyrus Erie

ec-the_cyrus_erie-01.jpg

ec-the_cyrus_erie-02.jpg

ec-the_cyrus_erie-03.jpg

This week, we're stepping into our "Wayback Machine" and setting a course for 1968.

The first photo is a studio portrait of Cyrus Erie circa that year. Pictured clockwise (from left) are Bob McBride, Marty Murphy, Eric Carmen, Michael McBride and Wally Bryson.

The second photo shows the Cyrus Erie band van—nothing like travelling from gig to gig in style, eh? This van was probably used to tote the band's equipment to their most notable performance: opening for The Who at Musicarnival in Cleveland on July 14, 1968.

The third photo shows the band on stage at that historic concert. Pictured are Marty Murphy (on guitar), Wally Bryson (also on guitar), Eric (on drums!), Bob McBride (on bass) and brother Michael McBride (in mid-leap on lead vocals.)

Bernie

• Like 1

AnniekNY   

OH....MY....GOD!!!! What a trip! Thanks, Bernie.

What's the story behind the band title "The Cyrus Erie"? (or am I just missing the word 'band' in small print?)

AnniekNY said:

What's the story behind the band title "The Cyrus Erie"?

I think we'll need Eric to weigh in on this crazy "THE" controversy!

I mean, everyone calls them "Cyrus Erie," yet it's clear from the van photo as well as the logo emblazoned on their bass drum at Musicarnival that the band was officially "THE Cyrus Erie." On the other hand, their Epic single says "Cyrus Erie." Not to mention, his more famous band was officially "Raspberries" yet everyone calls them "THE Raspberries."

:mellow:

MJ   

Just LOVE Wally's lovely mustache OMG ahahahah - and Eric's mop top ;) Great photos - many thanks Eric & Bernie for sharing them !

Anna R   

The clothes...the jewerly...the HAIR!

Eric, how on earth did you get your hair to do that? It looks freakin' perfect!!

Amazing pictures.

This is something to look so forward to on Mondays! Thanks Bernie...

Jay52   

The 1st is one beautiful high quality pic! Absolutely unbelievable! The Ford van captures the times perfectly.

Bernie, thanks for the look back!

Rock and roll is such a beautiful thing!

It's well-documented why Eric chose "Cyrus Erie" as his band's name (read "Marathon Man" for the story). The question is not with "Cyrus Erie" but with "The," as in "The Cyrus Erie."

Hmmm...

angelina   

I'm speechless (which is rare). Bernie....this new feature is just fantastic. Thank you!

The Ford Econoline van pic is just too good to be true. You could picture the boys schlepping their equipment, smoking cigs and blasting the AM radio. Too cool!

John

LC   

Bernie,

Kudos---my new favorite feature at EC.com! I love old photography, especially if the topic is something I care about. More early Raspberries stuff would be awesome. (Remember how hard it was to find pictures of the band back in the 1970s? Rolling Stone and Cream and Circus just weren't doing 'em justice!)

Your friend,

Larry

Kirk   

After exhaustive research it was determined that the "The" in Cyrus Erie fell off the van in front of Capitol Records, where an executive of Capitol picked it up and stuck it to Raspberries :lol: Nice pics, Bern!

darlene   

WOW!!!! Greap pix, Bernie! Talk about getting some treasures out of the archives of time!

Having taught in Illinois, near Peoria, I know that Bucyrus Erie was a company like Caterpillar that made heavy duty tractors and the like.

I don't remember the band having "The" in front of its name, but there it is, on the van.

What a cool offering! I LOVE IT!

:) --Darlene

Laura   

Boy, they must have worked forever on their hair. So shiny and neat. :lol:

Thanks for the picture. Talk about the way back machine!

Ok...the first pic looks like my brother Greg's friends who used to come over our house. However, Eric looks like my 17 year old nephew. I am now officially scared and desperately wiping that image from my mind. :D

marlene   

HOW FUN !! (I'll bet there are lots of memories and great stories that go along with that van) !

These are GREAT pictures ! :)

boopell   

Wendy--- :D:)

I know what you mean- some of the older pictures I've seen of Eric (including this one) look A LOT like my 16 year old son, Gabriel, with the exception of hair color (my son has light brown hair). Gabriel can even see it!

I first noticed it a few months ago in one of the pictures Eric has on MySpace.

boopell said:

I know what you mean- some of the older pictures I've seen of Eric (including this one) look A LOT like my 16 year old son, Gabriel, with the exception of hair color (my son has light brown hair). Gabriel can even see it!

I first noticed it a few months ago in one of the pictures Eric has on MySpace.

Yeah, thank goodness my nephew has dirty blonde hair - I'm not so confused right now! :lol: