Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Sounds Of Silence

GOOD GRIEF!!!! I'd just as soon not be reminded of my "awkward teen years."

"Someday, when I'm cool..." smile

Eric,

You're understandably too close to it to realize that those photos of you in your "early days" are, indeed, cool. In fact, your early pics remind me of some of the teenage photos of a certain John, Paul and George when they were picking up their instruments for the first time. But, I promise to dig up a few choice "more rocking" images for "Photo of the Week" over the next several months—just for you!

I was 15 1/2, maybe 16 years old. Marty Murphy, Bob Montague, and Lee McManus were a year older. Bob Schepens ( the tall blond guy ) was a year younger, I think. That photo must have been taken in 1965-1966. I think I weighed about 110 pounds back then.

The band started in the Brush High School homeroom of Murphy, Montague and McManus ( Homerooms were decided by the first letter of your last name, I was in with all the "C" kids). I think they kind of drew straws to see who would play what. I met Marty in the local guitar store, where we both were drooling over the latest Guild Starfire. We plugged our guitars into one channel of our amp, and our mic into the other channel. I seem to recall my little Ampeg amp catching fire one night on stage.

Those were sure innocent times. It's hard to believe it was 43 years ago! We sure had fun back then. When I think back on the things we did, it almost seems like "American Graffitti", a totally different world.

e

angelina   

I have to, with all humility, disagree with ec about his "awkward teen years". As USUAL....EC is dressed EXTREMELY well. Do you ever see EC not dressed well?

I especially like the french cuffs and cuff links...very cool.

BTW at age 15, I was so skinny I had to run around in the shower just to get wet. spin

Great Beatle shots as well Bernie. What an awesome feature!

John

Quote:
Originally posted by marvin:

...and you changed the picture on the home page also!

I aim to please! laugh
And you do a mighty fine job, Bernie...MIGHTY fine. I noticed it too.

Gaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...I love that photo, it's, oooohhhh, just...ohhhh, sooooo....yummy. Like, Willie Wonka - Scrumdilicious candy bar yummy. Soooo happy you placed it on the main page!

Later...

Wendy (who's off to drink her third cup of bouncing off the wall, Starbuck's bold blend - who knows what she'll say next - coffee.)

Hmmm, coffee, don't tempt me Wendy! It's been 24 hours since I've had a cup. eye

John I was skinny too, real skinny, but now that I'm 46 and still "skinny" I don't think it was such a bad thing afterall.

Raspbernie - The photo you chose gives the band a fresh, modern look. Old photos are great, don't get me wrong, but there's something about this one that you picked that fits the website and the forum. Good selection. smile P.S. A little bit more envy went in when I saw the young Paul, John, and George.

Hmmm, coffee, don't tempt me Wendy! It's been 24 hours since I've had a cup. eye

Well then Miss Daisy...I'll have to make you a cup of mine. It will have you doing things that are considered jailable offenses in most every country in the world...including Sweden. That's right! I make some gooooood coffee! eek

boopell   

The picture on the home page has always been one of my favorites--I love those smiles!

And Eric and John have eased my mind--my 16 and 14 year old sons both weigh 110 lbs at 5'8". I've been trying to fatten them up a little, but nothing works. You guys turned out fine so I'll just let them grow the way nature obviously intended--much to their relief! :p

Anna R   

You know Kim,, my son is 15, 5'10" and is as skinny as a rail too! He won't even tell me how much he weighs.

No matter how much he eats- he does not gain weight. Poor kid- always is weighing himself hoping to get heavier!

angelina   

Boopell...at age 15 I was 5'11" and probably weighed about 130lbs. I could run forever but could barely do 3 pushups. Your boys are doing just fine and will really start getting strong around age 17 or 18. DON'T have them take weight-gain shakes or creatine. The dense weight will come...especially if they're active. They'll also be gaining muscle rather than fat.

John

Boopell,

I was a skinny kid and a fat teenager. Until this day, I struggle to keep my weight down. My diet is usually salad, tuna, nuts and fruit. I do 120 sit ups a day and walk for exercise. Once in a while I treat myself to Lays and coca cola, my addiction! I learned to eat very little while modeling, to keep me thin for my agency. At 5'9" and 122 lbs., I was still too heavy for them. Go figure. They wanted me on diet pills and while I was at it, reduce that bust! I mean, after all, I wasn't suppose to be a woman, I was a hanger! Luckily, I never was much of an eater, but also I was lucky to realize the damage it could do to my body by not eating. I refused to starve and I'd be damned if I surgically altered my body for them to profit off of.

If your kids are skinny, so be it. Good for them...YEAH! I envy them...like my niece, they probably eat anything they want. THAT is super! Please, don't worry. It's easier to gain weight then lose it. Naturally skinny is just fine!

Bernie how do you do it?? Come on what's your secret?? How do you know always when all of us need to smile the most and you always oblige with making us do 'kool-aid ear 2 ear happy smiles!!'

I really love that picture, it's so easy for me to see one of Valorie's boys 'Adam' in that band...Also the new homepage picture is 'da bomb'!

Thanks so much Mr. Rainbow Bringin' Man Bernie! happyLuvLove

K... I am with Eric on this one...file picture away....I know you have way cooler one's Bernie...like EC...some teen memories are just best left in the past...if it helps Eric...I don't even take a good pic today....

As I too am a Brush High graduate, I remember "The Sounds of Silence" playing at the after football game dance in the girls gym and even in the cafeteria for some odd reason. I remember after every home football game they had a dance from 10:00 until 11:30 where a local band would play a couple of sets. I remember not only seeing SOS but the Choir and a band that featured Road Manager Rusty Pitrone playing sax and lead singing. In those days I was just starting to get into the roadie thing (no musical ability but wanted to be part of the band). At the same time I was on the swim team and became very good friends with Bob Montague. Bob was an OK bass player but excelled in sports including football and swimming. The music scene in Cleveland was already booming and Brush was the home of a couple of top Cleveland bands including the Cellmates and others. There were a couple of local hangouts to hear live music for high school kids before the Hullabaloo's such as the Inspot at the Eastgate Coliseum.

In the late 60's and 70's Cleveland and the surrounding areas (Kent, Akron,etc) provided a mecca of musicians and clubs to showcase live music. So many acts broke out in Cleveland. That's why its known as the home of rock & roll. Plus at that time Ohio had low beer (3.7 max alcohol)which you could drink if you were 18 which made the clubs prosper.

In addition if you were a good band you could play live 4 nights a week but you had to be very good. I am not sure but I would be willing to bet there were at least 20 active clubs with live music at least 4 nights a week. I remember one place in Akron that was so large three bands could play at the same time. Those were the days.

one of my fave places was a dive called "the flying machine" witha purple helicopter on top!! saw alot of good bands there..asked my future wife out there too..to be young again!! lol,chris