Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

"Fresh" Photo Session

fresh_contacts-01.jpg

fresh_contacts-02.jpg

This week we take a look at some RARE outtakes from Capitol Records for the front and back cover artwork for Raspberries second album, Fresh.

"The white suits was something that Eric and I started in the beginning," explained Jim Bonfanti in Eric Carmen: Marathon Man. "A place in Cleveland made the suits, a regular suit tailor.

"I didn't have any problem with it. That was what we were about. We talked about wearing suits and that's the kind of band we were. I can't say that I hated them. I didn't care for the shoes we had to wear, though.

"I don't think our teenybopper image came from our suits. I think it was the way that we were promoted, the way we were marketed. Not because we wore suits. I don't think that Capitol promoted our albums enough. Singles whet the appetite, but unless someone goes out and buys the album to hear what the rest of the band is about, you don't get the complete picture.

"At that time, if you were considered a lightweight band you were played on AM radio. That was okay, but we really thought there should have been more promotion on our albums so people could hear the other side of the band. But I don't think it was the fact that we wore suits."

Bernie

• Like 1

What a bunch of kids. I always thoughts the matching suits were cool. I remember a band called the Beatles, when they were cranking out great song after great song, wore matching suits . Another band called the Hollies did it too. Hmmm, that's three of the greatest bands ever.

angelina   

Steve...you beat me to the punch. Might've been the Capitol Records mindset with the suits....a la the Beatles. Heck..now I know how the boys hit the high notes back then....you see what tight pants can do to the vocal chords. :blink:

Great stuff Bernie.....thanks.

John

Great pictures!

They used two other photos from this session for the Raspberries Capitol Collectors Series cd that came out in 1991 - The somber looking picture on the cover, and another one in the booklet. I thought the matching suits were pretty cool. :cool:

I think most bands back then tried this at one time or another - Even Black Sabbath wore matching outfits for a brief time.

It certainly worked for The Beatles and our beloved Raspberries! :)

Tim

Duh---- sorry. They looked black to me in photos I've seen. Black and white photos maybe? I wasn't around when the Beatles were big.

Thanks Hollies for setting me straight.

HT

ECatw   

Another great job on the pictures! I love the casual,fun behind the scenes look. What a bunch of handsome looking men!! :wub:

Big,Big Sigh!

LC   

Good stuff again, Bernie. That was a great time to be a 'berry (and 'berry fan), wasn't it? The boys had to feel pretty high at that point, coming off that huge hit record "Go All the Way" and having another couple of can't-miss hits in the can (referring to "I Wanna Be With You" and "Let's Pretend").... Ah, glory days....

PS: Fresh is my favorite Raspberries studio album on most days (any of the other three can slip in and out of that spot, depending on whether they get into my head). I remember one critic writing that Fresh wasn't a "Sgt. Pepper" for Raspberries, but it was at least a "Rubber Soul." In hindsight, that's even better, in my book!

MAM   

The white suits are cool ... but ya should have seen them in the Raspberry colored suits ... that was REALLY cool!

Hubba hubba !

Nothing quite like handsome men in suits....very nice. :D

Is Eric's jacket different ?

It doesn't look as boxy, the lapel looks different as well as the slant of the pockets.

What do you think ?

Anna R   

They were one HANDSOME group of fellas!

Those smiles! I know I always go on about just EC, but I have to admit all of them were gorgeous! ( Eric though, still has my :heartpump: )

Thanks, Bernie!

Dear Lord,

Thank You for men! I adore them! Esp. in white suits...esp. the one to the left, you know Lord, with ALL the hair. Hey, I call it like it is!

Oh and thank You for Bernie :wub: as he is the one who puts these photos up. I'll make sure he gets something extra special along with his Snapple Diet Raspberry Ice Tea, when I see him in Los Angeles! WORD!

GMan   

Those shots are really cool.....and I always said that they remind me of my cousins from Jersey City on their way to an audition for The Godfather. lmao

Though I would rather have seen the boys in popular at the time "Playboy Bunny" outfits, Who the F--- cares as long as the SONGS are good!

Women fans...Sheeez! They ruin Rock & Roll!

But they are neccessary, so the straight guys in the band have someone to go home with after the gig... :P;)

Ok, a few of the really hot ones who like to play head games might be inspirations to some cool songs but,...Come on!

When I look back at some of the outfits and hair styles they guys wore to be "musician cool" and impress the girls, I have to laugh out loud, probably as much as their kids do...

Laura   

I love the pictures. Bernie, why do two of the pictures have red stars on them-do you know?

Thanks for the pictures. Man, they look cool in that picture! :wub: