Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

At the Radio Station

wmms-04.jpg

This week we feature a set of unpublished photos (courtesy of Larry Canale) taken when Eric visited Cleveland's WMMS-FM in 1973 to promote Side 3. Eric's lifelong friend and deejay David Spero (seen with Eric in the top-right photo above) was behind the microphone.

"We felt the constant description of Raspberries as a 'singles group' was misleading," Eric told Spero. "We have three completely different writers in the band, do all original material and feel we are definitely an album group. We are extremely grateful over the success of our first two albums, but we don't think either one captured our true sound. The new album is what we're all about. The studio won the first two battles, but Raspberries came out on top on Side 3."

Bernie

Once again Bernie, you are da 'Man'!! These are wonderful rare photos showing Eric's obvious pride for the new record! He is *smiling* and that to me is undeniable happiness and contentment. I am sure it didn't hurt either that he was sharing this moment with a *true* friend doing the interview! I do hope this is one of those moments in time that he can look back with only fond memories. I also think it speaks alot to Eric's level of 'class' when he makes sure to state that it is always a 'group effort with 3 writers within the Raspberries'...not just a one dimensional frontman...he conveys there is substance and depth to the band and they are finally able to express it clearly on this particular record. It must have been so hard trying to develop and express your ideas/identity in one direction when record execs want to take you in a totally different one! Way to go "Raspberries"...that's why you have never ever disappointed your loyal fans! Thanks so much again Bernie for taking/making the time and effort ...it is as ALWAYS deeply appreciated!

*Vera* :wub:

have shiny shirt, will travel! cool pics, & cool recollections of EC's quotes alluding to what they were up against back in those days of transitional radio (AM to FM) & studio production

if you think about it, few artists crossed over from AM to FM. however, the Raspberries' natural sound evolved to the point where it should have readily done so (even as they stayed true to their roots), but it's been well-documented how these cards were stacked & didn't necessarily play out for them

of course, not all matters are settled in the mainstream court of public opinion - vindication has been long & sweet along the way, starting in the form of Rolling Stone recognizing 'Starting Over' back then, up thru the current day status of their universal respect & acknowledgment of seminal influence by artists & fans far & wide

it's kind of interesting - Eric crossed over into monster hit territory as a solo artist, but influence-wise, i think it comes down to the Raspberries' material (w/ Eric writing to their strengths) carrying the heavier weight, sales figures aside

MJ   

AnnieNY I was thinking the EXACT same thing - OMG look at all the vinyl - I'd love to have that many in my collection! The photos are nice as well.

Anna R   

VINYL? Thanks for pointing that out...I would not have noticed otherwise. I did of course notice the shiny shirt, but that was only because it was draped over that beautiful man...

Anna R said:

VINYL? Thanks for pointing that out...I would not have noticed otherwise. I did of course notice the shiny shirt, but that was only because it was draped over that beautiful man...

Ahhh... you said it Anna!

BTW, Bernie fabulous photos once again!!!!

HT

Austinberries... I agree with you so much... Eric wrote to their strengths... and got so much out of his fellow members... that, more than anything else, might be why he was blessed/cursed with being the guy who got all the singles...

Great pics once again Bernie... You have got to have the greatest collection of all time! :lol:

pauliemississippi said:

Great pics once again Bernie... You have got to have the greatest collection of all time!

Therein lies the beauty of this feature. Now I get to share these great photos with all of you :)

elle4ec   

As a music lover, I've always loved "black, shiny vinyl", but thanks to you Bernie, these photos of the week bring a whole new meaning to the word! I'm in paradise surrounded by all the vinyl in the background, not to mention the main attraction...Eric all shined up like a new 45...Oh,what I wouldn't give to be able to put that single on my turntable and "give it a spin"! I'd never get tired of playing that one "over and over again"! Thanks Bernie, for keeping my fantasy life alive and well!!!

Only one Question Bernie....Why were these photos not sent to my hospital room so my heart would be faster and things would start working better....just kidding...really nice pics of Eric, thanks for posting them "Super Bernie"

LC   

Just to shed a little more light on this quartet of photos: They're all from a contact sheet I got as part of a nice lot of Eric-related photos and CDs last year. The whole lot came from David Spero's collection, which he had consigned to an auction house.

The "stars" of the lot were actually a few Eric autographs; there were also some new photos of the reunited Raspberries. But the thing I enjoyed most was this old contact sheet with 21 images on it. Sadly, there were no negatives or prints --- just the contact sheet. Even so, it was good enough quality that I could scan it and send the highlights to Bernie. It was the least I could do, after all the great photos Bernie has shared in this cool feature, which has become my Monday morning go-to page (sorry, fantasy baseball team!).

Like a lot of you, the vinyl in the background caught my attention. If you ever hung out in a radio station (as I did in college and right after graduating), you couldn't help but love those LP archives. I was never a DJ, but I had friends who would bring me in, and I'd find myself salivating over the racks and racks and racks of vinyl, always "sniffing" around for 'berries and EC albums.

I love the quote Bernie dug up to accompany these images. I think Fresh might still be my favorite by a hair over Starting Over, Side 3, and Raspberries, but... there's no question that Side 3 found Raspberries really hitting their stride as a band --- album, singles, or otherwise. Eric had every right to be smiling at that point!

Now I can't get the opening riff from "Tonight" out of my head. Time to go cue it up.....

elle4ec   

Oh! I'm sorry I didn't thank you also, Larry! So...It's really you who is responsible this week for keeping "my fantasy life alive and well"!!!

KToad   

Hello All,

As the Forum Home Page states, I am the newest member of your community. My name is Kelley and I'm a 44 yr. old female in Delaware who's been lurking here for a while before asking to join.

I've really been enjoying the rare Photo of the Week series - and it's true the LP collection in the background of this week's offering caught my eye right away as well.

But throughout the series I've also been thinking about how wild that must be as an individual (in this case, Eric) to get these new "Blasts From the Past" thrown out all the time. Seriously, how often do you go back and look at pictures of yourself from the 60's & 70's?

I know that when I look at my old photos, I don't look at myself so much. I look and say, "WOW! Look how young Aunt Peggy was!," or "Gee... My parents always seemed so mature and omnipotent to me but now I see that they were just kids."

I have an 18 yr. old son now myself and - BOY HOWDY - Doesn't he think HE'S the cat's meow. Uh Huh. Get over it pal.

But it must be strange for a celebrity like Eric that we all care so much and we really, really look forward to and enjoy these photos. For most of us, only our own mothers care.

While I'm introducing myself, however, I'll sign off with this note:

It's a rare thing when one has the power to positively impact another's life - most especially when it's a stranger. Artists have the medium whereby they can enrich people's lives without even knowing it (or them), and Eric has enriched mine. I sought to join this board so I could thank him for that. Isn't modern technology great that way?

If you read this at any point Eric, I just want to say Thank You. Thanks for delivering your brand of entertainment which has made my life happier and fuller.

Don't get a big head now (LOL!), you're not the only one. I would also extend my most heartfelt thanks to Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Elton John, Jimmy Webb, and a longer list you don't need me to bother you with.

I just mean to say that the music has always been something that I've enjoyed immesely and that I feel has enriched my life. And I thank God that he gave "us" Eric Carmen.

That's it.

Kelley

Ok...Bernie...you're bad. You tease. It's not nice.

All I can say this week is:

Put some whipped cream on that Raspberry, 'cause these pics are the dessert to complete the buffet of photos!

Keep 'em coming. I'm always hungry! :P

Wendy