Raspbernie

Rock Super Session

ec-japan82-01.jpg

ec-japan82-02.jpg

In 1982, a "Rock Super Group" played to packed arenas in Japan.

"The way this tour came about," explains drummer Carmine Appice, "is that I got a call from the promoters who wanted to know if I wanted to tour Japan. I told them, 'Sure,' and they told me to put a band together. I was already working with Tom Petersson, so I asked him and he said yes.

"The promoters originally wanted me to use a Japanese guitarist, but I felt that it would be hard to rehearse that way, so I suggested that we take an American guitarist. I knew that Rick Derringer had never been to Japan, so I asked Rick and he agreed. Duane Hitchings was my musical director, so he had to come. Duane and I played on Eric's Tonight You're Mine album, so I called Eric and asked him if he wanted to join us and he said yes.

"We had a good relationship on tour—we were all good friends. The idea for Rock Super Session was that audiences could see everybody all together in one show. We each performed a few of our own songs, so it was like seeing five different shows in one night."

—From Eric Carmen: Marathon Man

- - - -

Top Photo: Tom Petersson, Eric, Carmine Appice, Rick Derringer and Duane Hitchings.
Bottom Photo: Tom Petersson, Rick Derringer and Eric.

• Like 2

Kirk   

Man, this was the looooongest Monday in history! Now I can finally go to bed laugh Nice pics, Bernie- thanks!

GMan   

That must have been a great show. Rick Derringer is a GREAT guitarist! I've seen him many times with Edgar and Johnny Winter. I wish I could've seen that show!

Muzza   

Aha.. a new song title, "Wendy, sighing in the Wind". :rolleyes:insane

And I reckon 1980's sunglasses have made a return from what I see in the shops these days. wink

Muzza cool

P.S.: Some wicked lead guitar playing on that live tune! Who else misses an old fashioned lead break? Seems every band had a player who could wail like that in those days, and Derringer, well...what can you say? The riffing speaks for itself. Sigh.

JohnO   

Rick's always been a serious player, even back in his McCoys days....let alone his couple of years in Johnny Winter And, trading leads and licks with the albino one! I'm guessing he wasn't as heavily into the ink/tattoos back in the early 80's, though....he's pretty heavily tatt'd nowadays, and looks like a biker from Hell!

Saw Rick Sun. night when he opened for Badfinger...A throwback to the 70's with all the solo's (guitar, bass, drums)...Dosent look as feminine as the early days...That's for sure...