Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

Raspberries Trading Cards

raspberries_cards-01.jpg

These two cards come from a RARE set of Raspberries trading cards issued with the special edition of Raspberries: TONIGHT! If you're one of the lucky owners of the limited edition book...Yay! Everyone else may continue to drool.

:P

Bernie

• Like 2

Kirk   

Seeing these again gave me an idea- I think I'll frame mine and hang them next to "the guitar". Thanks, Bernie!

Trindy   

Hmm...I don't recall getting those with MY copy of the Special Edition...how did I miss them?? (To think I have Eric's G-string, but I don't have these??)

LC   

Who remembers these 'berries cards? Well-designed, Bernie.

As someone who has been an editor and longtime writer in the area of baseball, football, and other types of cards and collectibles, I got a kick out of them. 

In fact, I wonder why music cards never got anywhere near the level of sports cards. It's such a great topic... there are new releases every year that would provide great fodder for themes and for text on the back. And fans of music are as passionate as sports fans. And the visuals would be great.

We used to talk about that at our office when I was editing in the collectibles field. We did publish an entertainment card magazine, but it was much smaller than our sports card mag. And the focus was split between then-new comic book characters featured in card sets (Batman, Superman, and the like) and vintage cards, from tobacco issues to those great 1960s and '70s sets featuring everything from monsters to cars to TV shows. And, yes, we did cover the music cards out there, too.

Don't forget: In the 1950s, there were Elvis cards put out by Topps, and multiples sets of Beatles cards in the 1960s—I remember those well. Monkees cards, too, were popular when I was a kid. And I remember Partridge Family cards in the 1970s. And Topps put out some Elvis cards in the 1970s, too—I think right after he died.

And all kinds of other oddball sets have come out. Cyndi Lauper cards in the 1980s. Pro Set 's "Super Stars of Music" cards in the 1990s. Country music cards in the 1990s. All-new and well designed sets of Elvis cards and Beatles cards in the the 1990s. 

But overall, music cards have never quite caught on, even though they're pretty interesting and kind of fun. Bernie's cards added to the fun.

beatles-cards-paul-ringo-sm.jpg

beatles-john-george-sm.jpg

Kirk   

LC, I have a bunch of cards from the 50's, 60's, and a few 70's.  Every kind you can imagine.  My favorite was my complete Mars Attacks set that the druggie neighborhood kid stole a few years back.

Kirk   

It was Halloween night in '62 and when we were done canvassing the neighborhood I dumped out my pillow case and along with the candy there were 2 Mars Attacks cards.  I was hooked just from looking at those two cards and spent every dime of my allowance at the local drug store buying the packs out of a vending machine- 5 cards and a stick of bubblegum.  Took awhile to get all the cards, but it was pretty exciting for a 9 year old!