Sign in to follow this  
marvin

Eric = Paul/Wally = Lennon?

darlene   

Good one, Kirk.

Daisy, I discovered Raspberries very early on and went to as many shows as I could get to. It only took a few seconds of the first live show to be amazed, absolutely transfixed, by the band. The chemistry (not to mention, the MUSIC!) was mindboggling and what I saw right away (to get back to Marvin's original post of Eric/Paul and Wally/John) was the mindreading act between Eric and Wally. They truly read each other's minds. The chemistry was unbelievable and I figured out right on the spot that they were musical soulmates--two sides of a musical coin. They were like the same person on stage together.

That's why while Eric and Scott have quite a sympatico thing going musically, Eric and Wally are so much closer. And it's not a conscious thing at all. It's absolutely intrinsic--natural--it just *is*. No other way to explain it. From day 1 I just saw it. And it's still unmistakeably there. Ain't nothin' gonna change it either. That's why I feel that they just have to write some new stuff together.

:) --Darlene

From a songwriting point of view, Carmen-McCall may be a better Macca-Lennon analogy than Carmen-Bryson. Very interactive such as their collobration on Play On. Ironically they both can do a mean Lennon vocal.

Overall, I think perhaps Wally adds the edge more in the performance/recording of a song rather than the composition.

Think of all those great Raspberries intro's, EC writes the chords, but Wally brings them to life.

Songwriting is part gift, talent, and work ethic. Few are in Eric's league. He can knock out songs like Let's Pretend and I Want to be With You in one weekend holed up in his apartment all alone drinking diet cokes.

EC has more good songs in his unrealeased library than most have in their all time.

Many of EC's songs would benefit from Wally's guitar or even Jim's drums (Winter Dreams)but the compositions speak for themselves.

darlene   

I totally agree with you Steve. Eric has an incomparable gift for songwriting and expression of all kinds. His unreleaseds are AMAZING. I never the depth and breadth of his unreleased gems knew until someone sent me just about all of them. When I listen to them I just marvel at what he's wrought.

He takes melody to places others don't even envision. His harmonies and chords are world class. His modulations are the kind you just hear and say "WOW!" "Y E A H !!!!"

He should be writing now.

:) --Darlene