Sign in to follow this  
marvin

Eric = Paul/Wally = Lennon?

pauliemississippi said:

and it seemed that whenever the band would finish up a tour, Dave and Wally both spent more time with partying and women while EC stayed holed up writing... so he'd bring 10 or 12 or 15 songs to the table while Dave and Wally might have 2 or 3 each... it was no wonder that Eric got most of the tracks...

Yes and that's what I've read, that songwriters often write quite a number of songs before good ones come along and make them wealthy. A good example of this is Rob Thomas. He wrote many songs before "Smooth" became a hit. Actually he co-wrote Smooth, probably with Santana himself, with those fab guitar riffs and all.

Common knowledge to those maybe who are in the business, but I am not in it. I darn well should have been. My father was in it all his life. Began at 19 yrs old at Hanna Barbara and was eventually on the Academy. I could go on with this but I think I'll stop here otherwise Gman might get his dagger out and hack me with it. Suffice it to say that I'm still very upset at not being a musician. I'll leave it at that unless you want to hear more.

Common knowledge - makes me think that every time a CD comes out various musicians discuss the money the songwriter made on it.

Whoops, forgot to say that my father was also Supervising Sound Editor.

marvin   

Daisy in case you didn't know, Harry Casey is "KC."

"ABM" was written during the last days of the 2nd version of the berries. Eric had intended it for a Raspberries release, but the band's days were numbered by then.

The list of artists with one big hit who are struggling is long.They don't print that in Business section...which yes I read. There is no musical finanacial section though. Where was your father a sound supervisor at? What did he do at H&B? I have a friend Andrew, who is a historian on the animation studio's.

GMan   

Now why would I want to do something like that Daisy?? Remember what 2 other great songwriters said..."and in the end...the love you take...is equal to the love.....you make." wink

GMan   
marvin said:

Stick around Daisy and you're likely to learn a lot about music. There are some incredibly music-knowledgeable people here.

Marvin is quite right!

Soundstorm was a recording studio. I know it was, because I went in there several times to have lunch with him. I remember I always had to be extra quiet when I went in there, or to whisper whisper whisper while there. I thought it was the neatest thing in the world to be in a recording studio, I really did. I wasted my life doing what I did instead of recording and writing! :angry:

He was Supervising Sound Editor at Soundstorm. I guess I should make it clear that he did sound for films, not musicians. Sorry if I mislead you.

They may have done animation, I just don't know all that they encompass, and I don't remember all the titles of all the films my father worked on. I know for sure that his early career began with animation at Hanna Barbara, as a film editor.

My father composed music but that was mainly as a hobby at home, although one person in the entertainment business asked him to write a song for his wife to give to her at Christmas. I still have that song on cassette.

GMan said:

Now why would I want to do something like that Daisy?? Remember what 2 other great songwriters said..."and in the end...the love you take...is equal to the love.....you make." ;)

Is that a direct hit, my friend?

MJ   

On a totally unrelated note.... My brother's friend Speedy (not his real name) worked for Spielberg for years in animation - his real name was Tommy Rugger - he got an Emmy for the Tiny Toons cartoons a few years back.

That's all I can contribute as to Animation and Sound lol...

marvin   
Daisy McLintock said:

Another question just popped up in my mind:

So Eric never intended a solo career. He was kind of ushered into it, then?

Daisy I'mg guessing you jumped on the 'berries / Carmen bandwagon later than most of us, so here's Raspberries 101 for you:

1. Band forms in Cleveland in early 1970's with this lineup for their first album: Eric Carmen lead singer, rhythm guitar (bass on 1st album); Wally Bryson, lead guitar; Dave Smalley, bass guitar (rhythm guitar on 1st album); Jim Bonfanti, drums

2. A/M lineup records three albums, "Raspberies", "Fresh", and "Side 3" to mixed success.

3. 1973-1974, exit Smalley and Bonfanti, enter Scott McCarl, bass, and Mike McBride, drums.

4 2nd version of 'berries records "Starting Over." Due to a variety of reasons (lack of sales, promotion, and general laissez-faire, etc.), band breaks up in 1974. By this time Eric had already started contemplating a solo career.

5. Carmen's solo recordings are filled with many great songs, but much like the Raspberries career, many people just don't get 'it.'

6. Band reforms in 2004, and continues to tour sporadically with shows right up to 2007.

Kirk   

I think the closest thing we have to a studio exec would be Raspberries/Eric Carmen antagonist Marc Nathan. He thinks we're all delusional spin