Sign in to follow this  
MJ

The Cleveland Show

What Raspberries show was there in Cleveland, in 2005? :) For some reason this means nothing to me...wow I was sure I knew everything (LOL)!

The last performance I can think of (not inc. the ones in '04, one of which was a New Year's Eve show of course!), before the show at the State, was maybe for Winterfest?? Hmmm.....

marvin   

They did an outdooor show at the Scene Pavillion on July 15, 2005. You can check the "Raspberries - Reunion" section of this website to see the Set List.

marvin said:

They did an outdooor show at the Scene Pavillion on July 15, 2005. You can check the "Raspberries - Reunion" section of this website to see the Set List.

Thanks for the info :) I had totally forgotten about the Scene Pavillion show...my Mother In Law had passed away, the day before. She had been ill for a very long time but was suddenly admitted to the hospital the day after her birthday (July 10) and passed away 4 days later.

Billy K.   

"woo" certainly fit the line....but the word was not commonly used then.....or now.....very "old fashioned" kind of word, from when the days that "dating" was called "courting"......

darlene   

Marv, Remember that Paul wrote about "silly love songs...What's wrong with that?..." He also recently said that the older one gets, one sees that there's *nothing* wrong with it.

Of course, he didn't write "silly" love songs, and neither is "On the Beach" silly. I don't think "I want to woo you out there on the beach" is silly at all. Heck, I'd consider it a compliment if someone wanted to woo me on the beach, especially if he wrote it in a song. :-)

:) --Darlene

darlene   

Nobody ever used the word "pompetus" before, (or since!) either, but remember "Some people call me Maurice--cause I speak of the 'pompetus' of love..." What the hell was THAT all about?!

:) --D

marvin   
darlene said:

Nobody ever used the word "pompetus" before, (or since!) either, but remember "Some people call me Maurice--cause I speak of the 'pompetus' of love..." What the hell was THAT all about?!

I have no idea what Steve Miller was trying to say in "The Joker."

The word "moot" is much used in my everyday vocabulary.Speaking of Steve Miller in 'Take the money and Run' we get this: "Billy Joe is a detective down in Texas,ya know he knows just exactly what the facts is". Ha.

MJ   

Speaking of Steve Miller - it doesn't matter what he was trying to say in The Joker - it's just a great song..... I loved that entire album. Now I have to find some You-Tube of him lol.

I also am one who likes unusual words in songs - but right now I can't think of any lol.

marvin   

Here's a few lines that still make me shake my head - not because they're odd, but because they're so AMAZING!

She keeps moet et chandon
In her pretty cabinet
Let them eat cake she says
Just like Marie Antoinette
A built-in remedy, for kruschev and kennedy
At anytime an invitation
You can't decline

Caviar and cigarettes
Well versed in etiquette
Extraordinarily nice

- "Killer Queen" by Queen

MJ   

Oh my Killer Queen - I loved that Entire ALBUM OMG - Death on Two Legs.... Lily of the Valley.... Now I'm Here - CLASSICS!!!!!!! I bought that album on the way up to see my brother at Dartmouth and I was in a record store in Boston when I bought that and Toys In the Attic - two of my best purchases for that year lol.

Freddie just had an incredible vocal range.

Kirk   

I *almost* bought that Queen album, but for the lack of "woo" in any lyric, I passed. For those that need more meaning in their songs, did you know that 'woo' spelled backwards is 'oow'? Hi Marv :lol: Kirk.

JohnO   

Re: pompitous or pompatus or pompetus from the Steve Miller song - It came from an earlier Miller song, "Enter Maurice"...and the lyrics from that song were allegedly borrowed from The Medallions' single "The Letter" (no relation to the Box Tops' hit)...whose author, one Vernon Green, claims the correct word was "puppetuse", which he made up! (I had always previously assumed it was something Miller had picked up in the early 60's when he was hanging around the blues bars on the south side of Chicago....Prior to moving to California, he had been in the Chicago-based Goldberg-Miller Blues Band with Barry Goldberg.)

GMan   

I agree with Steve. "Killer Queen" was definitely the best song they ever did(IMO) of course. I just love Freddy's voice and Brian May's guitar work is phoenomenal!! Brian is definitely an extremely underrated guitarist. His playing is just so melodic and forceful.

darlene   

Thanks for the background on "pompatuse," and now I have to find "Enter Maurice." I love the song, by the way. My stand partner in orchestra was named Maurice and I used to sing the song to him. He loved it.

:) --Darlene

Trindy   

There was also a 1996 movie called "The Pompatus of Love," starring Jon Cryer. I guess the plot consists of a bunch of guys trying to figure out what "pompatus of love" means and analyzing their relationships!

Wolfman Jack also makes reference to it in the Guess Who song "Clap for the Wolfman": "Everybody's talkin' 'bout the Wolfman's Pompatus of Love!" In that song, it always struck me as being kind of a synonym for "mojo": it was like a kind of magic the Wolfman had that made him a "chick magnet" to the point where if a guy went driving or parking with his girlfriend with the Wolfman on the car radio, she wouldn't pay any attention to her boyfriend--she'd be too busy grooving to the Wolfman!