Sign in to follow this  
frankenberrie

Dave Smalley has Clout!

So I'm at the Salvation Army checking out the stacks of LPs, and this one caught my eye, Clout. They are an all girl band from Germany, I believe. The thing that made me buy the LP was the song they covered, Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak. Checked, and yeah, it's Dave's song. Check it out.

The title is "6 of the best" 1980 CBS/epic. Why, I don't know, there are 10 songs & only 4 band members! I could & will record it onto a CD with my cd recorder later today, not sure how to make an MP3 though. The girls are attired in schoolgirl outfits on the cover, one eating a banana, one sucking a lollypop;) That's Rock & Roll!

I guess they are 6 as there are 2 dudes on the back cover, and they correspond with the pic shown. South Africa, huh? Substitute is on the LP too, and Oowatanite, maybe this is a comp of their best for the US market? some funny quotes from that link "none of the members of Clout had actually played instruments on the single ('Substitute') and their places were secretly taken by an all male session band (Circus), helped lead to the "downfall of the group"." Sounds like they got the same industry screwjob as most every other band in history:)

Jeff   

Clout was a great group - I had several of their albums ... their "semi" hit "Substitute" (not the Who song) was one of their worst songs .....

I also got a Chris Rea LP there the other day, but not all that impressed. These must have come from a reviewer or DJ, they got in about 300 power pop punky rock type and jazz LPs this week, and have been leaking them out a few dozen a day. I'll be there tomorrow again searching for anything new.

There's also a large asst of Jewish related LPs:) Best thing I've found is the original of Radio Pulsebeat news from the Beatles 64 tour, I believe it's the original because the bootlegs always referenced the beatles & had press clippings on the cover, this one is unmarked. Also got a copy of Zappa's Mothermania and some other oddball stuff, so far bought about 40, and theres others I'm trying to figure out if I'll like. For 69 cents I'll buy a bunch & recycle them if I hate them.

mr jason   

Well, I have the 7" single of Substitute, and I think it's great. So if that's one of their worst songs, then I'd love to hear their LPs!

That song was covered by Gloria Gaynor, and it was originally the A-side to the "I Will Survive" single. The single was only flipped cos the b-side (I Will Survive) was getting so much play in the clubs.

LC   

Speaking of Dave Smalley, it was a big thrill to meet him during the Meet & Greet on Saturday at the Highline in NYC. Dave is as friendly and easygoing as I somehow guessed he might be, based on his music. And it was nice to be able to tell him how much I dig his solo album, Internal Monologue,

It was probably a year or so ago that I bought that CD (via RaspberriesOnline.com) and I listen to it often. If you haven't picked it up, treat yourself... you'll find lots of great melodies, very personal lyrics, and the type of country-ish rock you'd expect from the guy who wrote "Should I Wait." Best of all, Internal Monologue has a certain "purity" that's hard to describe. The songs just sound honest --- right from the heart. My favorite track: "They Grow Up." That one is the perfect summation of how fast our kids seem to grow up and, really, how fleeting time is.... ("By the time you figure it out, the moment has passed..."). Great stuff....

I didn't get to Sunday night's show, but Dave was "on" on Saturday night.... Hearing him do "Should I Wait" and "It's Cold Outside" was a kick --- way to go, Dave!

--Larry

MJ   

Dave is such a great guy - I just love him - and he clearly loves the fans. Kim was extremely friendly as well - in fact everyone was very chatty and didn't seem like they were bothered with any kinds of questions we asked them. I've never encountered such a friendly, warm band before - most bands are so stuck on themselves and their "star" status they can't be bothered with the people who actually put them on that pedastal lol.