Sign in to follow this  
bahoodore

If You Change Your Mind: What A Composition!

....woke up early and spent abput half an hour playing this awesome tune...using the guitar tabs here on the EC-site (thanks Bernie, and Andrew Rogers r.i.p....he was the best charter on the net!

Anyway....IT is soooooo well structured....I never actually tried to learn it....just kinda messed with it instinctively.....but this TAB is so right!

Eric again shows off his ability to weave from one chord to the next....though you musicians might feel that he uses a few stadard patterns here....its like "Warmth of the Sun".....the chords dance around unexpectedly, sounding very pleasant to the ear, but very difficult to anticipate as a musician...no wonder few people have covered some of these exceptionally brilliant tunes....The screaming at the end is SOOOOOOOOO high!!!! I tried it, and I really have to go full voice, full power, and lots of control...

Great stuff Eric....even after 30 yrs of listening to this stuff, I am now appreciating the clever and imaginative construction of Eric's music...

Bahoo

Reid C.   

Yeah, Bahoo, I can do it too, but what a stretch it is these days. :wacko: Used to be a easier (not that it ever was easy) a few years ago. Time marches on, but the Master seems to still handle it quite well. Without doubt one of the Raspberries best.

Reid

Quick question...

Even though I do not read music, I love looking at charts. It's like watching a house being built.

So are these charts the actual way the song was written. I mean, if someone followed these charts as is and played the song, would it sound like the actual song...no deviating from it?

Reason being is, I saw the chart to Let's Pretend and I thought it would look awesome on a t-shirt. I love that song and figured it would be something "different." A fun conversation piece.

Thanks!

Wendy

"Charts" are mostly lead sheets: melody and chords. The modern equivalent to sitting with your turntable for hours trying to pick out exactly what notes and chords are being played on songs is called TAB, which is basically the hard work that someone else put in so you don't have to—kind of a "Cliff Notes" for guitar players ;)

Wendy....what Bernie said.....the TABS here on this site are just giving a name to the guitar chords that accompany the melody....what is cool about the TABS by Andrew Rogers is that they are accurate....most people play a song on guitar and will often play incorrect chords....its like when you don't have an ingredient for baking and use a substitute...it kind of odes the job, but it6 ain't as tastey....or playing pool with a crappy cue...or wearing white socks with a suit....

The written charts in NOTE FORM....like an orchestra member would use....like the sheet music you have....usually is written out by a professional musician who interprets what he hears from a recording and combines the melody with the accompanying chords...so some of the sheet music is inaccurate because the musician who wrote the chart has a bad ear....or he/she refuses to write down musical structures, created by the composer, that do not follow traditional music rules....an excellent example of that are Beatles sheet music....often very poorly charted on sheet music...John LEnnon wrote form his heart, not from a musical rule attitude...

Eric sheet music may be a little truer on sheet music since he is very adept at musical mathematics and rules...he may have also charted the music at some point and handed over his chart to the publishing house...

I read music really really slowly...I only started understanding charts when I started singing barbershop...I was forced to use written arrangements...

Confused yet????

bahoo

Actually, I've never charted any of 'em. I've seen a few of them and it's kind of hit and miss. Sometimes they're pretty good, and sometimes they're not even close. I use a lot of pretty sophisticated chording and inversions when I write. They may get the actual chord right, but rarely do they get the proper inversion, which is where most of the "magic" is.

It's how you voice the chord that makes all the difference.

my friend is a genius on guitar and music in general,and he's teaching a raspberries fan..he liked this song about the best so far!!! and he is very picky..he's taught many raspberries songs to him so far..tonight,last dance,go all the way,all thru the night,cruisin music,brads fave still is "nobody knows"..."if you change your mind" a very close second..and this is coming from a guy who barely knew raspberries music!! new fan on the horizon..of course i've been tellin' him about them for years!! lol,chris

yeah...inversions....thats what i learned in barbershop...and that is EXACTLY what Wally is so clever in doing on guitar as well...magic...thanks for the input Eric!

bahoo

Eric Carmen said:

Actually, I've never charted any of 'em. I've seen a few of them and it's kind of hit and miss. Sometimes they're pretty good, and sometimes they're not even close. I use a lot of pretty sophisticated chording and inversions when I write. They may get the actual chord right, but rarely do they get the proper inversion, which is where most of the "magic" is.

It's how you voice the chord that makes all the difference.

Thanks for sharing that with us E! I have

to say, IYCYM has ALWAYS been one of

my favorite 'Berries songs! Everything about

it is perfect :)