Sign in to follow this  
Bessieboo

Let's Pretend (Slow Version)

MJ   

Starting Over of course and Yes Wally's playing Scott's Bass and Scott is on mellotron.

Didn't you ever see Don Kirshner's from 1974?

LC   

Yeah, this is just killer. I remember a college friend in 1978 turning me on to this version --- she must have been the only other Raspberries fan at my college. (While I was playing the 'berries' four albums and Eric's first two solo albums, not to mention Beatles and ELO and Fleetwood Mac, everybody else was boogie'ing down to the Bee Gees and "I Will Survive" and "Shake Your Groove Thing.")

Anyway, this college friend had taped the 'berries on that 1974 program on a tiny home recorder. After I met her at school in '78 and we started talking about musical favorites, she made a terrible-sounding cassette copy for me. As bad as the audio quality was, I listened to that thing non-stop. "Let's Pretend" as a ballad is outstanding, and I love the way it segues into "Starting Over." It's nice to see this video again, even if it's not the whole version (which is on a bootleg DVD that you'll see pop up from time to time). (Not that I condone bootlegs.) :)

elle4ec   

Previously posted by Bessieboo:

Quote:
Was this slower version of Let's Pretend ever recorded other than this partial video ?

It is lovely

I love this version! It's like a preview of EC's solo "killer ballads". The slow version really makes those lyrics hit home. Thanks for posting.

OMGOSH! There are no words to describe what I feel when I hear this song. But this version... damn I burst into tears. The way Eric sings this...my heart just melts! LuvLove

I do have an awesome stereo in-studio recording of this (I've always referred to as the "slow ballad version" of "Let's Pretend.") As soon as I track it down I will upload it to the EC.com jukebox.

I seen them play that live at the Agora a whole bunch of years ago. It was actually broadcast on WMMS and I recorded it on my eight track recorder. Wish I still had that one!

Just beautiful. How coincidental- I just watched the '74 Don Kirshner yesterday. This version really gets to me. Thier performance on that show was just amamzing.

On the other end of the spectrum- I love the version of All Through The Night- Wally and Eric playing the solo...WOW! Turn it up!

The Kiwi Connection said:

Brian..."Starting Over"

DING DING DING!

BTW, yes I DID see both Kirshner concerts (I was a 10-year-old kid in '74, and since at that time it was on at 11:30 pm, my parents let me stay up to watch it!). :lol:

BMP

Reid C.   

Chills, indeed. I remember watching this when it first aired. It's amazing the different take you get when this song is slowed down. The only thing that could have made that clip better would have been to continue with "Starting Over." What a moving medley that is!

<Sigh> How wonderful! Thanks Beth for finding this lovely gem! I wonder why Eric decided to do a slower version of this great song?(not that I'm disappointed or anything :lol: )

HT

LC   

Bernie,

THANK YOU! What a great thrill this is to hear something "new" --- I've always loved that slow "Let's Pretend" (well, at least since the late 1970s, based on a raw cassette copy of the TV performance). To hear it like this is... the ultimate. You're the man!

Best,

Larry

Kirk   

It doesn't matter how many times I hear this-these are 3 of my top 5 Eric compositions- just great! Thanks, Bernie!

MJ   

Never mind - I read later what it said AFTER I listened (typical me) - I was just going to say I was horrified for the band by the amount of applause they received - I didn't realize it was a very small live audience!

i remember these performances oddly enough!! have'nt seen/heard these in years,and still love it!! i saw this on "regular" t.v. back in the day..what is this from?(in case i totally missed that..which i might have!)..lol,chris