Sign in to follow this  
LC

"Let's Pretend" at PopDose.com

Well, yeah I know that's my opinion...my opinion is formed by my musical intelligence tempered with years of practical experience. I say when Michael Stanley can sellout a Cleveland venue that The Raspberries can't...but only in Cleveland,that proves my point. The fans that think his songs are above average live in the Cleveland area. Maybe one or two in Calgary.

marvin   
hollies65 said:

Please note; I edited my original post to indicate Michael Stanley can still pull a crowd in CLEVELAND. Nowhere else.

Come on Steve, this isn't restricted to Cleveland. There are many regionally-popular artists.

If it makes everybody feel better, the pop critics in Cleveland are just as snarky as some of those in NYC who wrote up the amazing benefit concert at Radio City on April 4 for teaching transcendental meditation to at-risk kids. Imagine trashing Paul and Ringo (who sang together at the same mic as well as Ringo on drums and Paul downstairs on Hofner) with Sheryl Crowe, Eddie Vedder, Donovan, and comics Jerry Seinfeld and Howard Stern and on and on.. That was historic and now looks like Paul and Ringo will record some stuff together. I've put up 4 pages of photos on MaccaLand so far - access via www.maggieclarke.com

Maggie Clarke said:

If it makes everybody feel better, the pop critics in Cleveland are just as snarky as some of those in NYC who wrote up the amazing benefit concert at Radio City on April 4 for teaching transcendental meditation to at-risk kids. Imagine trashing Paul and Ringo (who sang together at the same mic as well as Ringo on drums and Paul downstairs on Hofner) with Sheryl Crowe, Eddie Vedder, Donovan, and comics Jerry Seinfeld and Howard Stern and on and on.. That was historic and now looks like Paul and Ringo will record some stuff together. I've put up 4 pages of photos on MaccaLand so far - access via www.maggieclarke.com

Thanks so much for the link!! Awesome pictures (and I like the Fleetwood Mac ones, as well!)!

ANDREA   
LC said:

Nice "tribute" to "Let's Pretend" at the website PopDose.com, where a couple of my friends contribute reviews. He hits Eric's solo work with a "treacly" but overall is very complimentary. (Note the ending, where he mentions multiple concerts planned for 2009.... Maybe he knows something...?)

Oh, I feel better now...

Trindy   

Folks, when I said "bands are considered good (in Cleveland) ONLY if they are from out of town," I meant "considered good BY THE CRITICS"!! Not the local fans!!

Obviously, many local fans support the local bands...especially anything Michael Stanley ever came up with...but the CRITICS do not. At least not until someone from New York or, perhaps, L.A. gives it his blessing and pronounces it therefore "cool"...

Michael Stanley is not really cool with local critics. For one thing, he's too popular with average Clevelanders.

See, one of the goals of all Cleveland rock critics is to transcend what they believe to be their hickish and unsophisticated hometown...they're embarrassed to be from here...they know that New Yorkers think they are provincial hicks, and they can't wait to prove it untrue--which they do by renouncing everything that has to do with Cleveland, and embracing only what has already received the Official Seal of Coolness from people in media centers.

The local fans? They vary by who we are talking about. Some slavishly follow what others tell them; others like what they like; and others are homers for the locals and are suspicious of everything else.