Sign in to follow this  
marvin

"Backstreets" story on Raspberries

marvin   

New issue of "Backstreets" magazine to include story on Raspberries:

"Issue #87 includes full interview with Springsteen at the outset of the Magic tour; plus interviews with Nils Lofgren, Jesse Malin, and Springsteen's entire Sessions Band...Plus: Magic tour news, non-tour Springsteen performances, Terry Magovern, Bruce & Ennio Morricone, the Raspberries, Bruce book and boot reviews, and more. All with exclusive, full-color photography, as usual."

Backstreets has been covering the music of Bruce Springsteen and the NJ scene for over 25 years. For this latest issue, I had the pleasure of writing a story on Raspberries and Bruce's connection to the band. The magazine should be available at selected newsstands and book stores in the next few days.

marvin   

Hey Kirk thanks for the kind words. The story was fun to put together, and I think people will be suprised at how much of a connection there is between Bruce and Raspberries.

JohnO   

Marv - Is this the same story that some of us read a couple of years ago, or did you update it to reflect more recent happenings (more shows, live CDs, etc.)?

JohnO   

Haven't seen in on the streets in newsstands yet, but I'll be in NYC this weekend, and will certainly pick up several copies then!

(NOTE: With the demise of Tower Records, I sadly have to go to Baltimore or Richmond to even get Goldmine nowadays, let alone more esoteric fare like Backstreets....all I can get in DC are mags like Rolling Stone, Mojo, Uncut, Q, etc. - and I'm grateful I can find those!)

marvin   

Yes "Backstreets" is certainly an 'esoteric' magazine with a bit of an exclusive readership. Nevertheless, the new issue is their biggest one yet (over 100 pages), and if you're a 'berries fan, a nice souvenir to add to the collection.

darlene   

Marvin, once again you've really outdone yourself! Way to go! It's a *terrific* souvenir to "add to the collection!" Your joy is always reflected in your wonderful writing and I know this article is truly superb. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks and Congratulations!!!

:) --Dar

marvin   

Here are some outlets in NJ that sell "Backstreets":

VINTAGE VINYL
51 LAFAYETTE RD.
FORDS, NJ 08863

JACK'S MUSIC SHOP
30 BROAD ST.
RED BANK, NJ 07701

SCOTTI'S RECORD SHOP
351 SPRINGFIELD AVE.
SUMMIT, NJ 07901

SOUND EXCHANGE RECORDS
1482 ROUTE 23
WAYNE, NJ 07470

...also many Tower, Borders, and Barnes & Noble locations.

marvin   

The story is not available on-line.

I have a PDF of the story, but in fairness to "Backstreets", would rather not post it here until the issue is off the newsstands.

JohnO   

Marv - Ran all over NYC the better part of Friday afternoon, looking for a copy. Couldn't find one anywhere! And I found a couple of newsstands that do carry the fan club-type of pubs (Hittin The Note - Allman Bros., Isis - Dylan, Where's Eric? - Clapton, although they appeared to be old issues....). Obviously didn't hit the right places. Guess I'll order it on-line.

(Dammit, Tower used to carry all of these kinds of mags!)

marvin   

Sorry about that John. I had a feeling that it would be difficult to find the mag. At least the on-line purchase option is available.

JohnO   

Marv - gotta love this! The day after I ordered a copy on-line, I found the mag in the Barnes & Noble just up the street from my office! - the very same B&N that didn't have it last Thursday, last time I looked there.....Oh well, i'll just give the extra copy to a friend....