Sign in to follow this  
LC

"Love Is Blue"

LC   

This one goes out to our leader --- Eric, I remember you saying you used to love "Love Is Blue."

This was kind of an unlikely radio hit, wasn't it? But it just stuck in your mind....

James   

"Love Is Blue" was the first song I fell in love with. I remember going up to my room as a little kid, turning on the radio, and just waiting and waiting until the station played it..

GMan   

Welcome back Eric! I always loved the melody. It is beautiful and timeless. It is something that always stays with you.

I love this song. It's the first song that I can ever recall. My grandma loved this song and used to play it on her organ was I was a very young child. Years later I bought the 45 of the Henry Mancini Orchestra version. It still brings tears to my eyes. Beautiful song. Thanks for sharing...I hadn't heard it in years.

Margaux   

This one..truely brings tears to my eyes..on a serious note,...and I know it's rare that I respond on a serious note but this one...This one reminds me of the days of Love Story and Romeo and Juliett....And Last Kiss.

LC   

Jeff, I have the same kind of memory --- "Love Is Blue" reminds me of nights riding in the back of the ol' stationwagon on long family trips in the late 1960s.... It would come on the radio all the time, and that sad melody would really get into your head. I was just reading that it was #1 for something like 5 weeks in a row in 1968.

Brian, that's cool that you saw Cyrus Erie play "Love Is Blue." I imagine Eric and Co. had it well-placed in a set, in the midst of Who, Beatles, and Small Faces songs. Where's that Time Travel machine Bernie was just talking about....?

Larry

Oh Larry I loved "Wednesday" and I love the way they covered "Last Kiss". How is it that a fella all the in Mass. knows so much about lil known Canadian bands that many Canadians don't even remember? (Thinks that is VERY cool!!)

Love is Blue has always been one of those dear to my heart as I feel the arrangement is as close to classical as one can get not to mention you don't even need the accompaning words to know exactly what this song is expressing!

Thank you for sharing this one!!!

boopell   

Beautiful song. My mom had this 45(along with "Games People Play" from another recent topic here),but my sister and I played it all the time. Does anyone remember "Quentin's Theme" from Dark Shadows? I always loved it and---my mom had the 45.

marvin   

Still have the Wednesday version of "Last Kiss" on 45. That was the only version that got played in Canada in the early 1970's. Speaking of "Love Is Blue", whoever is playing bass on that live version, is doing a masterful job.

Margaux   

Thanx for sharing that LC...I know those lyrics by heart...I could karaoke that one in a heartbeat!!

And what a sad sadt story...I had read something about it elsewhere but I don't believe it was as detailed.

I'm off to the grind today so play fun all :)

LC   
raspberrywolf said:

Love is Blue has always been one of those dear to my heart as I feel the arrangement is as close to classical as one can get not to mention you don't even need the accompaning words to know exactly what this song is expressing!

Thank you for sharing this one!!!

Hey Ras-Wolf,

Actually, I don't know that much about Wednesday (see Marvin); I just remember their version as the one that caught my ear as a kid. I must have been around 14 or so when Wednesday's "Last Kiss" came out, and the melodrama must have gotten to me (even though I didn't even have my driver's license yet!). In fact, I think I was surprised to find out later that it was a remake of an "old" song. But I can't say I own any Wednesday albums. I'll have to snoop around for a CD....

marvin   

Wednesday's version of "Last Kiss" reached the Top 5 in Canada, and Top 40 in the U.S. They must have had a thing for those 'death' records, because they also covered "Tell Laura I Love Her" and "Teen Angel."

darlene   

I loved "Love Is Blue," but I didn't know Cyrus Erie used to play it. I'd have loved to hear that!

I arranged it for string quartet and for my orchestra back in the day. The kids loved it and so did I. Strings sounded great on it.

:) --Darlene

LC   
darlene said:

I loved "Love Is Blue," but I didn't know Cyrus Erie used to play it. I'd have loved to hear that!

I arranged it for string quartet and for my orchestra back in the day. The kids loved it and so did I. Strings sounded great on it.

Uh-oh, Darlene... You better re-read Bernie's and Ken's Marathon Man book.... I think it's in there! (I think -- now I've gotta go back and check...)