LC

Without You: Badfinger

James   

Hard to top HN´s version, but that Badfinger version is strong, and different, more raw, organic, you can hear a little jangle in the guitars. I´d never heard it, thanks
LC!

That’s right, Matthew...Once Pete Ham committed suicide, the band had trouble with their songwriting chops(although Joey Molland has some excellent solo albums)...

I saw Badfinger on "Solid Gold" when comedian Marty Cohen introduced the song "Hold On" in March of 1981. Also saw the Merv Griffin performance of "I Got You" (also in 1981) on YouTube BUT not on TV though. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention that Badfinger was on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand" on May 19, 1979 performing the song "Love Is Gonna Come At Last". That performance is missing from YouTube as well as the interview. 

• Thanks 1

I have All those releases plus a Tommy Evans Cd (Over You)...Tom and Joey fronted intermittent Badfinger groups after Pete’s  death?..Joey’s  This Way Up Is wonderful...I actually saw the original group way back in 1974...Great show...If you notice, my avatar is of Molland...Great personable guy and is available after every show to talk and sign auto’s with fans...Has a new CD coming out soon with Mark Hudson...

Matthew, never realized you were such a big fan...

LC   
On 7/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, James said:

Hard to top HN´s version, but that Badfinger version is strong, and different, more raw, organic, you can hear a little jangle in the guitars. I´d never heard it, thanks
LC!

Yep, I grew up on the Nilsson version and loved it, and I don't think I heard the Badfinger version (not having been a huge fan) until probably the late 1980s, when I got a CD compilation. That Nilsson version is so perfect, so well-performed. It's really an iconic song. Like I said, it's A+ stuff. But the more I listened to Badfinger's version over the years, the more I appreciated the rawness and organic-ness that you pointed out. Thank God Harry picked it out and recorded it, because it probably exposed lots of people to Badfinger who otherwise might have missed 'em.

• Like 1