Sign in to follow this  
Ecstasy

Mother Teresa

Words of wisdom from the Dalai Lama (Thanks to AndieMay)

"If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it"

"We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection"

"The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis"

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness"

"Sleep is the best meditation"

"Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent"

Ecstasy   

Then I'll become silent and hope for the best. <smile> Thanks for the conversation, Eric. And to the others who posted, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love getting inside people's hearts and heads to hear what they really think.

I too am overwrought by it all Eric But being a God fearing individual keeps me from questioning GOD and these events of heartbreak If i make it to Heaven i know that is a priority question i would most certainly put forth to God But during our lifetime on earth its just not meant for us to know all the answers

Maybe that's my problem. The phrase "God fearing" makes absolutely no sense to my concept of a higher power.

"God Fearing" makes God something to be....well, feared! Something scary. Something vengeful, who displays anger and emotion, and can be violent and unforgiving if he's provoked. That's pretty much exactly how he's depicted in the Bible.

I have a little authority problem. I refuse to worship someone because they might hurt me if I don't. That would be like paying homage to the school bully so he won't beat me up.

No, if God wants me to worship him ( which, in itself makes no sense at all to me) he's not going to achieve it with threats and fear. He's going to have to earn my praise with really good deeds. He's going to have to be so good and so wonderful that I can't help but praise him.

I don't see God as an abusive father. And I don't believe in "original sin", either. There is no way my perfect beautiful children were born "tainted" because of some event that happened 6,000 or 60,000 years ago, depending on your particular timeline.

I'll tell you what I think of "sin." Sin is that thing without which there would be no need of priests. If intercourse, the most natural thing a man and woman can do, had not been turned into a "sin" by priests, then what would we need "forgiving" for.

Answer: nothing.

Everything that has been made a sin, are the things that man does naturally. Religion turned our natural instincts into something to be ashamed of, something we needed to be forgiven for. And of course, the only ones who could do the forgiving were the ones who decided all our natural instincts were base and foul and evil in the first place.

I'm sorry kids, I can buy into the concept of a higher power, a creative universal energy that somehow shaped the laws that govern the cosmos, but that is all.

And who says we're not meant to know all the answers? And why not? The answers would be pretty damn helpful, dont'cha think? I mean, we're not doing such a good job down here on Earth, at the moment. If I were God, I'd cough up a couple of answers before we blow ourselves to smithereens, unless, of course, that's part of "the plan".

Sherberries,

I believe you are absolutely correct on that point. It's just the sound of the phrase that makes me crazy.

"God fearing" sounds so archaic, like something the Pilgrims would have said. The weirdest part is that it was intended as a compliment!

To be a "God-fearing man" was a good thing, in those days.

We humans are so weird.

I understand what you mean. I also get what you mean about bad things that happen in the world. I believe that God gave man free will, and unfortunately that doesn't always turn out so well. We can't possibly have all the answers, we aren't God!

Sherry wink

Kathy222   

Free will gets us everytime and answers most of my questions of horrid events...

I have been a member of the same Catholic Church since birth...My 16 year old son completed his religious education at the same church last year and became a confirmed member of our faith. I have seen a 100% change in our parish. When I went thru CCD(religious education),we were taught more to fear God and our priest..Now I see a more "user friendly" approach which has helped draw in the younger generation. We CONFESSED to God,now we Reconcile..We GAVE UP candy for lent,now we SERVE our community... Children are not the future of our church, they ARE our church. I think things are changing for the better ...

AMEN Sherry, " We aren't God".. we were only created in his image.. just as we were created from our parents...and our society....

I don't care what people believe as long as they believe in something other than themselves.. I find alot of people float from religion to religion looking for someone to say the way they live their life is right.. I don't agree with many stands of the Catholic Church but I don't feel it makes me anyless Catholic. I don't agree with many practices of my Italian heritage eihter but it doesn't make my any less Italian ... lol

Sid   

A wise Rabbi once told me,"G-D answers all prayers, and sometimes his answer is no."