Sign in to follow this  
Eric Carmen

Jim Girard

I just got word that Jim Girard has passed away at fifty four. He was one of the few rock writers in Cleveland that totally understood what the Raspberries were trying to do. During his tenure at the Cleveland Scene, he conducted a number of interviews and reviewed many of the bands albums and later did the same when I became a solo artist. He was an insightful and eloquent writer and a positive voice at a time when it would have been easier and more "hip" to be negative. He took a stand. I admired him both for his ability and as a gentleman. He will be missed. Eric

Kirk   

Feel like I lost a friend, and never knew him, except through his writings and reviews. He was one who truly 'got it', and I enjoyed his reviews on you as much as anything I have read. Kirk.

eric and bernie,in clevelands music scene/radio station status nowadays..it's refreshing to remember the GOOD things that happened to the raspberries instead of all the negative things..jim gerard,jane scott,etc.. not many people take a stand anymore in what they believe..but thank god for the ones that did!!! i hope any fan in ohio is reading this and support the raspberries second coming..many fans need to be heard from this state!!..but back to the subject at hand..my sympathy to his family..lol,chris

sllvnbil   

This is terrible news. I got an e-mail early yesterday with the news. Jim was a good friend of mine. I haven't spoke to him in a while. The last time we spoke, we were talking about the Raspberries reunion and how thrilled he was about it. He was a big supporter of the band from day 1. He'll be missed.

Trindy   

This is truly sad. Not only was Jim Girard a Raspberries fan in a time and place when being a Raspberries fan was not cool and an Eric Carmen fan in a time and place where being an Eric Carmen fan was not cool (and let's be honest, that could be just about any time and place you can name, with small exceptions), but I learned a lot about writing just from reading his articles and reviews in Scene magazine over the years. In a way, he was like pre-journalism school for me. I was absorbing so much from him without even realizing it.

RIP, Jim...I have saved much of your work to this day and will always do so.