Sign in to follow this  
CubbiefanMike

1ST Rock Song You Heard!

My first rock song I remember hearing was "Cant Sit Down" by the Divelles(i think that was there name) Totally blew me away... almost a power pop song. The Raspberries could do a mean update of this song.

JuliaD   

As far as I recall, I was in Miami Beach with my aunt, uncle, and cousin, and "Louie, Louie" and "Satisfaction" were *all* over the radio stations when I was there.

ira   

The Dovells are a Philadelphia area group.Their other big hit was "The "Bristol Stomp"-"Bristol being a town near "Philly".Their lead singer Len Barry had a smash later on with"1-2-3" a song much used over the years in commercials.My first rock n' roll rush was the first time I heard -"I got a story that's sad but true......Runaround Sue"-Dion Dimucci-WOW!

"Sweat Pea" by Tommy Roe was the first song (not written directly for children) that I recall from my childhood. After that I remember the songs "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat and Tears and "Light My Fire" by the Doors being played constantly on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights, NJ, during the summer when I was a very young child.

MAM   

I think the first I heard was "The Peppermint Twist" (Joey Dee & The Starlighters). First one I actually paid attention to: "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

RE: "Sweat Pea"? eeklaugh You mean Sweet Pea, right?

marvin   

I'm guessing that it was probably some song by the Beatles that my dad played for me, but I KNOW which song first made an indelible mark in my brain: Badfinger's "No Matter What."

Marv

Not sure which one as I grew up my mon was an Elvis freak so something by him. The first song that made me take notice was "I want to hold you had" by The Beatles........

darlene   

My sister used to listen to "Little Darlin'" by The Diamonds and I loved it--it was so "up"! And "All I Have To Do Is Dream" by the Everly Brothers and "Dream Lover" by Bobby Darin both made a huge impression on me. Since I was beginning violin with a very strict Russian teacher, whose only remark on "rock 'n roll" was: "Oh HORRORS!!!!", it was "sneak music" for me. I would sneak and listen to her records when no one was around. I "sneaked" a lot!

smile --Darlene

JuliaD   

The Dovells are a Philadelphia area group.Their other big hit was "The "Bristol Stomp"-"Bristol being a town near "Philly".Their lead singer Len Barry had a smash later on with"1-2-3" a song much used over the years in commercials.My first rock n' roll rush was the first time I heard -"I got a story that's sad but true......Runaround Sue"-Dion Dimucci-WOW!

That 1-2-3 one... is that the one that goes "it's easy... like taking candy from a baby"?

ira   

Yes it is.That "1-2-3" ,it's easy" refrain has been used for products that claim to be easy to use like hair coloring and other do-it-yourself products. Has anyone noticed how many products feature "Spoonful" songs?The latest is Pepsi over Coke featuring "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind"?

JuliaD   

We had a local band here when I was in jr/sr high called "Mel Wynn and the Rythym Aces" and they did that song... they were a great band, and they covered songs with near perfection

RE: "Sweat Pea"? eeklaugh You mean Sweet Pea, right?

No! This song was on the B side of that 45. It was about the sweaty member of the pod that had a deodorant issue. Most people aren't aware of this song, because it was a "secret"...secret...Secret brand deodorant. :rolleyes: Seriously, I'm afraid the Blood, Sweat and Tears comment influenced my error in spelling at that point in time. I have a rather anal retentive personality, and I did attempt to make a correction a few minutes after submitting my original post...but too much time had elapsed and the message board wouldn't allow me to edit it. mad Darn that Beatlebum!