Sign in to follow this  
aggiesjc

Recommend two groups, please

Because I like him a lot -- 'cept for "Hot Child In The City," which I think radio ruined completely! Anyway, I used to have a cassette tape of Nick's CITY NIGHTS album that I played nonstop (much to Kathy's chagrin) when we were dating. A short time ago it was finally released on CD and needless to say everyone in the household here wasn't too happy about that :-)

Bernie

PS: The guitar riff to "Got to Get Out" is every bit as good as I remembered it!

marvin   

"City Night" got played a lot in our household as well Bernie. I still put it on the turntable every now and then. Canadian Nick used to be in a band called Roxy Roller with Bryan Adams.

Marv

popdude   

Oooooooooh, "Got to Get Out" - great tune! My band played that one live a few times, with lead vocals being handled by the inimitable (and insanely talented) Robbie Rist, who also played Cousin Oliver on "The Brady Bunch."

Rob is also a MAJOR Gilder freak and at one point was working on compiling a NG tribute album....

popdude   

Canadian Nick used to be in a band called Roxy Roller with Bryan Adams.

Marv

Actually Marv, the band you're speaking of was called Sweeney Todd, not Roxy Roller, and Bryan Adams was never in the band with Gilder - he joined after Nick left to go solo.

They did, however, have a cool tune called "Roxy Roller," which Gilder later re-recorded as a solo artist. smile

AJ   

Sweeney Todd: I have a disc titled "The Best Of And The Rest Of Sweeney Todd" and it lists both Nick Gilder (vocals) and Bryan Adams (guitar) on the credits and adds some notes that Bryan stayed with the group after Nick left to go solo.

popdude   

Yes, Material Issue was indeed a great band, one of the shining lights in power pop music during the early to mid '90s.

Al of their albums are very good, but the debut, INTERNATIONAL POP OVERTHROW, contains some of their best tunes.

Lead singer/songwriter Jim Ellison left us too soon, taking his own life in 1996....

pierson   

Anybody ever hear of a group called Pitty Sing? I've heard one of their songs called "Go Cry" which I like very much, and think others here would like, too.

great under rated band.... "Bleeding Hearts" "Radio" "On Drugs" are fab tunes... slick dance-y indie pop rock a la The Killers, BUT better...

also check out Dirty On Purpose... another unheard NYC band (i only heard one song on the radio, but it was memorable)

mannoman   

Jen,

Send me an email with your address and I will send a Dakota compilation and a compilation of some of my favorite bands (Ravyns, Company of Wolves, Tommy Conwell and others).

Ted

steven   

I'm a little slow on this one, but I just wanted to add two groups that I haven't seen mentioned.

(1) The Singles - Power pop group from Detroit. They have one album, Better Than Before, that is just terrific. The obvious point of reference is early Beatles (or early Beatles imitators like the Flamin' Groovies or the Spongetones). This is a very good and consistent album. They lose some points though for looking ridiculously young on the cover.

(2) In a different direction, I don't get to recommend the Pale Fountains/Shack enough. They are a Liverpool group that started in the early 80s as the Pale Fountains. Released two highly unsuccessful albums, that were both stunning, and then broke up and re-formed in the late 80s as Shack. Some of the songs I think of as being power pop, but the infuences are a lot more varied, besides the Beatles, there's some Burt Bacharach, Love, and folkie sounds (Nick Drake). Only one of their seven albums - HMS Fable by Shack - has been released in the States. I don't know anybody who has ever given this group a chance who has not been sold completely.

popdude   

I'm a little slow on this one, but I just wanted to add two groups that I haven't seen mentioned.

(1) The Singles - Power pop group from Detroit. They have one album, Better Than Before, that is just terrific. They lose some points though for looking ridiculously young on the cover.

Why would they lose points for looking ridiculously young? They ARE young. I think it's pretty cool that kids that age (early 20s) are into the classics like the Beatles, Buddy Holly, etc. You're right - great album!

After rediscovering some of these old posts, I have a couple of questions...How did Punky Meadows evolve from Cherry People to Angel?

...2 completely different sounds...Like Johanssen/Poindexter dichotomy...And who sings the song entitled "Sweet Bitch"?...

pat   

ok Lew, time for some schooling.

there was a band from Boston called BUX.

short for Daddy Warbux. 'Punky' was in this band after the Cherry People and before Angel. This band also featured Ralph Mormon future vocalist for such acts as (Kim Simmons 80's version of Savoy Brown) & the Joe Perry Project.

Bux's one and only album's cover shot was posed in front of the Wall St. sign.

if you want it, i've got it, if you need it, it will cost you.