Sign in to follow this  
hollies65

Mel Gibson's wife files for divorce......

darlene   

My parents weren't exactly fans of rock music either. They thought it would be the ruination of the younger generation, and they weren't pleased when my sister would sit in her room and listen to Everly Bros. That was my first glimpse into pop and I loved it.

They loved me listening to records of Mendelssohn symphonies or Bach, but would shake their heads when I played "that other stuff."

I was always mostly into classical so they let it pass. It wasn't until Raspberries that my mom finally conceded, "This is beautiful music. It's different from all that other junk." She never did see the musical value of The Beatles because she couldn't get past that they smoked pot and "were weird."

It's ironic that back in the 70s she preached that she would never ingest such a substance. I once jokingly said to her, "Never say never. You never know what's going to happen." She said, "I can definitely say never on that!"

Later, when she had Alzheimers and lost her appetite, the drug her doctor gave her to get it back was "maranol," which was marijuana. Within an hour she was eating everything in sight. In the midst of the horrible situation I found humor in that fact than Mom was saved by "the munchies." She would have been appalled if she had only known...

You can never say "never."

smile --Darlene

Shelley   

The first time my Dad actually listened to any music I listened to..I was playing GATW..He listened to the lyrics, while I was singing along...He got so mad..I was a young teen, and he asked me if I knew what"that guy" was singing about...Me being blunt said yeah Dad..sex...my Dad yanked the 45 off the record player...broke it in half and told me never to listen to that crap again...little does he know that I went out the next day and got a new 45 of GATW...this time I would only play it when I had the head phones on haha ..years later my Mom and Dad saw the movie "Dirty Dancing"...my Dad really liked the song "hungry eyes"....He asked me to get a copy for him....I laughed, because I asked him if he knew the artist who sang the song....He didn't...when I told him it was Eric..the guy who sang GATW...He looked at me shook his head and said...well at least now he's making something worth listening to :rolleyes:

I have to say, my Dad really enjoyed Eric's solo albums..He loved "All by myself"....I had to share this story..on May 3rd He would have been 82...I miss him, and from time to time the memory of Dad breaking my 45 makes me giggle...generation gap

boopell   

When I was young I sat through "The Andy Williams Show" and "Tom Jones" every week and the Perry Como Christmas shows because my mom loved them.

I had no appreciation of them at the time.

Mom's record collection included Herb Alpert, Engelbert Humperdinck,etc...

I don't think Dad had any preferences(he did love Billy Joel's "Piano Man) and neither of them ever commented on the music I listened to.

I don't know what happened, but when I was about 17 and Mom was 37 she discovered Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac among others.

A few years later my parents, my husband and I all went to a Kinks concert together at Mom's request. And I'll never forget what Dad said after Mom dragged him to a Rod Stewart concert--"He (Rod Stewart) looked like a little old lady with a soccer ball." smile

I really miss them both.

GMan   

My Mom would play the first side of the Rolling Stones first album over and over...especially 'I'm a King Bee'.My folks LOVED Rock and Roll.

My Mom loved Rock n' Roll too. My Dad...well...he was another story. When I was about 13...summer of '68...I was playing "Are You Experienced"? by Jimi Hendrix. He calmly asked what kind of music it was and then sauntered over to the Hi-Fi...took the needle off of the record....and calmly walked over to the parlor window....yep...you guessed it....Frisbee city...lmao. My dad was a softie though...later in the day he flipped me a 5 dollar bill and said he was sorry. True story...and I'll treasure it as long as I live.

It's funny how me,my mom,and my daughter all like his music.My mom liked the Raspberries and I did too. My daughter didn't care too much for it when I was listening to them one day,then I put "Hungry Eyes" on ,she came out of her room and said she loved that song. I told her it was the same guy. She also likes "MMLC". He has that something in all the stages of his career.There are very few artists that have it.

marvin   

Just to get this back on the topic of the thread, what kind of music does Mel or his wife or for that matter, Mel's dad like? :p

darlene   

It's kind of funny how we get off these topics, isn't it? I wonder what kind of music they like, indeed. I'm surprised Mel doesn't have a band. So many actors do.

smile --D

Kirk   

James, I'd like to add an 'amen' to your post!

Eric, I also looked at the text you referred to on predestination. It's a highly volatile issue even among church members. In fact, the church my wife and her mother go to recently had a big fallout over the issue.

In WWGHA, one translation of Pslam 139 verse 16 is quoted, followed by a series of arguements based on Rick Warren's book.

I'd like to suggest that one do there own exegesis of the passage. If you examine the Hebrew text, syntax and context associated with it, you might come to a different conclusion than WWGHA or Rick Warren.

Here's something to chew on regarding the Bible verse WWGHA quoted. More food for thought...

http://www.crivoice.org/psa139.html

boopell   

I've said before that I believe in God and the ability to heal ourselves.

Is that maybe what prayer is?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/god5.htm

Under "Rationalization 1" in this link the verses from Matthew, John and Mark sound like consciousness.

From the book "The Divine Matrix"--

healing can occur through "human emotion directing energy" and "The key to healing is the ability to focus emotion and energy in our bodies or that of a loved one..."

Is this what prayer circles do?

I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced and I do pray every day, but I research natural healing and medicine and I sure don't rule it out.

Reading this thread has been really enjoyable.

Our musical lives changed when, in 1967, my father, a classical music buff, brought home Sgt. Pepper from his lab after a young scientist insisted he borrow it to copy on Dad's trusty tape machine. Magical Mystery Tour followed.

Five years later, even before GATW, my brother Steve introduced me to DWSG. Other tunes followed. We had found the perfect blend of melody and power. So many years of enjoyment followed.

Geesh, I spend the week finalizing plans for a little tea party and I come back to find a debate…a religious debate no less, that has broken out once again on ec.com. This time on a Mel Gibson thread! Now, who would have thunk? haha

When I last left this thread I do remember that I was trying to make a point that no one knows what lives in another’s heart.

Maybe this is too little, too late and these discussions, to me at least, are always better face to face…but here goes.

Mel:

Honestly, I can’t get so wrapped up in some guy who will most likely never be in my life. My original post stands. I have nothing to add to it.

God:

I agree with James on what he has stated. I have come to believe that James and I were separated at birth. But then, that would make it really creepy being in his harem, so forget that whole scenario. wink

As I have said in other threads, I do believe God exists and I know He is active in my life. I hope that others see that as I’m sure at times they don’t, when I get all “unchristian-like†as I say.

I know God loves me and He has blessed me with opportunities in my life that I have grabbed on to and made happen (one reason I don’t believe in predestination.) I think God, like any parent, has “plans†for His children - like having a happy, fulfilled life, again grabbing on to opportunities He gives you, not running your life like a puppet master. Free will -- baby!

I don’t think I can live up to the standard of a “true Christian woman,†because I know my failures, none of which I care to list at this present moment, thankyouverymuch. But I do feel I’m a “work in progress†and pretty much will be till the day I die. God must be exhausted with me by now…lol

If I was ever interviewed by James Lipton and he asked me: “If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?†My answer would be… “I am proud of you my daughter. Oh and you make me laugh!†That would be music to my ears.

I do like the old adage, “What would Jesus do?†And as I have said before, sometimes “What does Wendy want?†supersedes that. But that’s because I’m only human and forget that it’s not always about Wendy. Yes, yes, I know, how can that be? I’m still trying to figure that out too. spin

I don’t feel it is guilt that drives me to want to be a good person or the fact that when I was little I was told “good girls go to Heaven.†I think it makes sense to try and lead a good life. It makes me feel…well…good inside.

I like to follow the teachings of Jesus to keep me on a good path…and when I don’t, well, I fail – big time. And I pay the consequences and I have no one else to blame but myself.

I can also add that I have never had to “search†for God, so I don’t know what that is like. To me, He has always been there. First, because I was “told†He was, then because I could “feel†it. And I now know that in my heart, it’s the truth. He is always with me.

As James stated and I had said once before…like love, you know He’s there. You can feel Him within your whole being. Sometimes you can’t say why…but you know it. smart

Anyway…

He didn’t come out of his little spot where he slept in the daytime. So I called for him again and then began look for him. I looked in every room. I moved boxes, I opened closets, I brushed away dust bunnies from under the beds, (I realized I needed to clean a bit better there), I flipped up cushions, etc… and I even went outside because I had noticed the front door had been left open. The more I looked, and didn’t find him right away, the more I panicked, the more I started doubting I’d find him.

I searched high and low again and again…Are you still with me? I do have a point to this story.

But…in my heart, I knew he was still in the house, I knew I couldn’t stop looking, I knew I’d find him. However, it had now been over an hour and my doubts of ever finding him grew deeper, no matter how sure I was that he was indeed here.

So, I told myself I wasn’t going to stop because I really wanted to find him. I don’t care what obstacle was in my way, I was going to go right past it to see if he was just beyond it. But first, I needed to calm down, clear my head and focus.

Then, I went into the spare room, for the 5th time. I had this strange feeling I needed to go there again. Through my tears I called his name - OKU! And out from under the bed, the little guy came. I picked him up and couldn’t stop kissing him, I was sooooooooooooo happy.

The thing is, he was right there the whole time. I looked under that bed 4 times! But I started to become so unsure that I couldn’t concentrate on finding him. Perhaps if I had stayed in that room for a while longer...perhaps called his name more than once before closing the door behind me and walking out yet again or moved a few more things under the bed instead of rummaging quickly through them in a panic, I would have found him sooner.

My whole point to this story is…when one searches for God, do they do all they can to find Him? Are they looking beyond the obstacles that keep Him from them? Are they searching for Him with a clear mind knowing He is there and He can be found?

Or are they trying to prove He doesn’t exist, just so they don’t have to continue the search. Are they afraid that in their search, He may not be found and it would indeed be a disappointment? Are their doubts getting in the way?

Either way, I don’t know, I can’t answer those questions. That is something that only a person searching for God knows. Who are we to say? Only they know what lives in their heart.

Wendy

PS: And for those that are searching, please know you are in my prayers. I do hope you find the answers to the questions that you have.

P.S.S. Marvin, it’s Let’s Pretend over Tonight and Ecstasy. Hands down. heartpump

Kirk,

Your post, and the link to that incredible website, made my day.

When I question religion, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Here you have a perfectly wonderful explanation of how the accidental juxtaposition of two letters could completely change the meaning of a very important sentence in this Psalm.

This is the kind of research I wish everyone had the time, inclination and energy to tackle.

As the author of this piece points out, there is no "master volume" of the bible. There are just thousands of different manuscripts, written in different centuries, copied by human scribes who are prone to all the simple mistakes any of us can and do make everyday. The translations have gone from Hebrew to Aramaic to Greek to Talmudic Hebrew to Latin to German to English. Along the way, countless errors and mistranslations have been made, which is why we have something like 5000 different versions of the bible today.

And that is why I get so irritated when someone claims to "know", beyond any shadow of a doubt, exactly what God said and meant in every passage.

Thank you for the best addition to this discussion I have seen to date.

I look forward to reading more on this website.

e

Kathy222   

Love of Music is one of the primary gifts my husband and I share with our 16 year old son. We have great discussions on artists and lyrics which unleash rivers of conversations regarding life,love and everything inbetween. He's been playing guitar and bass for several years now showing much talent. I also feel this has occupied time that could have been spent doing much worse considering the condition of the world these days. psych

missm   

Wendy - glad you're back! Nice story about Oku, but can you explain this Tea Bag thing to me. I only know it happened, but don't know why. (Maybe I would if I would stay off of this and other message boards...and watch the news).

Geesh, I spend the week finalizing plans for a little tea party and I come back to find a debate…a religious debate no less, that has broken out once again on ec.com. This time on a Mel Gibson thread! Now, who would have thunk? haha

When I last left this thread I do remember that I was trying to make a point that no one knows what lives in another’s heart.

Maybe this is too little, too late and these discussions, to me at least, are always better face to face…but here goes.

Mel:

Honestly, I can’t get so wrapped up in some guy who will most likely never be in my life. My original post stands. I have nothing to add to it.

God:

I agree with James on what he has stated. I have come to believe that James and I were separated at birth. But then, that would make it really creepy being in his harem, so forget that whole scenario. wink

As I have said in other threads, I do believe God exists and I know He is active in my life. I hope that others see that as I’m sure at times they don’t, when I get all “unchristian-like†as I say.

I know God loves me and He has blessed me with opportunities in my life that I have grabbed on to and made happen (one reason I don’t believe in predestination.) I think God, like any parent, has “plans†for His children - like having a happy, fulfilled life, again grabbing on to opportunities He gives you, not running your life like a puppet master. Free will -- baby!

I don’t think I can live up to the standard of a “true Christian woman,†because I know my failures, none of which I care to list at this present moment, thankyouverymuch. But I do feel I’m a “work in progress†and pretty much will be till the day I die. God must be exhausted with me by now…lol

If I was ever interviewed by James Lipton and he asked me: “If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?†My answer would be… “I am proud of you my daughter. Oh and you make me laugh!†That would be music to my ears.

I do like the old adage, “What would Jesus do?†And as I have said before, sometimes “What does Wendy want?†supersedes that. But that’s because I’m only human and forget that it’s not always about Wendy. Yes, yes, I know, how can that be? I’m still trying to figure that out too. spin

I don’t feel it is guilt that drives me to want to be a good person or the fact that when I was little I was told “good girls go to Heaven.†I think it makes sense to try and lead a good life. It makes me feel…well…good inside.

I like to follow the teachings of Jesus to keep me on a good path…and when I don’t, well, I fail – big time. And I pay the consequences and I have no one else to blame but myself.

I can also add that I have never had to “search†for God, so I don’t know what that is like. To me, He has always been there. First, because I was “told†He was, then because I could “feel†it. And I now know that in my heart, it’s the truth. He is always with me.

As James stated and I had said once before…like love, you know He’s there. You can feel Him within your whole being. Sometimes you can’t say why…but you know it. smart

Anyway…

He didn’t come out of his little spot where he slept in the daytime. So I called for him again and then began look for him. I looked in every room. I moved boxes, I opened closets, I brushed away dust bunnies from under the beds, (I realized I needed to clean a bit better there), I flipped up cushions, etc… and I even went outside because I had noticed the front door had been left open. The more I looked, and didn’t find him right away, the more I panicked, the more I started doubting I’d find him.

I searched high and low again and again…Are you still with me? I do have a point to this story.

But…in my heart, I knew he was still in the house, I knew I couldn’t stop looking, I knew I’d find him. However, it had now been over an hour and my doubts of ever finding him grew deeper, no matter how sure I was that he was indeed here.

So, I told myself I wasn’t going to stop because I really wanted to find him. I don’t care what obstacle was in my way, I was going to go right past it to see if he was just beyond it. But first, I needed to calm down, clear my head and focus.

Then, I went into the spare room, for the 5th time. I had this strange feeling I needed to go there again. Through my tears I called his name - OKU! And out from under the bed, the little guy came. I picked him up and couldn’t stop kissing him, I was sooooooooooooo happy.

The thing is, he was right there the whole time. I looked under that bed 4 times! But I started to become so unsure that I couldn’t concentrate on finding him. Perhaps if I had stayed in that room for a while longer...perhaps called his name more than once before closing the door behind me and walking out yet again or moved a few more things under the bed instead of rummaging quickly through them in a panic, I would have found him sooner.

My whole point to this story is…when one searches for God, do they do all they can to find Him? Are they looking beyond the obstacles that keep Him from them? Are they searching for Him with a clear mind knowing He is there and He can be found?

Or are they trying to prove He doesn’t exist, just so they don’t have to continue the search. Are they afraid that in their search, He may not be found and it would indeed be a disappointment? Are their doubts getting in the way?

Either way, I don’t know, I can’t answer those questions. That is something that only a person searching for God knows. Who are we to say? Only they know what lives in their heart.

Wendy

PS: And for those that are searching, please know you are in my prayers. I do hope you find the answers to the questions that you have.

P.S.S. Marvin, it’s Let’s Pretend over Tonight and Ecstasy. Hands down. heartpump

Alright Wendy World, now we know where you stand on Mel and God; the question is where do you stand on TOMMY TUNES?