Sign in to follow this  
aggiesjc

What do your kids listen to?

aggiesjc   

JuliaD's recent comments under another topic about her son's taste in music made me wonder this: Of those of you who are parents (I'm not), what do your kids listen to? Who are their favorite groups/solo artists? Also, let us know their ages, too, if you don't mind.

marvin   

My 4 1/2yr old is a music fanatic already. He listens to the same thing his dad does: Bruce Springsteen, Venice, the Eagles, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Eric Carmen, and the list goes on and on.

MARVIN

Check out "Boys and Girls" by Good Charlotte. It's getting a pretty decent amount of airplay here at home :-) Pretty catchy in a sort of powerpop meets punk 2003 sort of vein. The band is currently being promoted on "spankin' new bands week" over on MTV. --Bernie

Julie   

Well, I don't have any children, but my 12 year old goddaughter's favorite group is the Beach Boys. She was in the car with me a couple of months ago and I put on "Cruisin' Music" for her. She says, "is that the Beach Boys?". I told her who it was and she said, "cool! Sounds just like the Beach Boys!".

There is hope for her! --Julie

JuliaD   

My son is 28 now, but I recall something pretty wild from his youth... other than Eric, one of my alltime favorite singers is Tommy James, with or without the Shondells (preferrably without, actually)... when my son was about 3 or 4, Tommy James had an lp out called "In Touch", and there was a song on it called "(Do You Wanna) Touch Me", and I played that lp, and that song constantly... there was a part in it that went "yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah", and my son loved that part, he used to sit and sing "yeah, FO yeah, FO yeah", that's how little he was... YEARS later (at least 10), my son and I were in my car, and the same song came on by someone else (Joan Jett?), and my son suddenly got a weird look on his face and in a low, somewhat horrified voice, started singing with the radio... every word... and he said "WHY do I know this song, I never heard it before?!!!"... he was close to freaking out because he had no idea why he knew the words... I laughingly explained to him why it was probably stuck in his memory bank... it really bugged him that he had total recall of the words, and no memories of having heard it, but I thought it was cool laugh

Former Glam rock singer Paul Gadd (Gary Glitter) did the original "Do You Wanna Touch Me" (Oh Yeah) but the song did not hit the United States. It was big in England & hit the top ten in 1972 or 1973. The same Gary who did "Rock & Roll" (Parts 1 & 2, the "Hey" song heard in sports stadiums) & "I Didn't Know I Loved You" (Till I Saw You Rock & Roll). Matt

Lydia   

JuliaD you reminded me of something...

Does anyone remember an old Bee Gees song about a terrible tragedy?? I had purchased an old compilation album when my daughter was about 6 (in 1983) so she could have something to play on an old stero she got from my brother. She adored that song and played it endlessly. I thought the song was incredibly sad so I never told her what it was about.

We were talking about Maurice Gibb the other day and unfortunately, she has no recollection of that song now (she's 25) and I've never heard it on the radio. I'm pretty sure the first line was "Have you seen a picture of my wife, Mr Jones?"

Can you help?

JuliaD   

New York Mining Disater 1941

In the event of something happening to me,

there is something I would like you all to see.

It's just a photograph of someone that I knew.

Have you seen my wife, Mr. Jones?

Do you know what it's like on the outside?

Don't go talking too loud, you'll cause a landslide, Mr. Jones.

I keep straining my ears to hear a sound.

Maybe someone is digging underground,

or have they given up and all gone home to bed,

thinking those who once existed must be dead.

In the event of something happening to me,

there is something I would like you all to see.

It's just a photograph of someone that I knew.

JuliaD, Tommy James doesn't get enough credit for his body of work. Such a variety of musical styles in his hit songs of the late '60's and early '70's. Has he tried a comeback lately? Are his solo albums really good to just a casual Tommy James fan? What is the name of his best solo CD or songs?

JuliaD   

Matthew, I did know about Gary Glitter doing it, I just like Tommy's better... laugh

Tony, I think his solo works are his best... he hasn't had a new release in a long time that I'm aware of (other than a compilation perhaps), but "Touch Me", and "Go" are really great albums, I can listen to both of them after all these years and not "flip" thru songs, each one is great... on Touch Me, he covered "Devil Gate Drive", and did a super job... he also covered Glitter's "I Love You Love Me Love"... but every song on it is worth hearing... on Go, the selection is more varied, there's some slower songs, like "Ordinary Girl", which is about a housewife sitting in her kitchen looking back on her life, and it's really bittersweet (even if it reminds me too much of my own life, lol)... and the songs "Go" and "Annie Come Knockin'" are nice and lively... definitely worth checking out ebay for smilie

Lydia, that song doesn't really bother me, maybe living in this area of PA, where coal was king, and mine subsidences common (still happens), I'm impervious... the song "Timothy" by The Buoys was about the Sheppton Mine Disaster, tho you'd never get the guys in the band to admit it publicly... less than 10 miles from my house is a piece of land with a fence around it for no apparent reason... just a small picket fence... locals know the mines opened up under the house decades ago in the middle of the night and swallowed the house and family whole... they were never brought up, and that area was fenced off by the remaining family in silent memorial... Centralia PA is an entire town that was abandoned not all that many years ago because the fires in the mines under the town were just gobbling the place up... NE PA is full of old mines, and in some cases, old miners, sadly... a hazard of the job

I think Centralia is such an interesting story. Living as close as I do, I have never driven up to see it. I hear it is like a ghost town. Hey Julia, do you ever go to Knoebles Grove? My family goes there every summer, even though Hershey Park is only a half hour away. There is a group that plays there called the Mahoney Brothers that do a killer Beatles set.

JuliaD   

Sure, I've been to Knoebel's lotsa times, moreso when I was younger than lately, but I still try to get there at least once in the summertime... love their pool, and the hand cut fries... mmmmmmm! And I like riding the stupid train so I can watch the squirrels eat their corn, lol... I hate the way the owner thinks he's got a mini Disney World there, tho, he copies everything Disney has... "The Country Bear JUBILEE"... how original! :rolleyes:

Hershey's about an hour from me, last time I was there was a couple years ago when my penpal from Washington state visited me... I almost got there in November to see the Christmas decorations, but it was so cold the people I was going with decided they just didn't wanna go, which was ok by me too, I hate cold...

Well, I'm pretty sure I will have the biggest variety in this category!

(all daughters)

17 year old: Mariah Carey, Mariah Carey , Mariah Carey (in that order,LOL!)

14 year old: Insane Clown Posse and Eric Carmen (I'm not kidding!)

10 year old: Backstreet Boys, Aaron and Nick Carter, Beatles, Paul McCartney, Avril Lavigne

8 year old: NSYNC and Britney Spears

How's THAT for variety??????

17 year daughter old Dave Mathews.Christina,Bowie, Queen,Faith,Jellyfish,Jodee Messina some (RAP arrgh )

10 year daughter old Britney ,Justin,Nsync,Kelly Clarkson

12 year old son Smashmouth,Billy Gilman,Blink182,Jimmys Chicken Shack,Foo Fightrs

My son is a recent birthday boy of 13. His favorite groups are: Linkin Park, The Butt Trumpets (I swear that's the name), Simple Plan and Good Charlotte. He is an avid, avid Beatles fan, with the ability to sing the Hanover Club songs in German. As I said in another post, Boats Against... is one of my sons's favorite CD's-I played it so much that he took it in by osmosis. Since I have been visiting this site, he has heard more of EC's other tunes and has blessed him with "pretty cool".

I guess when you go through all the normal names you look for a hook. When I was 16, our band got our name, Summit Express, from Summit Road in South Euclid and an express bus that was passing by at the time ! I don't even want to KNOW what had to happen to choose the name Butt Trumpets (but it is pretty cool)

-Bill