Sign in to follow this  
steven

Pezband CDs

steven   

I noticed that the Pezband's three albums were finally released on CD in Japan with bonus tracks and everything. I loved the first two albums. I always thought that the Pezband sounded more like the Raspberries than any other band I've heard. I think the lead singer had a voice that was at least somehwat similar to Eric's.

Has anybody heard the CDs? Are they worth the investment for the bonus tracks?

mellie   

My mind remembered how good they sounded, but my ears forgot until a couple of weeks ago when I received all three of the CD's. Wow! Fun stuff. The bonus material is really a treat. I love Mick's "Waiting in Line"...so catchy, I keep listening to it over and over. (I wonder who it was written about????)

It seems to me that on the CD's, the mix is muddy and Mimi's vocals sound weaker than I remembered on the LP's. They also had a crisper sound live. I've tried playing with the treble and bass balances, but seems to make it worse. Has anyone else noticed this? Such great music - should have been produced with better technology.

Mellie,

I heard that the Pezband MASTER TAPES are lost, so the label used an inferior source out of necessity. So it's quite possible that the LPs had more depth. Most vinyl afficionados argue that CDs are quite inferior by their nature. I know that I haven't fired up my turntable in years and I definitely do not miss the pops and clicks!

Bernie

AJ   

If you have the LPs just convert them yourself instead of paying the import price. It's easy to do, you just need a turntable with a preamp or receiver, a computer with a soundcard and CD burner (pretty much standard these days) and WAV recording software. GoldWave software offers a free version (for download) that will do the job and an advanced version that lets you edit out LP surface noise (costs around $30-40), plus you can edit such that there is no quiet space between tracks. The whole process takes about an hour per record. What's great is that you can EQ the songs as you wish. I was going broke tracking down CD issues of LPs I already owned. I tried the Stereo CD Recorders that you hook up to a stereo, but they didn't let you clean up surface noise. I found an online site that described the computer process and I was hooked! It's almost as easy as using a cassette recorder. If you don't have turntable (and are not an audiophile, Audio Technica offers a turntable with a built-in preamp plus cartridge for $100 from Circuit City - you can plug it directly into your computer soundcard's line-in jack). Plus you can also create your own MP3 files. If anyone has questions about the process, I'd be more than happy to help - maybe post a new topic in the COMMUNITY board. Finally, as far as I've researched, the copyright laws permit you to create a backup of music you already own, plus most obscure stuff from way back will probably never see a reissue.