Sign in to follow this  
DanceMan

Darlene's Welcome Committee

DanceMan   

Darlene,

Sugar told me that you always welcome everyone with a hundred welcomes. I'm feeling left out. I've been on the boards two days now and still no welcome from you. My feelings are hurt.

Do I have to dance with you first? If so young lady, it would be my pleasure. Let's find that dance floor pronto!

DanceMan

darlene   

DanceMan, A HUNDRED WELCOMES TO YOU!!!!! I saw your name listed as "new member," but didn't realize you had yet posted. (A hundred apologies to you as well!)

I really admire a "DanceMan." I would bet you are cool and suave on the floor! I would love to dance with you but would have to take some lessons at "Arthur Murray" first! I would like to see you and Sugarbabi "trip the light fantastic", though!

I know you will just love it here! I think you are a WONDERFUL addition to the board! Have fun!

:) --Darlene

darlene   

I *would* have danced with Cartmill, had he come to NEW YORK, NEW YORK for the BBKings show. Of course, he could say that about me, had I come to the LA show. We missed each other like "strangers in the night."

Next show, Cartmill--we'll dance. Maybe even with "DanceMan" and "Sugar"!

:) --D

Trindy   

Ah, but Tony and Darlene...will you just stay on the floor, or will you, in the great tradition of Raspberries concerts as set at B.B. King's, "jump and get up on the table"?

Now THAT is something I want to see! Come on you two...let's see those rhythm & blues electrify your shoes!

darlene   

At the next Razz concert, Trindy, we just might. I think BeatleJay will already be up there, but if the table is big enough.....!

A skimpy dress would be fun (for you too, Kath!), but "something popping out?" Why, sir, you must have me confused with Scarlett Johannson! :lol:

Or CubfanMike. I hear he has a mean breakaway outfit.

Incidentally, when dancing in one of those skimpy costumes as on "Dancing With The Stars" or in real competition, you are so well netted, sewed and taped (ice skaters too), that there is a slim to NO chance of a malfunction. The mishap of Kelly's straps breaking last year was a well choreographed, well planned fake display.

Her straps were breakaways, she was netted and glued, and if you notice her costume never moved, so she had no reason except for a ploy for votes to hang onto it for dear life as she did. It wasn't going anywhere! If you look closely at some of the pictures of her costume, the breakaway portion is visible.

Touched a nerve with this one. This year we have "SlugBoy"(Master P) who despite the fact that he klumps around the floor, only moves his arms usually to fling his poor partner from side to side (she is to be commended for putting up with this and I hope paid extra) has remained on the show because he goes for the sympathy vote. First he was doing it for the people in New Orleans, as he managed to inject in the conversation numerous times (like they cared, there is no prize money to be dedicated to them) then this past week he went for the "my grandmother (or dog, I forget) has been ill" ploy and managed to stay in another week. Yeah he filled in for his son, yeah one week he almost tried to move, notice how far away his partner tried to stay from him at all times (that was a disaster). George Hamilton with 4 broken ribs and almost 30 years moved with more grace and dignity. But his lack of disrespect for the whole ballroom dance concept is just plain rude! The clothes, the constant use of his mega klumpy tennis shoes and the hats....he's not even entertainment value. If someone was involved in something that he was doing (stage, video, concert,etc.) you can bet he'd demand they be attired appropriately, and if they refused as he does, they'd be gone so fast they wouldn't even get to pump up their tennies.

True it's not a real competion in ballroom, but the celebrities that are involved are knocking themselves out to put on a great show and beautiful dance numbers. They are working their butts off out there during rehearsals. They, themselves have reiterated how difficult it is to do these dances. Guys who think it's for sissy boys need to come into a studio with me or Drew or any other good instructor. 100% money-back guarantee they will never utter the words dancing and sissy boy in the same sentence ever again, provided they can suck oxygen long enough to utter the words. I've taught tap, jazz, modern, hip-hop and ballroom. The hardest workout and most precise dancing you will do is ballroom. It Ain't For Wimps!! :);)

Still wanna dance with me guys?

DanceMan   

Darlene,

A hundred thank you's! The offer of a spin around the dance floor still stands.

Tony,

He was actually my inspiration and mentor. I'm delighted to finally meet the "Unknown Comic", sorry I didn't recognize you with out your bag.

Kathy, Trindy, aggiesjc, popdude,

Great to be here. Look forward to meeting each and everyone of you in the future sometime.

Sugar,

Come away from the TV set, that show only sets you off.

Actually she's right in her assessment though. Never tell her I agree with her on something though.

Dancing is like a sport. It takes skill and stamina and a lot of heart. You will get sore, you will sprain things and on occasion, you will break a bone or suffer a concussion. The injuries are usually more prevalent with the women. Not because they are the weaker sex (and trust me, I know they aren't). But because they are usually the ones being flung about the dance floor.

When we worked together, I've seen Sugar slammed into mirrors, dropped countless times and stepped on more times than I'm sure she'd like to remember. I've seen her go head first into a dropped ceiling during a lift not done properly by the man, and no, none of these injuries were caused by me although we've had our shared moments during difficult routines. I saw her once pull a groin muscle during a rehearsal and then having to dance in spite of it and a great deal of pain the next night because without her, a six person routine wouldn't have worked. Now that's a trouper. Sidelined her for two weeks afterward though to heal up. A lot of injuries are caused because a student doesn't perform a move correctly and the instructor takes the brunt of it. But, we also get injured through mishaps, slips a bad grip, lift or drop too. Not for wimps!

Did you know that as instructors you must learn both the male and female choreography, I bet you did. As a man, I have to be able to follow as well as lead. Sugar has to be able to lead as well as follow. This is done not only to be able to teach male and female students, but to allow them to know what it feels like when they lead or follow. I have to laugh here because I've seen Sugar many a time not move an inch on the dance floor if the man wasn't leading properly. If he assumes she's going to move because she knows how, he's going to run into her, because she won't move. It's then that she takes the man's role and lets him be the woman so he can "feel" what it's like to be led. Works every time, too.

Well, looks like I got carried away as much as Sugar did. This really wasn't the thread to do that on, but didn't see an appropriate one.

Again, everyone, thanks for the welcome.

DanceMan

Drew

marlene   

Welcome, DanceMan !

Since I know next to nothing about ballroom dancing, I've been amazed reading your posts (Sugar's, too). No need to apologize about getting "carried away"...it's wonderful to know what some of our fellow "message boarders" are involved with when we're not posting here.

Marlene :):)

darlene   

Dancing *is* a sport. Very athletic. One *has* to have very well-toned and developed muscles to move as smoothly, especially in tandem with a partner, as dancers do.

It always amazes me how easy you all make it look.

Everyone sees a ballerina's gracefulness, but few can imagine her straining muscles, or the very hard steel of point shoes that must be stuffed with cotton.

Oh, how I admire dancers!

Darlene,

I have to tell you guys a funny story about Drew from years ago. Mr. Poetry in Motion is going to kill me for this if he can find me. But hey, he started it by recounting my many mishaps over the years.

Drew was doing a production number one time, I forget what it was for, but it involved three or four doors, stairs and a ramp to slide down. Now the idea in theory(and worked well in rehearsals) was for him to run at a door and hit it open with his feet then proceed to dance thru and on to the next doors, then dance up some stairs, hit the ramp and slide down on his knees to the base at center stage and freeze.

The first and second doors worked just fine, door number three didn't! Someone had neglected to open the latch, so when he hit the door with his feet it didn't budge causing him to hit the floor on his tush. He wasted no time getting up and headed for the stairs barely missing a beat. On the second tier he hit a spot where they weren't properly lined up and his one leg went down between them. In spite of a surprised look on his face he again recovered quickly and headed for the ramp, where he slid down perfectly. Unfortunately, he had built up too much momentum and slid right into the orchestra pit, breaking two toes and a finger. It was hilarious, but painful.That particular number was eliminated from the show after that. He tries to pretend it never happened, but there's video somewhere!

Ahhhh the good old days. Got ya Drew.

Sugar :lol::lol::lol:

DanceMan   

Hey now Babi,

That's just plain wrong. Don't believe her. That story is pure fabrication. And my finger was only sprained, not broken.

You realize that now I'll have to dredge up something from your past to share.

Aggie,

Ouch indeed! Not one of my better displays to be sure, but memorable nonetheless. You'll have to save me a dance too. Hey, my dance card is filling up. Looking forward to hopefully another concert series so I can take advantage of the dance card and meet everyone.

DanceMan

James   

Good thread...somehow I missed this one.

Yup, I was a dancer too once....

....7th grade, Sister Marie Blanche's physed class, square dancing. I hammed it up & thus Sister Marie Blanche worshipped me...she sent me and a select few to the other grades to display our talents....Yeah, I was a rock star. The best part was, ..well, I was very short as a kid and in 7th grade the girls had already sprouted...let's just say that when we were dancing toe to toe, the vantage point for this short kid was quite advantageous ;)

James   

P.S. I also admire you dancers. It must take incredible talent and work to perform as gracefully as you do. One day I will learn to waltz!

darlene   

James, You naughty boy! And I've had such an angelic picture of you...We'll have to waltz someday at the next Razz gig. Although you have probably sprouted up, *I* haven't, I'm still 5'1 or thereabouts, so there will be no "vantage advantage!" :)