Sign in to follow this  
Ecstasy

Hey, Cat People...

Ecstasy   

I need some help, please. My cat, Nutmeg, is driving me nuts! We're doing some redecorating and she's freaking out. We took down our vinyl vertical blinds in the dining room and put up beautiful wooden roman shades... she sprayed them. We washed them immediately with enzyme cleaner and saved them. We're in the process of tearing up our vinyl tile flooring so we can put in bamboo laminate. The minute we started chiseling tiles... she sprayed again. I don't know what to do! I mean, we're talking about quite a bit of money that's going to go down the drain if we don't catch her immediately. Does anyone have any suggestions to help her cope with her 'territory' changes without destroying it completely? confused

I know what you're going through Kathy Lee. Our girl Mazel got into her share when we were putting down new carpet. Short of blocking off the area and catching her in time, it was a disaster.

We consulted a vet who specialized in cat behavior and only saw cats! We finally had to redo all the woodwork and carpet after all was said and done. It was a long time ago, and I don't remember how we got things under control (or I could be in denial because I don't want to remember the whole ordeal again.) I know there are remedies out there. Search around on the internet and you're likely to find some answers.

AnneG   

Gosh, Kathy Lee, you got me on this one.

How long would it take to do the flooring? Perhaps it might be easier on Nutmeg if she stayed with a friend while the work was done, and then when she returns she copes with the end result and not the process.

I would think the laminate would be pretty resistent to stains --just get a good cleaner!

Anne

Ecstasy   

She didn't do this when we put in our flooring in our bedroom last summer. I'm hoping that once we stop construction she'll relax and settle in again but that's a long way off. We still have our living room, hallway, 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and bathroom to go. Our other three cats are completely disinterested so I don't get it. I've thought of a spray bottle with water and a splash of lemon juice (cats HATE citrus) but you have to actually catch her in the process for that method to work.

Ecstasy   

Tony, if it weren't hundreds of dollars of building materials I'd be laughing right along with you. Maybe in a few weeks but I've got a lot at stake at the moment.

Kirk   

Kathy,

You may have to keep Nutmeg in a room by herself until the construction is done. She is 'marking' the new territory and is unlikely to stop until the stress of the construction is over. Can you give her a room with all of life's comforts and her favorite things?

Shelley   

I agree..try and keep her in a room by herself...Cats are creatures of habit, and they HATE change....Kathy Lee I am so jealous..Bamboo laminate laugh Thats what i want..I have the "asian" theme in my house, and I love bamboo

And for Tony..My Hubby is Filipino..He's eaten cat...said it tastes like chicken...I told him that if he ever touched my 3 cats, I'd cook him haha

Ecstasy   

Barbara - trust me, I'm approaching the 'mental block' stage! Your experience is killing me!

Anne - our dining room is small (L-shaped dining/living) so the installation time would be quick BUT then you still have the other rooms to contend with one by one.

Kirk, Shelley - we were talking last night about keeping her in the family room in the basement. I'm just afraid that when she's released she's going to do the same thing anyway because of the new look and smell of things. Plus, have you ever tried to keep a determined cat confined? Still, I think it's my best shot.

The other option is one I tried with one of my cats several years ago and that's veterinary 'tranquilizers'. The big problem is Ashley isn't aggressive and pilling her was challenging but not impossible. Nutmeg... well, let's just say that Nutmeg needs therapy. :rolleyes: She's VERY high-strung!

Shelley - we need to talk Asian! My whole house is very Chinese and I'm looking for some new ideas! Let's brainstorm, ok?

Shelley   

you got it Kathy lee...I'm lucky because my brother in law goes home to the Philippines once a year, and he brings me back alot of decorations for the house...last year he brought me the "four seasons" pictures, done in black lacquer, and made out of multicolored shells...they are beautiful....I am going to order end tables with the cork carvings encased in the glass top...they are to die for...

Ecstasy   

Is black lacquer too dark on the walls? I love those pictures with the mother-of-pearl and abalone shells. It must be beautiful! I have brightly colored embroidered silk tapestries on mine --- roses, evergreen, colorful birds (especially the peacocks!) The wooden shades really changed the whole atmosphere of the room! I'm going to swag them in Chinese satin brocade. I can hardly wait to see the bamboo floor (eventually want to put down oriental area rugs under the dining room table and the coffee table. Shudder to think what Nutmeg will try to do to them.) You've got to send me pictures of the tables when you get them! My coffee table is bamboo-inlaid and my end tables are Asian architectural (think of the wings on a temple roof with the curved, bulldog legs.)

Shelley   

I have off white walls, with black lacquer furniture, and the pictures look beautiful...they are not too dark...the mother of pearl really stands out, in many pastel shades...I guess it really depends on your wall color...I'll take pictures when they arrive...I'd love to see your room when its finished..sounds beautiful..I hope Nutmeg gets use to it without to much damage.

Ecstasy   

My daughter, Laura, came up with a good idea. We took 4 of the bamboo planks, locked them together, and laid them out on the floor. We're hoping she'll smell them with the rest of the environmental smells blended together. She'll either start the adjustment or spray them and we only run the risk of losing a couple of planks. I'm going out to run errands. When I return if they're untouched I'll 'introduce' her to them under supervision. Then we'll try to lay out a few more so the smell get a little stronger and they take up more space. If we keep gradually increasing the number of planks WHILE we're slowly removing the old tiles maybe she'll make the transition gradually with less shock value. We're afraid if we isolate her and then release her to the entire look and smell at once she'll freak and start marking every square inch of it!

cats are hard to call..especially females!! i dont have a remedy for this,but i'll give you my support and love if that helps..our cat mandy has an incurible disease whare she uses the the litter box every once in awhile in the basement,when she does'nt,i'm down there using bleach to clean up!! talk about patience,been going on for 2 years plus,but we cant bear to put her down! we've tried meds and everything,nothing has worked..we've just learned to deal w/it..lol,chris

Ecstasy   

Adrienne - I knew about Feliway spray but couldn't figure out where to spray it in a flooring situation. The plug-in I didn't know about but I think I'm going to look into that right away! Thanks so very much!!!

Chris - support and love are always accepted and valued, sweetie! You're my 'serious' animal partner! I'm truly very sorry to hear about your Mandy but I so admire your continuing with the struggle. I'm the exact same way. The support and love goes both ways. (Oh, by the way, I've read that you shouldn't use bleach because it's too close in smell to urine and attracts them. Supposedly enzyme cleaner will work better in distracting them from repeating in the same spot.)

Ecstasy   

Well, we tore out the last of the tile and underlayment. She sat there and glared at us every step of the way. My daughter, Laura, sprayed the sub-floor with enzyme cleaner just to deter her. She walked all over the sub-floor sniffing and deliberately stepping but she DIDN'T spray it! Tomorrow the family starts dropping in the new underlayment and the bamboo flooring --- and I run to the pet store to get Feliway plug-ins and talk to a few friends about ideas to feng shui the dining room! LOL <fingers crossed>

Reid C.   

The obvious solution is to keep the little dear in the garage, Kathy Lee. Then again, I do that, and the little fiend claws up my expensive Italian motorcycle seats. At least she has good taste. :rolleyes:

Ecstasy   

Nope, kiddos, all indoor cats and staying that way (especially in frigid winter temps.) Even if she were contained, we'd have a problem the moment she were let loose. It's better to break her in step by step.

She did great with the removal of the flooring last night... no surprise attacks! LOL I hope she keeps drifing in and out of the room today while we put in the new underlayment and begin the flooring. I'll work on photos, Kiwi. <smile>