Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Sad News.....

I do not want to be a sensationalism voyeur here on EC board....the dude made a mistake...he's just another human with human foibles...Lord knows we all have our moments of stoopid human tricks.....I could rack-up a slew of them myself...

"nothing to see here....lets move along!..."

Bahoo

darlene   

Oh dear.

frown

Unfortunately, many people are attracted by that kind of news.

I thought the reason fans become members of a website is because they LIKE the honoree. Along with like comes *support,* because, as Bahoo put it so perfectly, everyone is human and, no matter how "puritan" one is, each human has differnt triggers and "there but for the grace of God go I..." (whether or not you believe in God).

And while Marvin reports that people on Bruce's website are commenting on his problems, I would bet Marvin isn't sensationalizing them in that way. Marvin has a lot of class.

Because that's what hashing it all over is--just sensationalizing, pontificating, etc. I just don't think it belongs on a fan site. Such comments accomplish nothing except to disclose lot about the character (or lack thereof) of their authors.

smile --D

angelina   

My prayers and support are with EC and his family. Recovery is not easy (trust me I know)....prison is dreadful (again...I know)...but out of this..real healing on many levels can occur.

Support and love are evident (hopefully) and needed (certainly) in times like these!!

John

missy   

I think it's time to put the lock on this thread before it turns nasty again. Things have been so pleasant, once again, here on the board over the last couple of weeks. Eric is a grown man and can take care of himself and he will rise above this. Please don't use this situation to display ones own righteous indignation. Have some class and simply wish the man well. There, but for the grace of God, go you.

Ann smile

If someone is really that nosey, or if they actually think it will better their lives by knowing this information, they can find it themselves on the web. Why you would go out of your way to start a thread about it is beyond me. You call it "Sad News"? I say it concludes something personal in Eric's life that he will deal with. He has earned our respect, and I think this thread should go away.

Tim

James   

I used to drink too much. I quit in 1996. It's a miracle I didn't kill someone while driving. I should have done time in jail, or at least more than the overnight or two that I did do.

John's (Angelina) post was perfect.

I too support Eric in this tough time he's going through.

Guest Fresh   
Guest Fresh

My feeling is we,the loyal fans and supporters,should be made aware of what is happening with Eric.Knowledge is still power.However,I also feel we should not turn this site into a tabloid ala "National Enquirer".Knowing the facts is different from feeding off the carcass.Out of respect for our beloved hero and his family,we should give our support,not our criticism.PS: Isn't it celestial that my post on April 15th is #1040????

teragram   

It doesn't seem to matter about people's opinions on this board, as long as they don't go against the grain. How many times have I read, "You're in my prayers" or "my thoughts are with you"?

Leave the man alone, let him get on with it.

Nobody put the drink in his hand and told him to go and drive his jeep. If you want to pray for anybody, go and pray for the people in the world who are starving.

missm   

So very sorry to read this and will include Eric and his family in my prayers. Yes, this news does "Hurt Too Much". Brian, I am glad you posted this thread because I would rather hear it here.

Brian   

Since I started this thread, let me explain a couple things.... I love Eric's music and the fact that he put Cleveland on the map makes me extremely proud! I go back to the days of Cyrus Erie and can't tell you the number of times I stood watching his band impress & impress upon all those who were there! Everytime I met Eric, he was a gentleman....back then and now...when I met him again at Beachwood Mall a couple years ago. He is as gracious now as he was back when. We came from the same "class" of local musicians, and we all knew Eric was different and he was certain to "make it".

As has already been said,however, the drinking part is his Achilles Heel. Just over an hour ago, I drove down the same road he was stopped on. I had my family with me. Imagine if the worst had happened and there had been an accident with Eric being the cause. Whether it would be myself as the victim or anyone else would've been tragic. Thankfully he was stopped.

The sentence he was given was not anticipated,I'm sure. He had completed a detoxification program..great for him! But this judge, seeing it was a 2nd offense, did not see it lightly. I'm surprised that he has to serve jail time! Somehow, this WILL pass and Eric will grow from it.

I posted the link purely as an informational bit on the happenings of the case, which we were all aware of for some time. Let's not pretend that this is not part of our everyday world, leaving us with our heads buried in the sand.

Eric's a great guy....down to earth....loves his family incredibly....and knows now especially that the price he is about to pay is that fork in the road.....I'm a proud fan of Eric Carmen.....proud to say,one of the Cleveland guys "made it"!!!!

I don't see a problem with reading about it here, I would much rather be informed here, where we gather to put his music in a positive light, than on TMZ or "Oh No, They Didn't".

We are very fortunate that Eric contributes here on a daily basis. I don't agree with every word he says, but that's okay, he probably wouldn't want me to.

When the band recently played and he chose not to give us an in depth review of the show, many people speculated that there was some message in that. Can you imagine if he disappeared here for thirty days and no one knew why? There would be all kinds of nonsense being bandied about!

While we all play here in his "house", (and Bernie's) that fact has changed the way some of the thought process is for many. By being an every day poster, he's essentially become "one of us", so when something monumental happens, we care. If he simply left with no explanation, just like any other regular poster, we'd be wondering "is he okay?, "what happened?", etc....

just like if it was Marvin, Tommy, Darlene, Kazumi, LC, myself, etc...we are all friends, so we care.

It doesn't matter what religion you are. We all will be saying a prayer for not only him, but also for his kids, just like I'd hope all of you would if it was me. On a friendship level, this is our business, but let's also remember, on a personal level, it's none of our business.

I will keep him and his children in my thoughts and prayers, just like I would anyone else who matters to me, because he does.

Eric, if you are reading this, I hope that you take whatver path that you want when all of this is done, but know that thirty days from now, we will all be here waiting for you, just like we all have been here for you for the last thirty seven years.

I found this EC. website about a month ago.I thought it was going to be all fluff and oldies stuff. Boy was I surprised when I saw all the lively posts going on. I couldn't wait to get home just to see what's going on. It has always been interesting and sometimes controversial. Eric,you always have an interesting point of view. We love and respect you and look forward to posting again.Love Robin

this is a tough call here..reality bites,at the same time,we have to live with it as fans..i wish eric the best..i wish us the best..hard to swallow?? oh yeah,very painful...what more can i say?? lol,chris

Drupelet   

I just think that it's important for Eric to remember that he actually has a community of supporters out here—people who rejoice in his triumphs and commiserate in his struggles. I'm not interested in judging him.

This does suck, but the whole thing could have played out so much worse. I'm glad that no one was physically injured and that these consequences are, comparably, as light as they are.

I'll still be here when this is all over and I know all of you will be too. Until then all we can do is cheer him on. He'll definitely get through this. It may be a gift in disguise—a personal event that springboards him to the next level...

Best wishes,

Drupelet

Good things and bad things happen to all us of in these lives of ours. We learn from each. I once planted a car in the middle of a tree when I was drunk many years ago. Im glad Im still here. I think a guy who is quite popular with many posters here once said many years ago , "judge ye not, lest ye be judged." (Ofcourse I'm speaking of Jack Lemmon who was a pretty sharp guy.) We are all frail, we all have issues and have done things that perhaps we are not necessarily proud of. We are all in pain in one form or another and we all have weaknesses. I pity those who do not realize it.

30 days is a difficult thing to contemplate...A long time to think about things...I guess that's the best you can do...Use this time to think about how to make your life better...So you never have to so through this again.

Muzza   

I am truly concerned for Eric, but also for his wife and children. As we debate whether this thread should be here or not and what brought it about, we do well to remember this is real life happening to some very special people. It's not some soap here for our entertainment.

It is my prayer that they all with have a special portion of God's comfort and strength for the days, weeks and months ahead. pray The affects won't go away after 30 days.

Eric, his family and friends ALL need our love and support at this time, NOT our morbid curiosity or witless comments.

I'm sure there are those on this board who have been close to Eric, including Bernie, who are finding this a very hard time. Let's stand with them too over the next month.

Muzza cool