Sign in to follow this  
sterling

Too old to rock? Chicago Trib article about 60 somethings dominating summer concert

sterling   

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0510-old-rockersmay10,0,1746745.story

Here is an interesting article from today's Chicago Tribune about the main players out there on the rock scene are basically 60 somethings. Actually Bruce Springsteen is one of the younger ones at 59!

So the question is why do these more mature rockers get the best money making tours and successful reviews? It has to be in at least some cases the quality of what is there.....

darlene   

It's definitely the quality. And they do the tours because they love performing. The music is pulsing in their blood and they have to give it out. And because they're great, they attract the crowds.

When you're young, it's easy to say, "I hope I'm not doing this when I'm 45." I said that about teaching in my first 10 years because I am a perfectionist and it's an exhausting process. But then you look around and think, "I don't want to stop now. I love what I do. I love the kids."

The violin is the same. From the time I started at age 11, I knew I would never stop playing. And I practice every night, sick or well, migraine or not, early or late. If it's midnight and I haven't practiced due to being busy, I'll play my trill studies, scales a few double stops and some unaccompanied Bach until 1 AM.

I hope my mind goes before my body because I can't imagine being lucid and dealing with never being able to play again. I couldn't stand that.

I've only known one string musician in my life, a violist who developed arthritis, who just put the instrument down, went into the business world, and was okay with it. She was able never to look back or miss it. She said she wanted to go out "on top" while she was still great. I can't imagine how she could do it.

I know how those rockers feel. It's like..."what do I possibly do now?" when you no longer can play. I don't even want to think of that.

And probably neither do most of the rock artists.

smile --Darlene

It is definitely the quality. I also think it is the way our generation lives as a whole. We take better care of ourselves,and are active. We grew up knowing smoking, and drinking to excess was not good for us. We also have better health care and medications available to us. Some of the things that might have sidelined us in the past can be taken care of. I'm happy to see these artists mentioned in the article are touring and not ready for a rocker.