Sign in to follow this  
MJ

Top Songs in NYC That Caused the Shivers

MJ   

All 17! I can't narrow it down any further than that lol.

Let me just say that each song took me all kinds of places. I never really appreciated Ecstacy until I watched you know who (lol) play it on the doubleneck in front of me.

I think the live CD doesn't even do justice to them now - they have somehow topped even their performance from the Saturday show. I can only imagine what Cleveland is going to sound like...

Bernie - is there a chance we could see some video or audio of either of these shows sometime in the future (hint hint).

AnneG   

It's always "If You Change Your Mind" for me. I love the buildup to that song, and the anticipation. It gets me every single time. Hearing it on Sunday's sound check was a gift I wasn't expecting --I just knew the rest of the night was going to be perfect!

Anne

marvin   

Hmmm...here are three:

1. All By Myself
2. If You Change Your Mind
3. I Wanna Be With You
4. Substitute
5. I'm A Rocker

Ok so I can't count!

MJ   

Marv we know you are tired - you will be excused, lol. Have we lost Lew? Why hasn't he put his 98 cents in (forget 2 cents - cost of living went up).

01. All By Myself (what a surprise)
02. I Can Remember
03. Tonight
04. Overnight Sensation
05. Last Dance (missed the fiddle player!)

Missing songs:

01. Don't Wanna Say Goodbye (but well replaced by All By Myself!)
02. Driving Around

MJ   

You know I am really leaning towards If You Change Your Mind as my favorite during Sunday night - Eric was just so "on" - but then they all were pulling out all the stops for a great show. I can't say enough about Jim's drumming! And I just love Dave (no not you Lew lol)....

JohnO   

"Substitute" was a definite highlight for me. An all-time classic Who tune that's definitely right up there with the 'Berries' best! The Who and Beatles are two bands that are extremely hard to cover and get the songs just right - our guys are definitely the best at nailing them! (BTW, The Choir did a killer "The Kids Are Alright" at both of their March 06 Cleveland shows...hmmmm....adding EC to the vocal mix for that one - !!!!).

Other highlights for me - "Tonight" is, to me, a better opener that "I Wanna Be With You", which, in hand, works great as the 3rd song of the set.

"Ecstasy" and "Go All The Way" live always send chills up my spine. "Overnight Sensation" always seems to sound different, depending on where I'm standing/sitting at the particular show. Sunday's may have been the best version I've heard. Eric's vocals on "If You Change..." were awesome both nights...

Great to see Wally temporarily retire the Parker and go to the Flying V and 100% vintage axes (all at least 40 years old, I'd guess)....perhaps triggered by the Gibson ad? While the Parker seems to me to have greater cutting power, that V has such a great tone!

Agree with Early - "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine" needs to be taken out of the mothballs!...

MJ   

I had asked Wally at the M&G on Saturday if he was going to play the Flying V lol. I was also glad the Parker didn't come out - there's just something about that V, along with the Rickenbacker and the Gibson Double that just resonates Wally's best guitar licks. I think his V is almost 50 years old now lol. OMG it's older than I am lol!

JohnO   

Nah, that V's either a '67 or a '68 at the earliest, unless it's heavily modified and refinished.

The first Flying V's were built in '57 (prototypes) and released to the general public in '58 (all natural korina wood finishes), and then discontinued in '59, due to poor sales. (The originals in VG-mint condition are worth anywhere from $60 to 100 grand....and should NOT be taken out on the road!) Gibson started building and issuing V's again in '67, with mahogany bodies....which is, I'm guessing, what Wally's been playing all these years. Now, if it's been refinished, and new pickups added - it's possible it's older....but it looks pretty stock to me.

Hehe, I did invite Pat, as I had Jimmy's tix, but he was unable to come, and as the guy behind me also found out, it was hard to get rid of them outside, not a heavy foot traffic area, unless you were looking for a thick steak!

MJ   

And what may I ask caused the estrangement of Lew & Pat in the first place? Was it a fall-out due to Lew's insessant jabs at members on the board? LOL.