Sign in to follow this  
Eric Carmen

Friday at the State Theater

LC   
Eric Carmen said:

I've gotta tell you, the vibe between Wally and I has never been better. You can see it on stage, and it translates into the performance. When we're 'On,' nothing can stop us. I love being up there with Mr Bryson. We're unbeatable.

Eric, that was kind of a heartwarming post... Made my day, as a lot of fans might agree. Gracias!

It's a blessing that the original four Raspberries are still around to play together, and are actually doing it with such soul (how many 1970s-era bands can say that?). And it's especially gratifying to hear that the chemistry between Wally and you is better than ever. Encore!

Art   

With everyone getting along so well, which was just wonderful to see first hand on Friday, can the studio be far away?

Gene   

I loved the Raspberries when I first saw (and heard) them. If, back in the day, there had been a band who could have looked the Raspberries in the face and said, "Step back, this is how you do it"... that band would have been none other than the band I saw Friday night. To me there was a vibe... a good one, but calm... a certain smoothness about the everything I witnessed. What a great show. Can we have a do-over?

eric, dont know if you ever noticed, but wally is constantly 'air-piano-ing' along w/ you when you play! i get a huge kick out of it, b/c he is just so digging your playing, & u can also see when he really digs how you nailed a song vocally, maxxed out a big ending vocally, etc. its like he's always saying 'i got your back, bro', but you sure got our front'!

it really hit home for me during this show how wally, maybe more than any other other guitar player out there, is able to support, understand, & complement eric's tunes w/ his playing (& singing) so naturally, tastefully, & knowledgeably

The centers top and bottom were completely full. All it took was counting the seats in the out side rows [20] and counting empty to almost empty rows. I always move to different areas to check how it sounds there. Took a couple of mins up and then down.

Ha! Well, I know this...a great band like The Zombies drew a couple hundred when they hit Cleveland...a couple thousand proves The Raspberries have more than just a handful of die hard fans...Those 45 dollars seats looked sold out.

darlene   

I've always known Eric and Wally were musical soulmates from the moment I first saw them onstage. Although he doesn't post on the internet and I've always thought him to be a man of few words (at least to me), it's obvious Wally feels the same way about Eric. This was the first Raspberries concert for quite a few people and I knew people would be excited when they experienced this special bond between Wally and Eric and, in fact, the electricity that binds all the guys together. That's what makes Raspberries magic.

I'm so glad Eric put it into words, though, because that validates the knowledge that's been the basis for my optimism all these years. I've always perceived Raspberries magic as something that just "has to be." Eric's post gives clarity to that natural feeling I've always had.

It ain't just "lemonade."

:) --Darlene

I don't know if this has been mentioned any place else but was this concert video taped? I sure hope so if not for professional reasons at least for your personal use.

I am so glad that this concert was such a success!! I'm sorry I missed it. With all these wonderful reports I hope things don't end here. They shouldn't, there is too much talent.

I love all of you guys, thanks so much for making the time and effort to takes to make these concerts a huge success. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Love June

june,as i mentioned in the "mixer' topic i brought up here,i have a hunch it might have been recorded,but videotaped?..that i'm not sure..did'nt see cameras that i noticed,but i did notice the condensor mic maybe 15-20 feet away from the mixer board..whether it was for an overall sound for the soundguy(mic was directly centered in the venue)to listen to,i do'nt know..maybe eric could solve that question!! lol,chris

Trindy   

Eric, you may not know it but by posting this, you just made my Christmas...

Let me tell you something my cousin told me that I told a few other people over the weekend. My cousin is the only person I personally know who ever attended a Beatles concert. He went to the Cleveland Stadium show in '66 and was part of the crowd that went nuts and rushed the stage. I talked to him about it at dinner Friday, and said it must be cool to know that to his dying day he'll be able to say he saw the Beatles in concert.

Here's what he said to me, and I know he was not putting me on:

"If it were possible for John and George to come back from the dead, and the Beatles got back together and planned a reunion concert, and the reunion concert was scheduled on the same night as a Raspberries concert, and I could go to either one or the other...I'd go to the Raspberries concert."

That is what you have wrought.

You wanted to be the Beatles? Crazy ambition, right? Well, to some people, you guys are better.

You and Wally have something together that transcends anything either of you could accomplish alone. It's special and it's magic and I'm sure it can be hard to create sometimes because you're both different people, but jeez, when you get together and remember why it is that you formed this damn band in the first place...which I believe is because you both wanted to be able to write, sing and play the kind of music you loved...then all the other stuff has to take a back seat to that! And there could be no better bedrock for it all than the solid bass playing of Dave and drumming of Jim. And Dave brings his own special element to the songs that it wouldn't have without him, either. In short: YOU GUYS ARE MAGIC TOGETHER. And anything you can do to help keep the magic going like you are now, to the point where people will keep having experiences like this, is all to the good.

Happy New Year indeed! The happier you guys are, the happier we all will be!

wow,we are truly obsessed fans..i think more than ever..by the way,i've heard mccartney in concert w/his bands..but that night..was the BEST concert i've heard overall..that says something i think..it stands toe to toe with the wings 76 concert at richfield way back when..really..lol,chris

Trindy   

And another thing: coming to Otto Moser's beforehand gave my sister and cousin the first real feeling of being part of a whole "brotherhood" of people who love this band. They had always felt kind of isolated and alone in their fandom...I told them they weren't, but they'd never seen or been part of a fan group like this before...and being surrounded at the restaurant by all those people from out of town who had come just to see their Raspberries blew them away. My cousin kept saying "I can't believe you came all the way from Texas...I can't believe you came from Ottawa...that's incredible." (I said "Too bad the people from England, New Zealand, Japan, etc., aren't here this time.)

It's a precious ability to touch and move people, and the way I see it, it should be preserved and extended for as long as possible!

darlene   

What a spectacular post, Trindy!

It cuts right to the heart of why we all love Raspberries--the MAGIC! I know exactly what your cousin means about Beatles vs. Raspberries.

At the NY March of Dimes Concert, John Lennon and Harry Nilsson appeared on the stage that day along with Raspberries (May Pang was there also), and I was excited to see them, especially John, but it was RASPBERRIES that excited me oh so very much more! There was that tangible, palpable SOMETHING that made me absolutely crazy for them over anything else, and it's still the same for me.

I've seen McCartney when Linda was with him, and it was exciting, but it still wasn't Raspberries. For me, (and obviously, for so many others) Raspberries is a mystical experience.

:) --Darlene