Sign in to follow this  
LobsterLvr

Other Concerts & Happenings That Weekend

JohnO   

I'm the one who mentioned "mugged" as a joke....I love NY, but while it's far safer than it was, let's say, 20-25 years ago, it's also not nearly as interesting as it was back then either. I used to love to hit the area just north of Times Square, and go to the sleazy clubs and peepshows, most of which have been eradicated (or replaced by generic/chain stores).

Likewise, it seems like a lot of Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave. and a couple of the other main drags) has been turned into strip malls now. I hear they're even tearing down and rebuilding/modernizing a lot of Coney Island near the boardwalk! Hell, I can stay home and see that.....

NYC is freakin Disneyland nowadays, not much chance of getting mugged on busy 8th ave during daylight hours. You have a better chance of getting rammed by an idiot with a stroller and on the cel phone. I used to deliver Jewelry in NYC during the bad old 80s, and the Duece was my favorite street, fun things to look at, and not much traffic. I'm sure the crack dealers & pinps would have loved to have known the long haired rocker walking by had a million dollars worth of diamonds in his pocket:)

The only thing I could think of that could possibly disturb the calm of New York City's streets would by the distant strains of "Brown Eyed Girl" emanating from some local club.

:wacko:

Bernie

marvin   

Funny thing about "Brown-Eyed Girl", EVERY bar band in the world plays it, every 'Classic Rock' radio station has it on constant rotation, you'd think that people would be sick of it. And yet, go to a party and if the song gets played by a band or by a dj, EVERYONE gets up to dance.

JohnO   

Re: Brown-Eyed Girl - It was essentially bad formula Van M., who was being pressured by his label (Bang) to write "hits". He originally planned to call it "Brown-Skinned Girl" (now THAT would have drawn major airplay in '67, no???), and had to tone down the original lyrics several times at the label's request.

While it's his most played song ever, Van has loved it so much that he's refused to play it live for most of his career, occasionally resurrecting it (most recently in '05 or '06). Compared to most of his writing while with Them, or post-Bang label, B-EG just plain stinks.....my 2 cents...

Don H   

America the night before, than Raspberries???...now you're talking! Two of my very favorits in a 24 hour period!!! What a wonderful world. See you in NY City.

Billy J. Kramer at the Cutting room on Sat. night...Is Sammy Davis Jr. singing background on Brown Eyed Girl?...This is a legit question and no wise ass remarks like "Glass Eyed J*w"...Remember, i am a new moderator and I will ban anybody from the board for these nasty,indiscretional attempts at levity...

I'm being stalked by Muzza...First, he shows up at WAB...And now he posts right after me, every topic, everytime...He must not be in the New Zealand hierarchy for ministers wiyh all this time on his hands...Yea, thats it...He's a secondary minister as opposed to a "Prime Minister"...(I may throw myself off the board for that joke)

I'd like to see America but I'm not sure if I will be in town in time. They tour extensively and I actually see them every couple of years so it's not a big deal for me if I can't make it. B.B. King's also have a Beatles brunch on Saturday at noon. It's a bit pricey ($40) but it might be fun.